Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Victory cards as Silvers  (Read 2143 times)

Spellbound

• Steward
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
Victory cards as Silvers
« on: July 24, 2015, 03:55:22 am »

[Some Appropriate Name]
$6
+2 Cards
+1 Buy
In this turn, you can play Victory cards from your hand as Silver.
Trash a Victory card or a Curse from your hand or trash this card.

The wording can be better but I have no idea about that.
It is always kind of a paradox against itself. If your deck is built around it, you will have a really good time buying stuffs then ended up trashing this card after Estates run out and have an absolutely horrible deck.

BadAssMutha

• Bishop
  • Respect: +119
    • View Profile
Re: Victory cards as Silvers
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 04:45:48 am »
+1

Interesting idea. It might be good in slogs or in the late game. I don't see it being all that useful in a typical Province game, since you won't have enough Victory cards to make it worthwhile. Unless you can line up this card with at least two Victory cards, you're probably just better off with a Gold. In games with no way to increase handsize, I suspect this would be very expensive and weak. Maybe making it +3 cards, losing the +buy, and adding Gain an Estate would make this more self-sustainable.

As for the name, I'll suggest "Strip Mine". Your lands get you lots of cash, but the land gets trashed. Once you run out of workable land, the mine shuts down.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 05:51:52 am »

The card should be worded like this to be in accordance with original cards:

+2 Cards
+1 Buy
You may trash a Victory card or a Curse from your hand. If you don't, trash this.
-----------
While this in play, you may play Victory cards as if they were Silvers. [They are Silvers until they leave play./They are still considered Victory cards while in play.]

The part in brackets can be one of the two phrases, depending on what exactly you want the card to say.

This seems very weak and if you want to playtest it, I suggest starting with a cost of $4 and adjusting if needed. However, the trashing clause seems pointless and makes the card even worse so it could probably cost $2 if you want to keep it like this.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 05:55:55 am by Co0kieL0rd »
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 05:15:28 pm »
+3

I think a better wording would simply be "discard any number of victory cards. +$2 for each card discarded." Of course there's a couple different ways in which this is different, but it avoids a the rules complexity with playing  a card as another card.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 08:55:46 pm »

You could make them become treasures worth $2, which would give some interesting actions with Mint, Mine, and the like. But I'm not sure how an Action - Treasure card would work (Great Hall, Nobles, Island, Inheritance).

Spellbound

• Steward
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 01:35:35 am »

You could make them become treasures worth $2, which would give some interesting actions with Mint, Mine, and the like. But I'm not sure how an Action - Treasure card would work (Great Hall, Nobles, Island, Inheritance).

Like this?
Until the end of this turn, Victory cards are also Treasure cards worth $2, you can choose to play them as Actions if they are.

Using Thief to steal Victory cards would be rage inducing. So much possibilities.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 01:56:52 pm »
+1

You see, i know it's fun to think about ways to make VP cards more interesting, and now that Inheritance exist, ideas that make them behave like other cards feel more acceptable than ever before. Still, your card creates the problem of having Treasure/Action cards, a thing which even Adventures didn't introduce (or did, but without combining the types). The main problem i have with this is not the confusion, but for how little an effect you introduce it. For most cases, you could have the same effect by having your card say:

"At the start of your buy phase, discard any number of Victory cards. + per card discarded."

And even though it means you can't use it on VP cards drawn after your last play of [Some Appropriate Name], i'd argue that's often not even very different from:

"Discard any number of Victory cards. + per card discarded."

Which in turn makes it, well, a more narrow Vault.

Edit: Sorry, i somehow missed that GendoIkari wrote the same thing shorter. Well, take this as me chiming in, then.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 12:28:34 pm by Asper »

Ghacob

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gender
  • J. They/them
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 11:21:58 pm »

How about:
Fan O'War
[Cost]
[Scout effect]
Discard any number of Victory cards. + per card discarded.
Gender happened.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.