Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Remodel in a Minion/Loan game  (Read 1696 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
Remodel in a Minion/Loan game
« on: January 05, 2012, 11:55:14 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/05/game-20120105-204451-f6024926.html

I'll edit in the CouncilRoom Log once it's up. EDIT: Here it is

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120105-204451-f6024926.html

King's Court, Governor, Minion, and Loan are all in the kingdom. Very clearly going to become insane.

I opt for Loan/Silver, Wobbles opens Loan/Remodel. Wasn't quite sure what to make of that. I thought that would slow down the rate of Minion gaining too much to be worth it.

I get an early Minion lead, buy a second loan, then embargo Loan. First blunder was probably buying Minion instead of KC with $8. My only other action was Minion, so I didn't think it was worth it. But it was going to be worth it later, so...

Anyways, Wobbles Remodels Estates into more Remodels, picking up some Minions and King's Courts. I think the turning point starts at turn 14. He KC-Remodel two turns in a row, gaining 2 Governors, a Remodel, a Hoard, and an Embargo. From turn 16, it all goes downhill. He gets a massive turn, Embargoes Governor twice, embargoes Province twice, gains 3 Embargos and a Governor by Remodeling, then Embargoes Remodel for good measure. In a couple of turns, Provinces are embargoed 7 times, any card I want to buy is embargoed at least twice, and I have no remodels as work arounds. Governor quickly gains Provinces, and Remodels end the game.

I don't really know what I could have done better, aside seeing Remodel as a source of +buy. Any tips?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 02:19:12 pm by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
Re: Remodel in a Minion/Loan game
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 01:31:06 am »

It clearly isn't a "Minion/Loan" game when KC+Governor is in the supply?

Minion/Loan just wants to get the deck thin, Minion-chain for 5 Provinces over 5 turns, and then tail off. With the kingdom as it stands, with KC + Governor + the troublemaker that is Embargo, the mega-turn approach appears to work much better. It not only can race you to 4 Provinces, and has the flexibility of being able to acquire more than one green card per round, it can megaturn and win even if you already have 5 Provinces.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 09:28:29 am »

Navigator/loan seems like a good opener for 4/3. You can then work through the difficult interactions of governor/minion and get treble trouble using king's court. I'm guessing you want to use the governor as the power card and the minion to discard/draw but I could be wrong there.

As a side issue you got bad early draws but bought too much silver. One of them should have been an embargo. Jesters can also be strong in this sort of set but I don't see a clearly purchasing path where you'd get one.

Empathy

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 10:09:12 am »

KC-embargo-remodel type cards  *.*

I'd go navigator/silver, then get Governor directly, flooding the minion or loan player's deck with silver, which cripples these strategies a lot and helps me race the KC/governor piles.

Then do the same thing, Governor/KC/remodel/embargo if you are ahead.

Keep getting gold or remodeling estates into remodel and silvers into governors. Only go heavy on the copper=>embargo if the other player tries to green with your silvers. Once there are a few embargo tokens out there, you can use the +draw option of gov and set up your mega turn.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.