Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Co0kieL0rd's other cards  (Read 32713 times)

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
Re: Co0kieL0rd's other cards
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2016, 08:28:21 am »
+1

I have printes Secret Society. What I wonder is: why does it only cost $3, causing you to be able to buy 2 of them with opening buys and direct access to $5 cards?

$4 seems more reasonable, no?

Uh, because it's so unreliable, I guess. I thought $3 was appropriate back then. It's probably just as good at $4 and not being normally able to open with two of them is good reason to increase the cost to $4, probably. Anyway, glad you seem to like the card :)
It is basically a reverse Bands of Misfits. In the case of Bands of Misfits you have a hyperflexible 2/3/4 that costs 5 whereas with Secret Society you have an inflexible 5 that costs 3.
As you can choose among 2 and as the Secret Society deck is small the risk of hitting a bad 5 is low. Furthermore, even a bad 5$ is usually far better than a 3 so I feel very safe in claiming that Secret Society has to cost 4.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2016, 02:05:16 pm »

So did you already play with the card? If so, how did you and the other players like it? :)
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2016, 02:21:16 pm »

So did you already play with the card? If so, how did you and the other players like it? :)
It's probably one of my favorite fan cards, I liked it so much that I made another card with the secret society deck! (Actually it was because the black market deck was too random, but I do love secret society.)
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2016, 09:31:56 pm »

Nope. I like the idea but it doesn't super-excite me and I have a hunch that with the current parameters, 10 cards in the deck and two to choose from, Secret Society would even be very strong at 4$.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2016, 09:42:34 pm »

Nope. I like the idea but it doesn't super-excite me and I have a hunch that with the current parameters, 10 cards in the deck and two to choose from, Secret Society would even be very strong at 4$.
I really doubt it. Unreliability is a big factor, and when you don't know which two $5 cost cards you'll be able to choose from, it could likely be something that's not at all what you need at that moment.
That said, I'd rather put 20 cards in the Secret Society deck just for fun.

I haven't played with it yet, but I recently printed it out and will be playing with it very soon.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2016, 11:08:52 pm »

4 to 5 is a far huger step than from 3 to 4 and there aren't really that many totally bad 5s. Sure, if you hit Counting House while there are no Coppers in your discard or a Curser while curses are already out it sucks.
But you still got another card and the likelihood of hitting two bads 5s is fairly small.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2016, 11:12:14 pm »
+1

4 to 5 is a far huger step than from 3 to 4 and there aren't really that many totally bad 5s. Sure, if you hit Counting House while there are no Coppers in your discard or a Curser while curses are already out it sucks.
But you still got another card and the likelihood of hitting two bads 5s is fairly small.

a good card and a card that gives what you need at that particular moment are often two different things.

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2016, 03:13:54 pm »

It's probably one of my favorite fan cards, I liked it so much that I made another card with the secret society deck! (Actually it was because the black market deck was too random, but I do love secret society.)

Can you post this other card you made? 

I also love Secret Society and have played with it.  I'm quite positive it should not cost 3.  I played it at cost 4, and it was sometimes a little too powerful. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 03:15:06 pm by Nflickner »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2016, 03:55:20 pm »

It's part of a um, thing, um, expect news soon.

EDIT: Wait, different thing, I'll talk to AdrianHealey and confirm, um, something.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2016, 03:59:12 pm »

Nobody needs yo know all the super secret stuff we are doing! ;)

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2016, 08:11:23 am »

I also love Secret Society and have played with it.  I'm quite positive it should not cost 3.  I played it at cost 4, and it was sometimes a little too powerful.
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16043.msg626051#msg626051

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2016, 01:33:41 pm »
+1

I played a game with $4 secret society. Wow, what kind of a game warping card is that? :D Admittedly, there were mainly power $5's in the secret society deck, but man, that card is strong. Village + secret society was just dominating.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2016, 08:17:57 pm »
+1

I played a game with $4 secret society. Wow, what kind of a game warping card is that? :D Admittedly, there were mainly power $5's in the secret society deck, but man, that card is strong. Village + secret society was just dominating.

Asper and I recently played a game with $4 Secret Society as well and made the same experience even though only half of the deck was actually good cards. It's probably usually a good strategy to buy some of them even without villages. I don't mind that, though, because the card is so swingy and a lot of fun at the same time.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2016, 12:36:20 am »

Looks like some actual playing confirmed my hunch that this is even strong at 4.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2016, 07:11:28 am »
+1

Looks like some actual playing confirmed my hunch that this is even strong at 4.
Yes this is strong at 4 (Speaking from personal experice), but it's also not too OP. Usually only 1/2 the cards in the deck are good, and there's always a chance you'll flip what you don't want. SS is decievingly stong because of the swinginess.

volfied

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: volfied
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2018, 08:57:12 am »

Sentinel appears to have disappeared from Imgur. Was this a deliberate removal? Seemed like a popular card.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2018, 05:59:39 pm »

Sentinel appears to have disappeared from Imgur. Was this a deliberate removal? Seemed like a popular card.

That was intentional. When Sentry was published, I realized that it fulfilled basically the same role as Sentinel but in a much more elegant way. I wasn't happy with my card anymore, and see no reason for it to exist parallel to Sentry, so I removed it. I can re-upload the card if you're interested though.
Check out my fan cards!

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2018, 07:25:21 pm »

That was intentional. When Sentry was published, I realized that it fulfilled basically the same role as Sentinel but in a much more elegant way. I wasn't happy with my card anymore, and see no reason for it to exist parallel to Sentry, so I removed it. I can re-upload the card if you're interested though.
I almost agree with you. I liked Sentinel, but haven't used it since I got Sentry partly because they're similar and fill almost the same role and partly because I've printed a lot of fan cards so Sentinel don't come up much in my randomizer (it is still in my custom randomizer). OTOH, they're probably different enough to at least keep Sentinel as part of your post here. Sentinel is terminal, but it (indirectly) lets you trash cards from your hand so it's stronger as a trasher.

volfied

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: volfied
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2018, 08:05:41 am »

Ahh, that makes sense. Thank you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.