Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: cantrips  (Read 5136 times)

mee

• Scout
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
cantrips
« on: July 27, 2015, 02:39:44 pm »

I really dislike that these are called cantrips meaning you cant lose by getting them I know of at least 2 times they are bad besides for the obvious dead draw(drawing them without actions)
1)when you are hit by a discard attack  you don't know should you discard your silver or cantrip or your cantrip or copper you don't know what your next card is to be able to make that decision
2)this is pawn specific you can make the wrong choice 
how many other ones are there

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: cantrips
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 02:52:05 pm »
+4

There's also Masquerade, Tournament (mostly your opponent's), Reactions, Wishing Well and Hunting Party at least.

It doesn't mean that you can't lose by getting them, it just means that it replaces itself with another card and action (in the context of Dominion, that is; in other games, it means other things, and it means yet other things outside of games).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 04:16:02 pm »

Cantrip is a word of Scots origin to mean a magical spell of any kind, or one which reads the same forwards and backwards. It can also be a witch's trick, or a sham.

Sounds entirely accurate then!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 04:48:19 pm »
+1

A thread about when cantrips are good vs bad: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=2308.0. As was said, cantrip doesn't mean that they can't hurt you. It just means that playing one doesn't either reduce your handsize or your number of actions remaining.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 05:03:13 pm »

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 01:20:25 pm »

While all of the above is true, I would still say that when the choice is between buying a cheap cantrip or nothing, I will almost always go for the cheap cantrip. I rarely play terminal draw without Villages anyway, and the other situations are mostly rather niche, so yeah.

(of course, Rats is a notable exception)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:21:26 pm by Aleimon Thimble »
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 05:44:04 pm »

1)when you are hit by a discard attack  you don't know should you discard your silver or cantrip or your cantrip or copper you don't know what your next card is to be able to make that decision

Yes, but you have more information than you might think. You should know what cards are left in your deck, the expected value of the next card, the marginal utility of the cantrip's other effects relative to the cost of not having a Copper, etc. I've found that rarely am I in a position where having a cantrip during a discard attack was a really big negative. You almost always buy cantrips for the *other* things the cards do "for free", so I'm rarely going to avoid cantrips in the presence of a discard attack. I guess I wouldn't pick up Pearl Diver on $2.

2)this is pawn specific you can make the wrong choice 

Pawn is only a cantrip with one of the 6 possible choices - I don't think you can say "cantrips are bad because when you play a non-cantrip you might regret it"

"Cantrip" isn't short for "can't lose" or anything like that - it's derived from the use of the term in MTG, a card that replaces itself.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 02:00:51 pm »
+2

"Cantrip" isn't short for "can't lose" or anything like that

Obviously, it's "can't rip", not "can't lose".
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 02:07:22 pm »

Indeed.  Cantrip cards are made of Kevlar.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 04:27:56 pm »

I'm curious what game OP has played that uses the term "cantrip" for cards that are truly never ever bad.  Magic cantrips cost you at least 1 mana to replace them.  The original term cantrips comes from D&D afaik and they are really cheap spells but they still cost you something afaik. 

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 03:20:43 am »

The original term cantrips comes from D&D afaik and they are really cheap spells but they still cost you something afaik.

Actually the original term is an archaic Scots word and it means a spell or a trick.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 12:24:19 pm »

"Cantrip" isn't short for "can't lose" or anything like that

Obviously, it's "can't rip", not "can't lose".
but playing one allows you to rip the top card off your deck
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 10:44:29 pm »
+2

The original term cantrips comes from D&D afaik and they are really cheap spells but they still cost you something afaik.

Actually the original term is an archaic Scots word and it means a spell or a trick.
I meant originally, as in, as soon as it became a gaming term.  I'm aware that like Witch, Curse, and Province, a entirely new linguistic concept wasn't spawned just for a game mechanic.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 10:30:58 am »

I meant originally, as in, as soon as it became a gaming term.  I'm aware that like Witch, Curse, and Province, a entirely new linguistic concept wasn't spawned just for a game mechanic.

I didn't know that it had meaning outside games.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.