Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I hate it when BM is the best option...  (Read 1550 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
I hate it when BM is the best option...
« on: July 30, 2015, 01:28:43 am »

Code: [Select]
Sage, Smugglers, Warehouse, Watchtower, Farming Village, Cartographer, Embassy, Market, Mine, Mystichttp://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150729/log.516dc40ce4b082c74d7c8baa.1438233447112.txt
He went Embassy+BM. I went for the engine. Embassy+BM is way too fast.

Then I made the mistake of buying smugglers because I didn't realize what he would do. I figured I could get good stuff with smugglers because he has a higher rating than me. He'll buy good stuff for the engine. A high rated player isn't going to buy Mine here, and there's no other cards on the board that I wouldn't want more of.
Surely, he'll play the engine. Why would anyone go for BM when the engine is more fun?

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
Re: I hate it when BM is the best option...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 03:13:05 am »
+1

Why would anyone go for BM when the engine is more fun?

When the engine is weaker, it's more fun-per-minute to play a very short BM-game and an interesting engine in the next game.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 04:57:23 am »

Is making Embassy missing the reshuffle a good thing in this case to prevent them from colliding? Or was your opponent just a bit lucky to be able to play an Embassy on turns 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, and 14? (Probably both.)
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 05:14:02 am »
+2

Open Silver/Warehouse if you go engine. Smugglers is an awful open when your opponent might well go BM and as P2 you could have known this by opening Silver/X instead of Smugglers/Silver. Turn 3 you don't want to play the Smugglers because if you're going to play the engine you really want to avoid playing with more than 8 treasures in your deck, so gaining the Silver is terrible self-junking. Buy Warehouse over the Watchtower (also a second Warehouse if you had opened Warehouse/S).

Then because there's no trashing, meaning your treasures will stay in your deck for the rest of the game, your first 5-cost has to be a Mine.

I'd still expect Embassy-BM to be better, but this allows you to win at least a decent minority of the games.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 08:19:26 am »

Just to add to the above...

No thinning + weak virtual economy (Market, Mystic.. meh) + weak gaining (Smugglers) + no way to slow down opponent's Embassy-BM = engine is probably bad

Even in best case scenario -- you're drawing your deck, with a couple Coppers that are now Silvers, and 2 or 3 buys -- you're still probably not double-Provincing.  At least not before the game is very close to over.  So I think this will just take too long to set up compared to a double Embassy deck.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.