Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Seprix's Card Creation Emporium  (Read 21416 times)

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
Re: Seprix's Card Creation Emporium
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2018, 01:27:51 pm »

New concept: Trading

+ switchers ended up in the Outtakes, a concept similar to Trading as showcased in Eerie Market, though Trading could encompass more than that. See the first Jester under Cornucopia in the Outtakes, and the Jester under Orphans.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2018, 06:17:02 am »

Diadem is arguably the only one-way realization of this idea.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2019, 02:03:32 pm »

Dominion:Proposed Changes

For now I am going to ignore themes and just do whatever, I might revamp further and try to keep cards in theme.

Base Set

Harbinger -$3
+1 Action
Choose one: +1 Card; or put a card from the discard pile into your hand.

Stronger than Mountain Village in that you get to choose whether to draw or not, but much weaker than Mountain Village by virtue of not being a village, plus no tricks involving stacking without help involving actions in play or Teacher/Event Tokens.

Bureaucrat -$4

Gain a Silver to your hand.

This might be too strong for $4 but somehow I doubt it. Doesn't need to be an attack either.

yeah that's really it for Base. It's a near perfect set.

Intrigue

There could be some buffing for Harem, but come on, Harem is actually a fine enough card that people shit on too much and I dunno, it's nearly a perfect set now. The second edition made this from one of the worst sets to one of the best, easily.

Seaside

Oh boy. Yeah, this set really needed a second edition. Hilariously enough, I'm not touching any of the $2s like Pearl Diver. They're fine too.

Navigator -$4

+$2

You may look at up to the top 5 cards of your deck. You may discard one or all, and put the rest back in any order.

Simple changes, make the scouting optional and give better deck control with both shuffles and discard choices.

Pirate Ship -$4

Errata: this is perfect

Treasure Map-$4

Don't topdeck the Golds

Explorer -$5

Gain a Gold, and you may reveal a Province to put it into your hand.

I feel like this is overall a buff despite losing the Silvers to hand, Gold gainers are fine.

Merchant Ship -$5

Slap on a buy, obvious stuff

Wharf -$5

Remove the buy, obvious stuff, or at least remove the buy on the second turn

Alchemy

Shouldn't exist, find more things to do with Potion and try again. Bigger project, apparently my Potter card was cool but I'll have to take another look at this later. Potion also probably should be like Charm in that you either get a Silver effect or a Potion. Or you could do something else radical, like give it a buy. Could be interesting.

Prosperity

Trade Route

Probably just kill it, replace it with something else. Way too complex and horribly designed.

Contraband

+$4 instead of +$3

Counting House -$5

Choose one: Either do what Counting House does, or set it aside, putting it to your hand at the start of your next turn.

Might be too strong, but eh seems like a fine idea to start with.

Mountebank -$5

If you don't discard a curse, you get a curse. If you do, you get a copper.

Royal Seal -$4

Once per turn: When you gain a card, you may topdeck it.

Cornucopia

Tournament should have prizes for everybody, and replace Diadem with something else. Replace Harvest.

Hinterlands

Kill Duchess, make Fool's Gold simple by getting rid of the reaction, get rid of Noble Brigand, Nomad Camp topdeck is optional, get rid of Mandarin. Mostly getting rid of bad cards here, with no obvious ideas to replace them. Thief variants are generally awful, and while Cache is awful it's not awful enough to warrant a real change. Could make it cost $4. I dunno. Probably is amazing in money then.

Dark Ages

Urchin/Merc is way too dominating and the game to get Merc is way too swingy. Why not just have Urchin blow up into a Merc during the clean up phase? Sure it's just as dominant but at least then it's not as bad. Probably also don't let Merc generate coin.

Get rid of Rebuild. Who cares if it is weak, monolithic strategies are bad for the meta. Make Bandit Camp Spoils optional.

Cultist -$5

+3 Cards

Each other player gains a Ruins.

There was some talk about chain or send a ruin, but realistically this just makes Cultist so obviously better than Witch that it's not even funny. Don't have chaining at all, give it an extra draw to compensate for the lack of cursing.

Adventures

I hate the Peasant traveller line so much. Probably to make it more fine you get rid of Disciple but fundamentally the entire line, it's broken as a concept. Change Warrior so it doesn't kill other Warriors, changes everybody wants, fine. Otherwise a nearly perfect set.

Empires

Donate is the closest thing to a sin.

Nocturne

Get rid of Fool. Cobbler is meh but whatever, this set is mostly fine.

Renaissance

Artifacts were a mistake. Treasurer doesn't need Key and is already massively strong without it. Border Guard doesn't need a tacked on Artifact. Flag Bearer was a mistake in general. Swashbuckler doesn't need a Gold generator, the coin tokens are fine enough.

Cargo Ship is bad for the game. You either have it in hand Turn 3 and win, or you don't, and lose. It's a worse version of Transmogrify. I have no immediate hot fixes either. Have to think about it more.

Sinister Plot is pretty nuts and probably shouldn't exist either, although it's not immediately obvious to me. A lot of the Projects should be toned down, because currently nearly all of them are must buys, and are easy to access.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2019, 06:08:24 pm »

Harbinger -$3
+1 Action
Choose one: +1 Card; or put a card from the discard pile into your hand.

This seems only slightly better than it is now, and certainly not any more interesting. Probably less interesting, since this is closer to another existing card and the current Harbinger has synergy with Vassal.

Bureaucrat -$4

Gain a Silver to your hand.

This might be too strong for $4 but somehow I doubt it. Doesn't need to be an attack either.

How about something that floods your opponents with Silvers instead?

Bureaucrat -$4
+$3
+1 Buy
Each other player gains a Silver.

This would teach newer players that gaining a zillion Treasures isn't always a good idea. I'm honestly not sure if it should be an Attack.

Seaside

Oh boy. Yeah, this set really needed a second edition. Hilariously enough, I'm not touching any of the $2s like Pearl Diver. They're fine too.

I'd maybe have Pearl Diver look at the bottom 3 and top deck any number of them.

Pirate Ship -$4

I'd merge it with Cutpurse:

Pirate Ship -$4
Choose one: +$1 for each Pirate Token on your mat, or each other player discards a Treasure or reveals they can't, and take a Pirate Token for each Treasure discarded.

Treasure Map-$4

Don't topdeck the Golds

Or only top deck 2 of them.

Merchant Ship -$5

Slap on a buy, obvious stuff

Honestly, I might just cut this one entirely. +$ isn't nearly as useful in general as +Card or +Action at the start of your turn.

Royal Seal -$4

Is this supposed to be a Project or something? Introducing later mechanics into an earlier set is a really bad idea.

Cornucopia

Tournament should have prizes for everybody, and replace Diadem with something else. Replace Harvest.

You mean one Trusty Steed per player and so on? I think that would make it less fun, though I know opinions are strongly divided on this.

I'd definitely want Followers replaced, though. There shouldn't be a monopoly on such an irritating attack.

Hinterlands

Kill Duchess, make Fool's Gold simple by getting rid of the reaction, get rid of Noble Brigand, Nomad Camp topdeck is optional, get rid of Mandarin. Mostly getting rid of bad cards here, with no obvious ideas to replace them. Thief variants are generally awful, and while Cache is awful it's not awful enough to warrant a real change. Could make it cost $4. I dunno. Probably is amazing in money then.

Nomad Camp, Duchess and Mandarin have interesting on-gains that should be on better cards. Cache should be chucked as we now have Banquet.

Dark Ages

Urchin/Merc is way too dominating and the game to get Merc is way too swingy. Why not just have Urchin blow up into a Merc during the clean up phase? Sure it's just as dominant but at least then it's not as bad. Probably also don't let Merc generate coin.

Urchin/Merc is an abomination that should be nuked from orbit. Make a different Hermit/Madman thing that doesn't destroy a bit of your soul every time you play with it.

Adventures

I hate the Peasant traveller line so much. Probably to make it more fine you get rid of Disciple but fundamentally the entire line, it's broken as a concept.

Most people here disagree, but we've already had that conversation. Personally, I'd get rid of Page.

Empires

Donate is the closest thing to a sin.

Annex? Tax? Delve? Wedding? Conquest? Lots of weak and boring Events.

Nocturne

Get rid of Fool. Cobbler is meh but whatever, this set is mostly fine.

Dump Bard as well.

Cargo Ship is bad for the game. You either have it in hand Turn 3 and win, or you don't, and lose.

It's that broken? Thread on this, please.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 06:12:14 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2019, 09:15:50 pm »

- Stuff you said that I wholeheartedly agree with: Merchant Ship, Wharf, Alchemy, Counting House, Artifacts
- I think your ideas on these are okay but meh: Harbinger, Bureaucrat, Navigator, Royal Seal, Nomad Camp, Bandit Camp, Urchin
- I prefer Chuckles' ideas about: Pirate Ship, Treasure Map
- Cards mentioned here that I like the official version just fine: Nomad Camp, Fool's Gold, Peasant, Cobbler, Bard, Cargo Ship
- Cards I already play with a modded version of: Rebuild, Mandarin, Cache, Merchant Ship (My modded Merchant ship just adds +buy -same for Cache), Secret Passage (added a reaction that plays itself when another player plays an attack because I miss Secret Chamber's reaction). There are also several cards (including Page and Tournament) which I never play with IRL.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 09:18:20 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2019, 11:06:18 am »

Is this supposed to be a Project or something? Introducing later mechanics into an earlier set is a really bad idea.

I'm pretty sure this isn't a project.  Just a cheaper Royal seal, where you can only use the topdecking once

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2019, 11:17:43 am »
+2

How strange. Annex is pretty weak yes, and Wedding isn't terribly exciting. But Tax, Delve, Conquest are all quite interesting. None of them is super strong, but none is particularly weak either.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2019, 06:05:04 pm »

How strange. Annex is pretty weak yes, and Wedding isn't terribly exciting. But Tax, Delve, Conquest are all quite interesting. None of them is super strong, but none is particularly weak either.

I happen to find them all dull. Tax is a weaker, less interesting Embargo, Delve is yet another way to get Silvers, hooray, and Conquest is a much more limited Triumph.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.