Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Seprix's Card Creation Emporium  (Read 21415 times)

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
Re: Seprix's Card Creation Emporium
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2016, 01:58:26 pm »

Some Event idea I've had:

Expansion- Cost: $0
Once per game: Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $3 more than the card you trashed.

A fun one shot Expand. You could burn it now, or use it later to mill/get provinces.

Wouldn't the correct move normally be to use it to open 5/4 or 5/5, trashing an Estate in the process?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2016, 01:59:55 pm »

Some Event idea I've had:

Expansion- Cost: $0
Once per game: Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $3 more than the card you trashed.

A fun one shot Expand. You could burn it now, or use it later to mill/get provinces.

Wouldn't the correct move normally be to use it to open 5/4 or 5/5, trashing an Estate in the process?

Maybe. It doesn't give a +Buy though. I am considering having this event trash a card in play instead because of this though.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2016, 09:44:42 pm »

This is mechanically identical to gambits from Star Realms. Naturally this idea doesn't work with Dominion as you will virtually always use them during the opening.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2016, 12:12:28 pm »
+1

An idea on how to 'fix' Feast:

Feast $4
Action

Trash this.
--------------------------
When this is trashed, gain a card costing up to $5, and you may gain a card costing up to $2.

This buffs Feast a little in most cases. You can gain Feast with Ironworks, and then if you have a trasher such as Remake or Apprentice, you can go to town and trash Feast instead of playing it. The only nerf Feast gets is with Throne Room variants, but I think it is a worthwhile trade.

I still don't think it's quite strong enough, but it's a start. It's hard to make this stronger without making it a 'must buy' in boards it is in. I'm considering making Feast also let you gain a card costing up to two, so I put that there as an interesting option as well. I think this makes Feast a perfectly fine card now. It helps you pile out, and the effect doesn't help in the beginning of the game.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 12:16:17 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2016, 03:13:11 pm »

First theme: The "Rebalancing" of Potion Cost Cards & Various new uses

This made me think of:

Spinning wheel - Event - $P
+1 Buy
Discard all your debt tokens.

It needs a bottom half to make there be a way of getting into debt.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 06:30:14 pm by spiralstaircase »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2016, 12:34:02 pm »

First theme: The "Rebalancing" of Potion Cost Cards & Various new uses

This made me think of:

Spinning wheel - Event - $P
+1 Buy
Discard all your debt tokens.

It needs a bottom half to make there be a way of getting into debt.

This doesn't work. While you have debt tokens, you cannot buy cards or events. This would have to be a card that gets rid of debt tokens on-play.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2016, 04:03:31 pm »
+1

Or you can just use the golden rule and add "You may buy this card even if you are in debt."

Spinner Wheel Event - $P
+1 Buy
Choose one: Remove all debt, or +4$ and take 3 Debt after your turn ends.
You may buy this card even if you have debt.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2016, 06:48:17 pm »

Or you can just use the golden rule and add "You may buy this card even if you are in debt."

Spinner Wheel Event - $P
+1 Buy
Choose one: Remove all debt, or +4$ and take 3 Debt after your turn ends.
You may buy this card even if you have debt.

This is actually a cool idea. Are you suggesting Seprix take it for his own collection, or "emporium", by posting it here?
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2016, 06:51:31 pm »

Potter seems good enough and makes use of the Chancellor effect which I like. It would be even better if it topdecked the gained card, after you put your deck into your discard pile, of course and might still be reasonably balanced.

I like Acolyte because it helps BM and there's so few cards nowadays that do that well enough. The best new ideas have to be cards that make slog a viable strategy. Those are probably hardest to design. If you can come up with such a card, you will gain even more of my respect.

Queen's Chamber is boring and probably too weak. Try it with +1 Action.

Guardian seems balanced but it does too many things for me, personally. Too many decisions to make. And that coming from me is saying a lot, if you look at some of my cards which are pretty complex.

I don't like Rebel reacting to Reactions with so few Reactions (not to mention good ones!) actually existing in the whole game. For the sake of good design, Rebel should also be a Reaction, but good luck coming up with something decent and original here :P

I like the basic idea of the Event Expansion. I don't like that it's once per game, it seems like a waste of an Event slot to me that way. Why not remove that clause and give it a reasonable debt cost instead?

Your 'fixed' version of Feast looks interesting and fun. Might still not be worth going for on many boards but has more combo potential than old Feast.

We should totally play some games with fan cards on Tabletop Simulator, if you like. I'm willing to help you test your stuff :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 07:10:34 pm by Co0kieL0rd »
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2016, 08:05:19 pm »

I don't pay much mind to my cards. If Donald asked me to make a card for him hypothetically, I would probably currently choose none of these cards. I really like the Potion cost ones I did (Really, I do), but that obviously won't happen, and the other things I did thus far aren't worth doing, I don't think.

I don't have tabletop simulator. I would be interested in playing some fan cards sometime for sure.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2016, 08:19:37 pm »

I don't pay much mind to my cards. If Donald asked me to make a card for him hypothetically, I would probably currently choose none of these cards. I really like the Potion cost ones I did (Really, I do), but that obviously won't happen, and the other things I did thus far aren't worth doing, I don't think.

I don't have tabletop simulator. I would be interested in playing some fan cards sometime for sure.

So do you just not care about feedback on your other cards and have no intention to test them so they remain purely hypothetical? From what you wrote it seems like you don't even plan to put any more thoughts into your intitial ideas so they're basically hit-or-miss. Is that about right?
Check out my fan cards!

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2016, 08:24:36 pm »

I don't really know. I've never tested my cards, I've never really put all that much thought into them. One day I'll probably try and seriously make a fan expansion, but I haven't gotten any seriously good ideas so far. Most of the ideas are basically revamps of Donald's or variations. I think if I was to make a fantastic new card, I'd want to try something Donald has never tried before, which is probably not even possible, but hey. I want the experience to be very unique is what I'm trying to say.

I'm more than happy to play the cards I've made, but it's more of a starting point being thrown out there, little ideas, they weren't meant to be all that serious. Well, except the Feast fix. I actually quite like that. I'd like to buff it more, but then it becomes a must open card, and I don't know yet, I'll have to decide how to proceed with that one. I think Queen's Chamber sucks and is unoriginal anyways, the Guardian is kind of a Pawn rip off, you get the idea. I've had a couple of ideas for Dominion concepts, but nothing really thought out so far.

Like Donald, I want my potential cards to be fun and unique, but also a bit simpler. I don't want some crazy complex thing to be my cards if it can be avoided.

For example, the realm of reactions is a vast and unexplored place. I've had tons of weird ideas there, but that's also potentially confusing. So where do you go from there? Reactions that you can play that aren't on attacks, but you'd have to play them instead of revealing them, so they're not too strong. Sort of like Caravan Guard. But that's been done. You can do variations, but the idea is there already. I don't know, maybe I want the unattainable. Maybe I should be content with what I think of. There are only 4 or 5 Debt cards. Tons of interesting ideas.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 08:28:55 pm by Seprix »

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2016, 08:40:49 pm »

You should only put more thought into and playtest cards of yours you actually like, of course. Developing a card is a slow process that should start with something you want to try that hasn't been there before, balancing comes later. So why even post ideas here you're not even a bit convinced of?
Check out my fan cards!

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2016, 09:20:59 pm »

Placeholders, I guess. See what people think of them. It's kind of the beta stage right now.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2016, 11:16:39 am »

Two new ideas. I am starting to get an idea for an expansion anyways, so I might do it if I have time. Anyways, here are the ideas:

Village Square
Reserve - $3

When you gain this, put this on your Tavern mat.
At the start of your turn, +1 Action. At any time during your turn, you may exchange +1 Action for $2.
-----------------------------------------------------------
At the end of your turn, return this to the supply.

I wanted to make a pure Reserve card, without any Action to it. In a sense, it is very much like an Event, but it also has a reminder due to the physical card, so you know you can do those +Action trades. It is also a one-shot Village, which is kind of cool. It's basically a Diadem variant, but you have to pay for it every time. Combos with Bustling Village!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 05:30:18 pm by Seprix »

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2016, 11:35:04 am »

I don't get Village Square; when you gain it, it's already after the start of your turn so it's just going to be returned to the Supply without ever staying on your mat until the start of your next turn. Also, since Reserve cards normally don't do anything just while they're sitting on your Tavern mat, it needs to specify it does things at the start and end of your turn "while this is on your Tavern mat". Look at Distant lands for reference.
Check out my fan cards!

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2016, 11:46:05 am »

How about this?

Village Square
Reserve - $3

When you gain this, put it on your Tavern mat.
At the start of your turn, you may call this. If you do, +1 Action and at any time this turn, you may exchange +1 Action for $2.
When you discard this from play, return it to the supply.

"+1 Action" in a sentence is not normally bolded, unlike when it appears on a line by itself.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2016, 11:46:37 am »

I don't get Village Square; when you gain it, it's already after the start of your turn so it's just going to be returned to the Supply without ever staying on your mat until the start of your next turn. Also, since Reserve cards normally don't do anything just while they're sitting on your Tavern mat, it needs to specify it does things at the start and end of your turn "while this is on your Tavern mat". Look at Distant lands for reference.

I will rewrite the card, I did not notice that issue.

Village Square
Reserve - $3

When you gain this, set this aside. At the start of your next turn, put this on your Tavern mat.
If this is on your Tavern mat at the start of your turn, +1 Action, and at any time during your turn, you may exchange +1 Action for $2. Return this card to the Supply at the end of that turn.

I put "that" turn, so it only applies to the turn you get the benefit. I wanted it to be so that you wouldn't get the Village effect unless you bought it, but that's a bit complex. You don't get any bonus for gaining it with Ironworks anyways, as it is pure Reserve, and University cannot gain it. So it is likely fine.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2016, 11:48:25 am »

Hmm, Singletee's wording is better, but it makes the card much stronger than before as a result. You can simply call all of them, and have a ton of +Actions and then just cash them in and buy Province later on. I don't know if that is desirable or not, I'd have to... test it.

*gasp*

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2016, 01:53:21 pm »

Hmm, Singletee's wording is better, but it makes the card much stronger than before as a result. You can simply call all of them, and have a ton of +Actions and then just cash them in and buy Province later on. I don't know if that is desirable or not, I'd have to... test it.

*gasp*

That would mean you spend $12 and 4 buys total to gain a Province after 2-4 turns. Without other villages, this is a terrible tactic, I think. I'd even go as far as saying your version that goes off immediately is way too weak. Singletee's approach makes the card viable on its own.
Check out my fan cards!

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2016, 09:42:51 pm »

I guess I could start with Singletee's version then.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2016, 02:06:56 am »

Doesn't seem overpowered to me either. Of course you probably gotta buy some of them when Page is in the Kingdom as you can pull off a megaturn once you got Champion but this single powerful combo doesn't make the card crazy.
One option to nerf it though would be to slow it down via making it a "normal" Reserve that is put on the Tavern mat when it is played and not when it is gained.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2016, 02:51:46 pm »

I'm starting to create a new Dominion Fan expansion. Some of the themes include:

• Choices, "up to" options
  • More Trash for benefit (none listed here yet)
  • A replacement for the Curse pile

I will list some of the cards below. Names, prices, abilities are all subject to change, including not even making the set. Play with them if you like.

Barracks $4
Action - Attack
+1 Card
+2 Actions

If you have already played a Barracks this turn, each other player discards down to 4 cards in their hand.

An attacking village. I think it's cute.

Seer $6
Action

Draw up to three cards. For each card you did not draw in this way, +1 Action.

When you gain this, gain a card costing up to $3.

It's too strong for $5, and not terribly great for $6, so I added the gain bit. I don't know how it's going to handle yet, but a more flexible Village/Draw card seems pretty nice.

Wetlands $4
Action - Victory
Worth 2VP

You may reveal a Wetlands from your hand. If you do, +1 Card, +1 Action, +$1.

An interesting Peddler variant. It's possibly worth too many VP, but again, I'd rather have cards start off too strong than too weak. You also cannot play your last Wetlands, as it does nothing. So I think it's an interesting idea to try out.

Greenhouse $4
Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action
+1 Buy

Discard a card from your hand. If it is a Curse or Victory card, each other player may discard and draw a card.

A sifter variant that gives you buys but slightly punishes you for sifting. Maybe it's a bit counter productive, so maybe it needs to be stronger. Who knows.

Ducat $4
Treasure
Worth $1

The next time you buy a card this turn, gain a card costing $1 more than it.

I've always wanted to make a Develop/Procession type with gaining on a treasure.

Gardener $3
Action
+$1

Trash up to two cards from your hand. For each time you did not trash, +$1.

Offers more flexibility than Steward for money and trashing, but does not draw cards. Overall a bit worse than Steward, but way better than Silver.

Executioner $5
Action - Attack
+$1
+2 Cards

Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand discards an Action card (or reveals a hand without any).

A somewhat cruel attack. I added the +$1 to make it a bit better, but it may be too strong already.

All simple, sleek cards with some interesting interactions. I don't want to make stupid interactions or pointless ones. I think a lot of these cards offer interesting interactions with existing cards or new things not tried that are still simple enough in execution. I want a Reaction card for sure, and I think I have quite enough attacks in this fan expansion. I want more cards too, but it's a good start.

This expansion will feature some Events, one which is ready for testing.

Construct $4
Event
Once per turn: Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $3 more than the trashed card.

Probably too strong, but I'd rather start out too strong than too weak.

Now for the interesting bit: The Curse replacement.
The Curse replacement is currently called Mummy, and there are 12 cards instead of the standard 10 for 2 Player Dominion. Mummies do not give -VP, but they are still Curse cards. All Cursers will hand out Mummies instead when they are played. All interactions with Curses also work for Mummies, since Curse is a type.

The reason I did this was because I've seen so many bad ideas for Curse cards, and I think this is the most sensible solution.

The Mummy cards all have Egyptianish names for now, which may or may not change. Maybe that will be the name of my Expansion: Egypt or Pyramid something of the kind. I don't know yet.
Mummy $1
Action - Curse
+1 Card
+1 Action

If you have played at least 3 Mummies this turn, end your Action Phase immediately.

It's an interesting option instead of Curse. Sure, your Curses no longer suck as much, but they're still junk. And you have decisions to make on whether to play Mummies or not. There are a few more of them because they're not quite as bad as Curses. If there's Villa on the board, you can circumvent this a bit, but not too much.

Now for the cards that interact with Mummies:

Pharoh $5
Action - Attack
+2 Cards

Each other player gains a Curse.

Set-up: Replace the Curse pile with the Mummy pile.

A bit redundant as a Curser, as it is a Witch variant. What separates this card from Witch if they are both in the Supply? Because of this, I am willing to consider either changes to the Mummies and their interactions with Cursing, or more likely just a change with Pharoh instead.

Archeologist $5
Action

You may trash a card from your hand. If you do, +$4. Gain a Curse.

A Baron/Death Card variant that fuels itself with Mummies. A bit on the weaker side, but giving it +1 Action might be too strong. This one will probably change or be destroyed. Who knows.

And that's it so far. I want at least one more card to interact with Mummies, but there could be two.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2016, 03:08:15 pm »
+1

Barracks $4
Action - Attack
+1 Card
+2 Actions

If you have already played a Barracks this turn, each other player discards down to 4 cards in their hand.

An attacking village. I think it's cute.

I think I like leper village better (not sure who's expansion that is.)

Leper Village - $3
Action-Attack

+2 Actions
+1 Buy
+$1
Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand discards a card.
--
In games using this, at the end of each of your turns except the firs, +1 Card.

That said, there is nothing wrong with barracks, of course. I just think the effect of always having to discard (because, well, it's a village: people are going to have lots of them) a card is a bit meh. Leper village is (imo) cooler because it adds a card (so you start with 6).

Seer $6
Action

Draw up to three cards. For each card you did not draw in this way, +1 Action.

When you gain this, gain a card costing up to $3.

It's too strong for $5, and not terribly great for $6, so I added the gain bit. I don't know how it's going to handle yet, but a more flexible Village/Draw card seems pretty nice.

I like it. Lab or village? You decide! The on gain is pretty ok too.

Wetlands $4
Action - Victory
Worth 2VP

You may reveal a Wetlands from your hand. If you do, +1 Card, +1 Action, +$1.

An interesting Peddler variant. It's possibly worth too many VP, but again, I'd rather have cards start off too strong than too weak. You also cannot play your last Wetlands, as it does nothing. So I think it's an interesting idea to try out.

Generally speaking, I dislike cards where you have to basically empty the pile and it will always give more benefits (think minion.) That said, this is a fun way of doing that concept, in as much as I can like the concept. I think €4 is actually a reasonable price, because, well, if you draw it dead, it's dead.

Greenhouse $4
Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action
+1 Buy

Discard a card from your hand. If it is a Curse or Victory card, each other player may discard and draw a card.

A sifter variant that gives you buys but slightly punishes you for sifting. Maybe it's a bit counter productive, so maybe it needs to be stronger. Who knows.

Interesting card. I am just wondering: when would I buy it? I can only imagine me buying it when there is no other source for +Buy, which is a pretty limited resource, no? On the other hand, discarding and drawing a card, I guess, is not that huge, or is it? Not sure; interesting and difficult to assess power level, imo.

Ducat $4
Treasure
Worth $1

The next time you buy a card this turn, gain a card costing $1 more than it.

I've always wanted to make a Develop/Procession type with gaining on a treasure.

I wonder if you could even reduce it's worth to $0. Because, well, it's a pretty powerful card, right. Gaining a $4 and a $5 (or a $5 and a $6 is pretty insane.)

Gardener $3
Action
+$1

Trash up to two cards from your hand. For each time you did not trash, +$1.

Offers more flexibility than Steward for money and trashing, but does not draw cards. Overall a bit worse than Steward, but way better than Silver.

This is a bit too good, I think. It's terminal gold for $3 (while terminal gold is sometimes competitive at $5.) At least it should be 3, I think.

Executioner $5
Action - Attack
+$1
+2 Cards

Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand discards an Action card (or reveals a hand without any).

A somewhat cruel attack. I added the +$1 to make it a bit better, but it may be too strong already.

Yeah, this is pretty strong. Not sure you want something that strong.
Construct $4
Event
Once per turn: Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $3 more than the trashed card.

Probably too strong, but I'd rather start out too strong than too weak.

Well, expand costs $7. Not sure why this is 'only' $4 then.

Mummy $1
Action - Curse
+1 Card
+1 Action

If you have played at least 3 Mummies this turn, end your Action Phase immediately.

It's an interesting option instead of Curse. Sure, your Curses no longer suck as much, but they're still junk. And you have decisions to make on whether to play Mummies or not. There are a few more of them because they're not quite as bad as Curses. If there's Villa on the board, you can circumvent this a bit, but not too much.

Fair idea. I had a similar idea at one point. It was a curse that gave -2 VP, but it wasn't dead in your hand because it was a cantrip. However, if you didn't play it, you could reveal it during clean up and return it to it's pile. So it had a lot of choices involved.

Now for the cards that interact with Mummies:

Pharoh $5
Action - Attack
+2 Cards

Each other player gains a Curse.

A bit redundant as a Curser, as it is a Witch variant. What separates this card from Witch if they are both in the Supply? Because of this, I am willing to consider either changes to the Mummies and their interactions with Cursing, or more likely just a change with Pharoh instead.

Archeologist $5
Action

You may trash a card from your hand. If you do, +$4. Gain a Curse.

A Baron/Death Card variant that fuels itself with Mummies. A bit on the weaker side, but giving it +1 Action might be too strong. This one will probably change or be destroyed. Who knows.

I like archeologist more; has more imagination behind it. I do think that's a pretty strong opener, though. Not sure.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2016, 03:10:42 pm »
+1

Barracks is not exciting and not that strong with its Urchin attack but OK.
Seer is one of the better flexible engine cards. Most of the times it will just be a Lab though.
Wetlands is the most interesting.
Greenhouse seems a bit boring.
Ducat seems pretty strong if it means "up to 1 more". In the case of precisely 1 more it is probably OK although it still allows you to get 5s when you buy 4s.
Gardener is too much like Steward.
Executioner features an interesting attack. Hard to tell how good it is.
Construct seems to be too strong.
I don't get Pharaoh. It hands out Mummies which are weaker than Curses so the card is strictly worse than Witch.
Archeologist seems mildly overpowered. Sure, the trash-and-gain part is overall bad but I don't think that it warrants an increase from +3$ to +4$ (a pure +3$ terminal Action is probably a 5$.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.