Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Co0kieL0rd's other cards  (Read 32711 times)

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +104
    • View Profile
Re: Co0kieL0rd's other cards
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2016, 10:37:27 pm »
+4

On an aesthetic note, shouldn't Collapsed Tower be half-blue/half-brown?

I could neither find nor make a good blue-brown template, unfortunately.

Here ya go!:

I have a template-making-template set up for quickly putting together any double-type card. If you ever need anything exotic like this, chances are I can quickly get it to you.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2016, 10:50:56 pm »

Oh wow, that's awesome! :D Could you send me this as an xcf file so I can use it in GIMP?
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2016, 11:02:38 pm »

Oh wow, that's awesome! :D Could you send me this as an xcf file so I can use it in GIMP?
I made it in PSP7, which I've had for ages. I can't save it to that format from it. Is there another format that would useful?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2016, 06:37:32 am »

I made it in PSP7, which I've had for ages. I can't save it to that format from it. Is there another format that would useful?

I think Gimp cam import PS files. At least it always worked for me.

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2016, 07:48:49 am »

Here it is as a .psd

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2016, 08:45:25 am »
+1

Thank you very much! Here is the new card image:

Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2016, 06:01:45 am »
+1

Here's a small update. In games using fan cards that include Looters I like to shuffle my own Ruins cards into the total set of existing Ruins before adding a portion of them to the supply. I just recently made some high-res images for them and here they are:

I've used them a lot and they work nicely. Obviously, most of the time they get trashed anyway but sometimes players can use their effect for a small advantage. Like official Ruins, mine aren't totally equal in power. Starveling's + is particularly useful for spiking a hand when needed. Collapsed Tower may just be the best thing in a game with cursers and looters and without trashers. And you can always get rid of Smoldering somehow.
I like them as they are moderately stronger than normal Ruins without being too strong for junk cards.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2016, 04:29:40 pm »
+2

Here's a pretty ridiculous card I made a while ago. It's meant for people who like swinginess and chaos in Dominion from time to time. It's similar to Black Market but actually fairer because all players have the same probability of revealing any of the 10 cards in the Secret Society deck throughout the whole game. Still it's not a simple card. On the contrary, I think it's one of the hardest cards imaginable to use correctly and it requires a lot of strategic thinking. I hope some of you enjoy it.

Bonus points to the first one to recognizes which show the image is taken from ;)

Check out my fan cards!

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2016, 04:45:59 pm »

Gravity Falls?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 10:53:07 am by ThetaSigma12 »
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2016, 05:56:40 pm »

Yes, you get 100 points! Please put the answer in spoiler tags so other people can still guess ;)
Check out my fan cards!

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2016, 06:52:04 am »
+5

Newly inspired with Empires, I came up with a Reserve card that gives VP and a Landmark.

Guest of Honor lets you discard junk for VP. To avoid this being too crazy it only works at the beginning of your turn so you usually can't discard more than four cards. This should work well in slogs and combo effectively with cards that increase your handsize at the start of your turn, such as Wharf, Hireling and Expedition. $4 is an arbitrary price point and if it's too good in combination with the above mentioned cards, I might limit the bumber of cards to 4.

Volcano, unlike other Landmarks, doesn't give or take away VP but it might very well destroy some of your Victory cards if you're not careful. I imagine this should warp the endgame in favor of the players who are behind since the leading player on some turns can't end the game without losing too many points. This Landmark makes deck-drawing engines with conventional Victory cards less attractive and favors ways to gain VP tokens.
Check out my fan cards!

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2016, 11:50:57 am »
+4

Am i missing something? Guest of Honor gives me 5VP if i discard my hand, right? That said, in games without +Buy, the most i can get out of ANY hand are 6VP (by buying a Province), which makes this card compare too favourably to... well, to any way of making the game proceed at all. I know, Empires more or less ignores the rule that VP-token cards should push the game towards its end with designs like "Chariot Race", but i'd still argue your game should have game progression built in. For example, you could do a "Reserve-Ritual" where you trash a card to get VP equal to its cost, although that obviously wouldn't be incredibly creative.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 11:52:02 am by Asper »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2016, 11:58:42 am »

Am i missing something? Guest of Honor gives me 5VP if i discard my hand, right? That said, in games without +Buy, the most i can get out of ANY hand are 6VP (by buying a Province), which makes this card compare too favourably to... well, to any way of making the game proceed at all. I know, Empires more or less ignores the rule that VP-token cards should push the game towards its end with designs like "Chariot Race", but i'd still argue your game should have game progression built in. For example, you could do a "Reserve-Ritual" where you trash a card to get VP equal to its cost, although that obviously wouldn't be incredibly creative.

I was thinking the same. If you buy enough of these to just get 1 in each hand, then you simply discard 4 cards every turn for 4VP, and play one of these. And unlike a Bishop golden deck or something, you can do this very quickly, like starting on turn 5 or so.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2016, 12:06:17 pm »

Chariot Race, at the very least, gives you $ like Monument does. So although it's not directly pushing the game toward ending, it's indirectly doing so. And any Chariot Race golden deck is eventually going to be foiled by an opponent who builds a deck out of >$3 cards (which they can do in almost any game where your Chariot Race golden deck is possible). Is there any other card in Empires that "ignores" the rule?

Anyway, I agree 100% with your criticism of Guest of Honor.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2016, 12:40:12 pm »

I agree with LFN that Empires handled the VP token really well unlike Guests of Honor which can easily become problematic.

I really like Volcano, though!
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2016, 01:05:36 pm »

What if Guest of Honor handed out VP on some other effect:

When you gain a card costing 3 or more, you may call this for +3VP
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Destry

• Navigator
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2016, 02:38:42 pm »

Or how about instead of calling from Tavern Mat, it trashes itself. Hmm, then it functionally turns into a Distant Lands variant.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2016, 07:59:11 pm »
+2

Oh man, you guys are totally right about Guest of Honor. What was I thinking? First of all, I assumed you could usually discard up to 4 cards which is probably already too good for $4. But it's actually up to 5 cards which is even more insane. What if I limited it to 3 cards, though? It's still pretty slow and gives no bonus on your turn, maybe even harms it.

But forget that, I think Volcano is way more interesting anyway. Let's rather talk about that ;)
Check out my fan cards!

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2016, 08:13:10 pm »

I like volcano and your amendment to guest of honor.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2016, 09:26:39 pm »

Chariot Race, at the very least, gives you $ like Monument does. So although it's not directly pushing the game toward ending, it's indirectly doing so. And any Chariot Race golden deck is eventually going to be foiled by an opponent who builds a deck out of >$3 cards (which they can do in almost any game where your Chariot Race golden deck is possible). Is there any other card in Empires that "ignores" the rule?

Anyway, I agree 100% with your criticism of Guest of Honor.

Huh, interesting, i never thought about that aspect of Chariot race. I was mostly concerned about golden decks because we recently played one of the recommended kingdoms, where you could pick up multiple Peddlers with Talisman, after making them cheap enough through Charit Race. Obviously, Peddler is an edge case where you can have a really expensive almost-golden deck that's fast and sturdy to set up. But you are right, thinking about it, this won't usually be the case.

I was writing "designs like" because i'm not familiar with all Empires cards. But looking through it, i see that only Haunting Party Wild Hunt and Plunder aren't tied to gaining or trashing, but like Monument both are a lot weaker if you only ever make use of the VP clause. Also i looked through the Landmarks and Events, and you are right - all of these either imply gaining, trashing or are limited in how many tokens they give. So yes, it was probably just that one game with Peddler that made me think this. Clever choice for a recommended kingdom.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2016, 09:35:50 pm »

I'm curious as to whether Volcano will make a game less likely to end on Provinces. In a game where i draw many cards to be able and buy a Province, i am rather likely to draw another one. So maybe i empty the Duchy pile instead while nobody dares to end the game with precious VP in hand? Just wondering, one would need to set up a game like this (without cards that discard or sift) to know.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2016, 09:57:38 pm »
+1

Wild Hunt is tied to gaining Estates!

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2016, 11:32:31 pm »

With Volcano, I think you still end up playing the engine if it is the better strategy. If you pursue a weaker strategy because of Volcano, the engine just keeps buying points instead of buying the last Province to end the game. Unless the alternate option competes closely in strength, the engine will just keep buying up points until they have 50%, and then the game has to grind to a finish with either their opponent ending the game on a loss, or the VP bloated Engine deck playing BM until it can afford the last Province without trashing too many VPs. If both players go for the engine because it has the highest win %, then they could end up stuck in a situation where neither can end the game on a win, and both players have to switch to BM and hope they luck into an $8 hand without any VP in it first.

I think figuring out how to play around it could be interesting on a lot of boards, but if this stall out scenario is common, it might make those games painful.

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2016, 02:01:00 am »

With Volcano, I think you still end up playing the engine if it is the better strategy. If you pursue a weaker strategy because of Volcano, the engine just keeps buying points instead of buying the last Province to end the game. Unless the alternate option competes closely in strength, the engine will just keep buying up points until they have 50%, and then the game has to grind to a finish with either their opponent ending the game on a loss, or the VP bloated Engine deck playing BM until it can afford the last Province without trashing too many VPs. If both players go for the engine because it has the highest win %, then they could end up stuck in a situation where neither can end the game on a win, and both players have to switch to BM and hope they luck into an $8 hand without any VP in it first.

I think figuring out how to play around it could be interesting on a lot of boards, but if this stall out scenario is common, it might make those games painful.

I completely agree with everything here.  These are my concerns as well. 

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2016, 08:28:07 am »

I completely agree with everything here.  These are my concerns as well.

I've had the the same thoughts but I'm the more eager to test it and - hopefully - prove them wrong. Volcano essentially expands on an already large pool of cards and Landmarks that provide alternative ways of obtaining VP and would probably have been awful in the early years of Dominion. With the options we have nowadays, I hope this more often leads to interesting and difficult decisions than pure stalling and luck-based games.
Check out my fan cards!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.