Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Are 'Reaction' cards considered Action cards?  (Read 4506 times)

TheEmerged

• Swindler
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
Are 'Reaction' cards considered Action cards?
« on: July 23, 2015, 10:32:15 am »

Hello and thank you for your time.  I'm working on writing up an article about the card Inheritance - even if I don't submit it for this board, I'm doing it as a personal exercise - and I've run into something that hadn't occurred to me before and I've been unable to find anything specific on it.

Exhibit One: Inheritance, which can only target Non-victory Action cards in the Supply.
Exhibit Two: Fool's Gold, which has a type of "Treasure - Reaction".
Exhibit Three: Caravan Guard, chosen as a sample of another reaction card, which lists Action specifically in addition to Reaction.

So if I were ruling this on the fly, I'd say Fool's Gold is not an Action card - that Reaction is a separate type from Action, not a subset of it.  That appears to be the intent of the wording specifying Action cards instead of just Non-Victory cards.  But I'm still newb enough that I'd prefer a confirmation before embarrassing myself  :-X

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: Are 'Reaction' cards considered Action cards?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 10:38:22 am »
+1

You are correct.  Fool's Gold, Hovel, and Tunnel are all Reactions that are not Actions.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

TheEmerged

• Swindler
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 10:43:12 am »

Thank you for the confirmation.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 12:27:33 pm »

To follow up, I don't think "reacting" an action-reaction card is considering an "action", is it?  I.e. would it count towards a Conspirator?  So say I start my turn, play a Chapel to trash a Copper, react a Market Square to discard it and gain a Gold, then play a Conspirator.  The Conspirator is my second action played that turn, not the third, right?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 12:33:36 pm »

To follow up, I don't think "reacting" an action-reaction card is considering an "action", is it?  I.e. would it count towards a Conspirator?  So say I start my turn, play a Chapel to trash a Copper, react a Market Square to discard it and gain a Gold, then play a Conspirator.  The Conspirator is my second action played that turn, not the third, right?

Right.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 12:44:05 pm »

Wow, if Inheritance covered Victory cards, that would be really really good, like brokenly good. Every Estate is also an Island? That's a $2 Duchy that removes itself from the game!

Another idea.. Try playing 1000000000 Highways, and then Inheritance is just so strong.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 01:07:37 pm »
+2

Just to clarify a bit further, there are no sub-types in Dominion.  While people tend to think of Action, Treasure, Victory, and Curse as the "main" types because all cards (except Hovel) fit into at least one of them and because several cards (e.g. Ironworks) expressly reference the Action, Treasure, and Victory types, that doesn't mean that the other types are subsets of those types.  The words listed at the bottom of its card are the complete list of its types (unless something like Inheritance changes those types).  Thus, Inheritance's "non-Victory Action card" requirement simply asks whether the bottom of the card says "Action" and does not say "Victory."  Any other types listed don't matter.

Wow, if Inheritance covered Victory cards, that would be really really good, like brokenly good. Every Estate is also an Island? That's a $2 Duchy that removes itself from the game!
IIRC, DXV gave that as the reason why it doesn't cover Victory cards: "it was too automatic" to use it on Action-Victory cards if they were available.
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 01:58:56 pm »

Right.  There are just major types and minor types.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 02:15:37 pm »
+4

I think he's actually saying there aren't.  I.e. there's nothing stopping Donald from making an Ironworks variant that says "If it is a... Duration card, do X; Reaction card, do Y; Shelter, do Z".

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 02:52:54 pm »
+1

I think he's actually saying there aren't.  I.e. there's nothing stopping Donald from making an Ironworks variant that says "If it is a... Duration card, do X; Reaction card, do Y; Shelter, do Z".

Right. And in fact a version of Relic did exactly this. If you have an Attack in play, do X. If you have a Duration in play, do Y. If you have a Reaction or Reserve in play, do Z.

There are not "major" and "minor" types. There are only types.

IIRC, DXV gave that as the reason why it doesn't cover Victory cards: "it was too automatic" to use it on Action-Victory cards if they were available.

A big part of it being too automatic was that you pseudo-gain a copy of the card as part of buying Inheritance. So not only would all your Estates be Duchies that you could set aside (which itself doesn't seem so broken to me), but you'd also get a "free" 3 VP with your purchase—the Island you put your Estate token on.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.