Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Throne Rooms  (Read 4420 times)

NateDominion

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
Throne Rooms
« on: August 01, 2015, 08:48:24 am »

Now I know in the rules it says TRing a TR is giving yourself 2 actions to TR, But my friend told me Donald X. Vaccarino tweeted "I love throne rooming throne rooms and play a card like a billion times"
Can someone explain this to me?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Throne Rooms
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 08:58:00 am »
+2

The rules are correct. It might help to think of it like this: Throne Room makes you play a card twice. This means that you literally play the card once, follow the instructions written on it, and when you've finished playing it for the first time, you play it again. It does not mean that you play the card once with its effect doubled.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 08:58:30 am »
+7

He was wrong.
I'm pretty sure Donald doesn't use Twitter.

NateDominion

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 04:53:13 pm »

The rules are correct. It might help to think of it like this: Throne Room makes you play a card twice. This means that you literally play the card once, follow the instructions written on it, and when you've finished playing it for the first time, you play it again. It does not mean that you play the card once with its effect doubled.
Exactly what I said.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 05:00:55 pm »
+10

He was wrong.
I confirm.

Zag

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 03:23:30 pm »

Sorry if I'm being dense, but just to confirm: 

Say you play throne room and use it to activate another throne room.  This would only be useful if you have TWO additional actions in your hand, since the first use of Throne Room II would need one action card, but that's now used up.  Then the second use of Throne Room II would need another action card upon which to operate, or it's just wasted.  Right?  We've definitely been doing this wrong in our games, then.  We've just said that Throne Room / Throne Room / X means you perform the X action 4 times.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 03:25:54 pm »
+2

Say you play throne room and use it to activate another throne room.  This would only be useful if you have TWO additional actions in your hand, since the first use of Throne Room II would need one action card, but that's now used up.  Then the second use of Throne Room II would need another action card upon which to operate, or it's just wasted.  Right?  We've definitely been doing this wrong in our games, then.  We've just said that Throne Room / Throne Room / X means you perform the X action 4 times.

You're mostly right, but there's one additional wrinkle: if your first play of Throne Room II is on an action that draws cards, you may be able to use the second play of it on a card that the first play of it drew. For example, Throne Room - Throne Room - Smithy will draw you six cards, and one of those can be the next target for the Throne Room.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Zag

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 03:39:10 pm »

Thanks.  And I see that the wiki page for the Throne Room answered this question, so I really was just being dense.  :)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 04:03:19 pm »

You're mostly right, but there's one additional wrinkle: if your first play of Throne Room II is on an action that draws cards, you may be able to use the second play of it on a card that the first play of it drew. For example, Throne Room - Throne Room - Smithy will draw you six cards, and one of those can be the next target for the Throne Room.

And to add to this, if you play Throne Room on Throne Room while Smithy is the only action in your hand, if one of those 6 cards you draw is an action, you MUST play it twice. Even if you don't want to (forced trasher, etc). Thone Room lacks built-in accountability to stop you from lying and saying you drew no actions, and Donald said he would have made it optional if making the card today, but that's how it works.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 05:00:09 pm »
+1

He was wrong.
I confirm.

Are you confirming that you don't use Twitter, or are you confirming that Watno is pretty sure you don't use Twitter?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 05:53:38 pm »
+5

He was wrong.
I confirm.

Are you confirming that you don't use Twitter, or are you confirming that Watno is pretty sure you don't use Twitter?
The important thing is the happy memories we're making.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 08:39:11 pm »
+4

He was wrong.
I confirm.

The important thing is the happy memories we're making.

^ Sounds like a tweet.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.366 seconds with 20 queries.