Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: "Grand Smithy"  (Read 3348 times)

Gibbar

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
"Grand Smithy"
« on: July 28, 2015, 06:44:04 pm »
+1

The card's name is definitely a work in progress. Please let me know your thoughts:

"Grand Smithy" - Action
$5 cost

+1 Buy
You may discard up to two cards from your hand. Reveal two cards from the top of your deck per card discarded. Discard any of the revealed cards, putting the rest back on your deck.
+3 cards
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 07:06:43 pm by Gibbar »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: "Grand Smithy"
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 07:15:32 pm »

Very minor note: You don't need the "you may", because "up to" includes 0. See Chapel.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 07:49:13 pm »

I like it but the effect might even be too powerful for $5 (but not strong enough for $6).
I would suggest doing it this way:
"Discard up to three (or four) cards from your hand. Reveal a card from the top of your deck per card discarded. Discard any of the revealed cards, putting the rest back on your deck."

I think +1 buy, strong sifting, then +3 cards is stronger than cantrip plus strong sifting (Cartographer), because not only can you pretty much choose what cards you draw, but you can draw them in the same action, so I don't think this should look as many cards as Cartographer does so easily, despite the discarding drawback.
Besides, there are other versions of a stronger +3 cards at $5 without the +Buy (Journeyman, Catacombs).

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 07:51:22 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 07:53:36 pm »

Besides, there are other versions of a stronger +3 cards at $5 without the +Buy (Journeyman, Catacombs).

And some with the +buy (Margrave, Council Room).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 08:08:20 pm »

And some with the +buy (Margrave, Council Room).
By "versions of a stronger +3 cards" I meant "versions of a stronger +3 cards" not "+3 cards + an attack" or "+4 cards with drawback", but yes, those are good comparisons too.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 08:18:52 pm »
+1

Very minor note: You don't need the "you may", because "up to" includes 0. See Chapel.

You don't need the "you may", but it's friendly. (Cf. Dame Anna.)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 11:51:43 pm »

Hmm, never noticed this, and now I'm bugged by the fact that Chapel and Dame Anna use inconsistent wording.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

shmeur

• Young Witch
  • I'm a Dominion card lol.
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 12:11:39 am »
+3

Hmm, never noticed this, and now I'm bugged by the fact that Chapel and Dame Anna use inconsistent wording.

Dame Anna is just polite.
"I can move mountains; I can work a miracle."

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 12:56:44 am »
+2

I think it's nice to put "you may" along with "up to" if there's a reason you might play the card without discarding/trashing any cards. Like you might just play Dame Anna for the attack. But "you may" seems unnecessary when the card doesn't do anything else. If you're not going to trash to Chapel or discard to Cellar, you normally don't play it at all. Yes of course sometimes you do (Golem, Peddler, etc.), but mostly that's where I would draw the line.

Gibbar

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 03:23:28 pm »

Thanks all for your comments - particularly Library Adventurer. I hadn't realised that the card is a touch overpowered.

I have another idea which I've been thinking about over the last week (completely different from "grand smithy"):

CARD NAME - Action - Attack
$7 cost

Each player (including you) with four or more cards in hand discards a card that is not a victory card or a curse (or reveals a hand consisting entirely of victory cards and curses). You may gain a card costing up to the total value in coins of the discarded cards. If it is a victory card, trash this.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:26:46 pm by Gibbar »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.