Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Seprix's Card Creation Emporium  (Read 21412 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Re: Seprix's Card Creation Emporium
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2016, 12:04:23 am »
+1

Idea Thing $5
Action
+1 Action
+1 Card

Play an Action card from your hand.

Some Village/Throne Room Variant I thought of recently. All terminals are no longer terminals. It's an interesting enough idea to put down, just in case.

I've thought about reverse Enchantress, where the next card you play gives +$1, but then why not have that action card give +$1 anyways, so there's that. Hmmm.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2016, 12:25:38 am »
+4

Idea Thing $5
Action
+1 Action
+1 Card

Play an Action card from your hand.

Some Village/Throne Room Variant I thought of recently. All terminals are no longer terminals. It's an interesting enough idea to put down, just in case.

I've thought about reverse Enchantress, where the next card you play gives +$1, but then why not have that action card give +$1 anyways, so there's that. Hmmm.

As written this should cost less than $3; it's a more restrictive Village.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2016, 04:43:56 am »

It probably should say: 'You may play action card from your hand twice.'?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2016, 12:35:19 pm »

Some Card Idea $3

+1 Card
+1 Action

If there are 5 or more cards in play, +$1. If there are 10 or more cards in play, +1 Buy. If there are 15 or more cards in play, +$1.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2016, 12:38:00 pm »

Would work great as an action-treasure

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2016, 12:46:52 pm »

Would work great as an action-treasure

Maybe.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2016, 01:55:26 pm »

Is this intended to count all cards in play, or just cards you have in play?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2016, 01:44:16 pm »

Is this intended to count all cards in play, or just cards you have in play?

Cards the player has in play. It's not legally worded, just something I put down in the spur of the moment.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2016, 02:05:35 pm »

Some Card Idea $3

+1 Card
+1 Action

If there are 5 or more cards in play, +$1. If there are 10 or more cards in play, +1 Buy. If there are 15 or more cards in play, +$1.
I like it but I think that the values are a bit too high. 5 seems OK but I'd also test 4. 10 is most likely too high. Not that engines with 10 Action cards in play do not exist but we do after all just talk about an extra buy, or the point at which this cards switches from a Peddler to a Market. Perhaps 8?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2018, 05:40:56 pm »

So I've been thinking about some ideas in my head for some time, and I think I am ready to release these ideas. I haven't tested any of these, and it will be fun to do that at some point. Anyways, I have no idea what to do for the theme, but maybe it'll be Greek or something. Anyways, on to the cards.

Firstly, the most drastic idea, which has been explored in a lot of ways but not like this to my knowledge. It's the idea of replacing the starting base cards with something else, which comes with a bunch of logistical problems, but I think I have found an interesting way to make this work.

So each of the Base Starting cards has two potential replacements. This means Curse, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, and Province. I've decided that these things would have to be public, so readily available to each player. Of course, replacing all of the cards multiple times over is a giant hassle, so I've decided on the idea of single randomizers instead. This way, it's small and you don't have to use a different pile for different base cards, you just ghost it instead, pretending the Copper is that public card. The only potential issue is that people might forget.

So the way this works is that zero to three of the base cards change ideally per game, that would be my initial recommendation. There will be a placement card that is public that will 'replace' the base card, so you would buy for example Copper, but the Copper would be treated like the replacement card. In my mind, this replacement card would still be considered Copper, so there wouldn't be any annoying issues with say, Moneylender if you wanted to use it. I'll probably have the header text read as "Copper [Ossified]" so it's both distinct but also considered a Copper at the end of the day.

Anyways, on to the card ideas. These are raw ideas, but they will be fun to test!

Coppers

Copper [Ossify] Action-Treasure $1
+$1
+1 Action
-----------------
$1

Basically, Coppers become Action cards. You can Throne them now for Actions, or to help with Library in multiple ways, or make Necromancer more interesting, for example. You can even play them as Treasure cards instead, there's that flexibility. that Copper turns into an Action card kind of reminds me of turning into Stone, hence the name, and there's a potential Medusa/Gorgon theme there.

Copper [Unnamed] Action-Treasure $0
+$2
-----------------
$1

Terminal Silver. This one might change, it's not too hot.

Silvers

Silver [Unnamed] Action-Treasure $3
+1 Action
You may discard a card, to draw +1 Card.
-----------------
$2

it's a weak sifter but it provides additional options over simply being a Silver. Maybe you really want to cycle and draw something potentially nice.

Silver [Unnamed] Treasure $3
$2
--------------------
When you trash this, +$1.

Nice for remodeling and trashing.

Golds

Gold [Cursed] Curse-Treasure $5
$3
--------------------
-2 VP

So yeah, it's cheaper but it's also Cursed. It runs into problems with Cursers though so I think this one won't make it. Kind of a filler idea.

Gold [Unnamed] Action-Treasure $6
You may trash this, to gain a card costing up to $5.
--------------------
$3

Duchy gainer in games, Gold gainers become even more enginey, and there's this cute flexibility going on here.

Estates

Estate [Sunken] Victory-Reaction $2
1 VP
-------------
When you discard this other than during Clean-Up, +$1.

Cute with sifters and Baron. Maybe exploitable though. I also don't have a second Estate idea at the moment.

Duchies

Duchy [Royal] Action-Victory $6
You may play an Action card from your hand twice.
-------------
2 VP

Throne Room Duchy. Engines go bananas. I thought about a +buy Duchy but I think this is potentially more intriguing. I'm afraid to put it at $5 but it might be fine.
Duchy [unnamed] Victory $6
3 VP
-------------
If this pile is empty at the end of your turn, the game immediately ends.

It's another end game condition! Might enable some cool rushes or alternate strategies, and it costs $6 so it's harder to do.

Provinces

Province [Unnnamed] Victory $7
5 VP

Just more potential timing to think about, plus remodeling changes, etc. I thought about doing a gambit Province where you can play it to trash it, then draw 5 extra cards on your next turn but that sounds really stupid. It also sounds really fun though. No idea what to do for the second slot.

Curses

Curse [Doomed] Action-Curse $0
Trash this, to gain 2 Coppers.
-------------
-2 VP

More junk but at least it's not -2 VP!

Curse [unnmaed] Action-Curse $0
+1 Card
+1 Action

If there are two Curses in play (including this), go directly into the Buy Phase.
-------------
-1 VP

You can sift with these Curses, but only a little bit! Maybe it can be upped to 3 Curses in play, it just needs actual testing. It's an old idea of mine and I've always liked it.

I have some other cards coming with another sub-theme but I think this is a good start for people to look over.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2018, 01:07:05 am »
+1

Golds

Gold [Cursed] Curse-Treasure $5
$3
--------------------
-2 VP

So yeah, it's cheaper but it's also Cursed. It runs into problems with Cursers though so I think this one won't make it. Kind of a filler idea.
Easily fixable by calling it a victory-treasure instead of using the curse type. Since I first started playing Dominion, I never understood why Curses needed their own type. I always thought they should be considered victory cards which happened to give negative VP.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2018, 01:33:46 am »

In general this is a great idea and there are some cool cards. I don't like the stuff that is strictly better than existing cards, like the Silver sifter or the Estate (which is bonkers with Shepherd) and also wouldn't venture into Copper substitute territory because Heirlooms already did that.

3 VP
-------------

I think DXV mentioned somewhere that during the early stages of design an empty Duchy pile was a game end trigger and that it led to all games being Duchy rushes. This is a bit more expensive but I'd still be careful.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2018, 07:11:16 am »
+1

In general this is a great idea and there are some cool cards. I don't like the stuff that is strictly better than existing cards, like the Silver sifter or the Estate (which is bonkers with Shepherd) and also wouldn't venture into Copper substitute territory because Heirlooms already did that.

3 VP
-------------

I think DXV mentioned somewhere that during the early stages of design an empty Duchy pile was a game end trigger and that it led to all games being Duchy rushes. This is a bit more expensive but I'd still be careful.

The Nocturne Copper subs are actually interesting because they replace the actual Coppers, while the normal Coppers only have the plus effect.

I think stuff that's "strictly better" than other things are fine since it's only slightly and it's public. It's like a new game rule, just for that game. The Estate thing, yeah that might be busted but I'm okay with the slight Silver sifting.

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: JakeTheZipper
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2018, 09:08:43 am »

"Potter - Action;

+
+ Buy
You may put your deck into the discard pile. You may discard a Potion from your hand. If you do, gain card costing up to $."

You know, another interesting place you could go with this would be, after discarding your deck, instead of discarding a potion "You may trash a potion from your discard pile to gain a card costing up to $4."

That would have some interesting implications, I think.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2018, 11:49:36 am »

3 VP
-------------

The Nocturne Copper subs are actually interesting because they replace the actual Coppers, while the normal Coppers only have the plus effect.

I think stuff that's "strictly better" than other things are fine since it's only slightly and it's public. It's like a new game rule, just for that game. The Estate thing, yeah that might be busted but I'm okay with the slight Silver sifting.
Now that I thought more about it I agree and think that especially the Action-Silvers could be quite interesting and change gameplay. As a wacky example, with Action-Silver Bureaucrat could become the card that kickstarts a Conspirator engine.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2018, 04:09:01 pm »
+2

And now are some of the cards that line up with the set.

Bust Treasure - $4
$1
------------------
You may trash a card in play. If you trashed a Bust or Silver, +$1.
------------------
(this card requires the trashing for +$1 Silver)

I like this and I can't wait to test it!

Dark Mage Action -$5
+3 Cards
You may discard a Curse in hand or gain a Curse for +1 Action.

This one is so wonky, it's probably really good or really bad, and I think it's more bad than good? Worth trying for sure. It's like a reverse Stables.

Whimsy Action-Reaction-$2
+1 Card
+1 Action
-----------------
When you put a unique card type into play, you may reveal this card to play instantly.

And there's the sub theme, messing with card types. I have one that's basically HoP but for Card types which will be worse so there will be experimenting with an alternate bonus, probably +$2 or something.

Maybe Busted Alt-VP Victory-$7
2VP per two unique card types in your deck.

The default is 4 uniques, being Victory, Treasure, Curse and Action (realistically, but there could be a board with no Actions) There's Durations, Attacks, Reactions, Night as other common types. That brings this card up to 8 VP, which is just insane. Also absolutely game winning if in a Black Market deck. Yeah, it's just so OP potentially that I don't think it should even be a card?

Guardian Action-Attack $5
+$1
+1 Buy
+$1 per each unique card type in play (including this).
Each other player discards down to 4 cards in hand.

It's a terminal Gold variant, much like Wine Merchant and Sacred Grove. I think it's cute!

Those are the serious ideas so far.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 04:10:19 pm by Seprix »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2018, 09:18:49 pm »

I also created some new cards for alchemy and potter is one of them.
It’s basically a stronger remodel but a duration card similar to haven, cause it also gives the
+1 card +1 action

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2018, 05:54:13 am »

Whimsy Action-Reaction-$2
+1 Card
+1 Action
-----------------
When you put a unique card type into play, you may reveal this card to play instantly.
I don't understand this wording.  Do you mean, when you play a card who has a type that is not in play yet?

That's a great idea but I suggest 1VP per different type in your deck. As it stands it is cheaper than Province and providing more VPs. Even in Action dense decks it is not "costly" to keep or add a Treasure so the card always provides 6VPs with the option of adding / not trashing a Curse for some extra VPs.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2018, 06:31:55 pm »

Easily fixable by calling it a victory-treasure instead of using the curse type. Since I first started playing Dominion, I never understood why Curses needed their own type. I always thought they should be considered victory cards which happened to give negative VP.

I think the reason was that victory cards give bonuses to e.g. Ironmonger, and Donald wanted Curse to be something that's always bad. Curse can still be good with things that care about diversity, but the bonus-from-victory-types interaction is something that particularly goes against the spirit of the card.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 06:33:44 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2018, 01:09:54 pm »
+1

That's a great idea but I suggest 1VP per different type in your deck. As it stands it is cheaper than Province and providing more VPs. Even in Action dense decks it is not "costly" to keep or add a Treasure so the card always provides 6VPs with the option of adding / not trashing a Curse for some extra VPs.
Isn't 2VP per 2 types weaker than 1VP per type?

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2018, 05:23:36 pm »

I misread the card as 2VPs per type. As it stands it is of course fine and will only be better than Provinces if there at least 3 extra types which probably happens in around half or less than half of all games.
I don't like Faigrounds-like "2VP per whatever" as it is not granular enough for my taste; hence my suggestion to make it 1VP per type with variable costs.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2018, 04:25:47 pm »

Gain Meister Action-Reaction $5

+1 Action
+1 Card
+1 Buy
----------------------------
When you would gain a card, you may play this to instead give that card to the player to the left.

It can send over Curses, Coppers, and it can be a Village too. It's a cute versatile card.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2018, 06:30:51 am »
+1

Gain Meister Action-Reaction $5

+1 Action
+1 Card
+1 Buy
----------------------------
When you would gain a card, you may play this to instead give that card to the player to the left.

It can send over Curses, Coppers, and it can be a Village too. It's a cute versatile card.

And it's a directed attack, too.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2018, 02:03:15 pm »

New concept: Trading

Whenever a card tells you, you may trade one thing for another.

Eerie Market Treasure - $5
+1 Buy
$0
----------------
When you play this, you may trade any number of times:
+1 Buy for $2
$2 for +1 Buy

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2018, 03:08:04 pm »

New concept: Trading

Whenever a card tells you, you may trade one thing for another.

Eerie Market Treasure - $5
+1 Buy
$0
----------------
When you play this, you may trade any number of times:
+1 Buy for $2
$2 for +1 Buy

The trading idea is a cool but I don't think that a Travelling Fair that also works in reverse as card is good enough at a price of $4 as it compares unfavourably to Charm and Counterfeit. I'd do it at $4.
Apart from the general flexibility I guess it mainly shines with the obvious cards: Buys into Coins for Market and Woodcutter variants; Coins into Buys for Peddler and stuff like Highway.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 21 queries.