Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominon: Frontier  (Read 3861 times)

joekinguyr

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Dominon: Frontier
« on: July 24, 2015, 11:33:14 am »
+1

Settlers
+1 card
+2 actions

Gain a Settlers from the supply
5$ action
Setllement
+1 card
+1 action

gain a card costing 3 or less from the supply
3$ action
Miners
Gain a Treasure card costing 5 or less from the supply
4$ Action
Plantation
Worth 1 per Plantation you have
3$ Victory
Farm 
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Action
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 12:10:22 am by joekinguyr »

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
Re: Dominon: Frontier
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 07:56:17 pm »

Settlement is better than Settler, and costs $2 less?

Settler is basically completely useless.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1207
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 09:14:31 pm »
+1

Welcome to the forums, joekinguyr!

As for your cards:

The reason Settler is weak is that a card whose only ability is "+1 Card, +1 Action" normally does nothing for your deck, barring edge cases like Throne Room, Conspirator, Ironmonger, etc. It simply replaces itself, and it can be drawn dead. Normally most players probably wouldn't even pay $1 for such a card. They probably wouldn't even want such card for free.

In addition, Settler costs $5. If you have $5 to spend, you can get a powerful card like Witch or Library--Settler can't compete with that. So it will rarely get bought.

Settlement is OK--but it's pretty similar to Ironworks. However, consider that you normally won't want too many Workshops in your deck. Cards with +1 Card, +1 Action (or 'cantrips', in the terminology of this forum) are usually cards that you want in multiples (like Village, Market, Laboratory, etc). So a cantrip workshop is somewhat self-defeating, especially when its gaining ability is weaker than a regular Workshop's.

Miners is Ok, but consider that there aren't many Kingdom Treasure cards. In games without a Kingdom Treasure, this is simply "gain a Silver." That is strictly worse than the Dark Ages Card "Squire," which costs $2.

For some help designing cards, you might try the "Fan Card Creation Guide" stickied at the top of the Variant card forum.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 11:18:37 pm »
+2

Miners is Ok, but consider that there aren't many Kingdom Treasure cards. In games without a Kingdom Treasure, this is simply "gain a Silver." That is strictly worse than the Dark Ages Card "Squire," which costs $2.

(I can't help myself.) Edge case: you are going to play Storyteller after, and the + from Squire would cause you to draw 1 more card than Miners would have. This extra card causes you to reshuffle when you really don't want to.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

joekinguyr

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 01:28:27 pm »

I'l make settler +2 actions

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 01:55:58 pm »

This could be an interesting card. It is very similar to Port though. I think the biggest problem you'll have is that the Settlers will empty very quickly. I do think it will be stronger than Port in general, so instead of might be correct here.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 04:09:53 pm »

This could be an interesting card. It is very similar to Port though. I think the biggest problem you'll have is that the Settlers will empty very quickly. I do think it will be stronger than Port in general, so instead of might be correct here.

I'm not so sure. I think a price of $5 favours players who can open with it too much. After your secon shuffle you have 4 of them, your opponent maybe 1, or 2 if he really wants them and is not too unlucky. That's four left in the supply, which you can technically all gain before he does. At the very least, opening with this (unlike your opponent) decides the Village split 6/4 for you, quite possibly 8/2 (or worse). Not very fun, i think.

Obviously the luck aspect persists with $4, but at least you can more easily spend a buy inbetween if you see your gains can't keep up.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 01:07:28 am »
+1

I'm not so sure. I think a price of $5 favours players who can open with it too much. After your secon shuffle you have 4 of them, your opponent maybe 1, or 2 if he really wants them and is not too unlucky. That's four left in the supply, which you can technically all gain before he does. At the very least, opening with this (unlike your opponent) decides the Village split 6/4 for you, quite possibly 8/2 (or worse). Not very fun, i think.

Obviously the luck aspect persists with $4, but at least you can more easily spend a buy inbetween if you see your gains can't keep up.

But if you choose to open with this, you'll have a slow opening. It will be a while before it helps more than Silver would have, not to mention the other $5s you passed up.

horatio83

• Baron
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 12:51:33 pm »

Hasn't Donald X has decided against using a card like Plantation? The problem is that quadratic scoring implies that the differences rise linearly, i.e. the first card provides a net VP benefit of 1, the second of 3, the third of 5 and so on.
Not sure whether the dominant strategy would be to rush for them immediately but I guess it happens fairly soon in a lot of decks so the crucial decision is only when to start the rush for it (then your next few turns are pre-decided).

This could be interesting but it doesn't sound like it to me.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5159
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 01:01:58 pm »

Farm 
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Action

This is just a Market Square without the reaction...
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 11:45:29 am »

Hasn't Donald X has decided against using a card like Plantation? The problem is that quadratic scoring implies that the differences rise linearly, i.e. the first card provides a net VP benefit of 1, the second of 3, the third of 5 and so on.
Not sure whether the dominant strategy would be to rush for them immediately but I guess it happens fairly soon in a lot of decks so the crucial decision is only when to start the rush for it (then your next few turns are pre-decided).

Correct, Donald tried this, and that card became Duke.

horatio83

• Baron
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 04:25:41 am »

Correct, Donald tried this, and that card became Duke.
I think the advantage of Duke is that the differences rise linearily but slower and not as explosively than with this hypothetical card.

Duchies Dukes -  VPs diff.
        3        0 -      9   3       
        3        1 -    12   3
        4        1 -    16   4
        4        2 -    20   4
        5        2  -   25   5
        5        3 -    30   5
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.