Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Mafia 66: Donald's Greater Idea Mafia 2 (Signups Open!)  (Read 15596 times)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia 65: Stormlight Mafia (Signups Open!)
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2015, 12:38:22 pm »

Discussing about the Pre-Game phase, including the PRs and the Pre-Game Votes, in a public topic (eg. the game itself, the Queue) is strictly forbidden, however, the Mafia has Daytalk, and are allowed and encouraged to discuss their PR choices and votes.

Also, is this necessary? I have a strong dislike for posting restrictions and don't think they belong in a normal game.

Well, I think just restricting talking about who you voted for, because you could solve the whole set up. Is that okay?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia 66: Stormlight Mafia (Signups Open!)
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2015, 01:48:50 pm »

Vote claiming is really good for town, easy to catch scum in a lie.  If it's allowed, it changes scum's best voting strategy, but then the game could swing so much on how people vote and who rolls scum... 

@Mail-mi: I'm kind of fascinated by this game even though I don't want to play.  The mechanics are neat, I can't stop thinking about them.  I've never modded or co-modded anything before and I don't know the flavor at all, but if you want I could help out with co-modding.  I like the idea of modding a game someday and it would be nice to get in some practice helping.  Given my previous site-flake and lack of experience I'd understand if you don't want me of course, no offense taken.  But I'll probably be watching closely anyway.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2015, 01:56:25 pm »

Vote claiming is really good for town, easy to catch scum in a lie.  If it's allowed, it changes scum's best voting strategy, but then the game could swing so much on how people vote and who rolls scum... 

@Mail-mi: I'm kind of fascinated by this game even though I don't want to play.  The mechanics are neat, I can't stop thinking about them.  I've never modded or co-modded anything before and I don't know the flavor at all, but if you want I could help out with co-modding.  I like the idea of modding a game someday and it would be nice to get in some practice helping.  Given my previous site-flake and lack of experience I'd understand if you don't want me of course, no offense taken.  But I'll probably be watching closely anyway.

Exactly. I think I'm going to disallow vote claiming but allow everything else.

Definitely! Co-modding is the only way to get experience after all.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 02:00:17 pm »

Cool!  Looking forward to it then.

Ghacob

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gender
  • J. They/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2015, 02:02:12 pm »

/in

Is pre-game strategy discussion allowed?

Pre game as in before the game starts of pre game as in the pre game phase described above?

Before the game starts.

I would definitely like to ask about strategy discussion in pre-pregame, i.e. now

As
Gender happened.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2015, 02:03:08 pm »

/in

Pre game as in before the game starts of pre game as in the pre game phase described above?

Before the game starts.

I would definitely like to ask about strategy discussion in pre-pregame, i.e. now

As

Well, that's obviously allowed, as the game has yet to start.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2015, 07:23:05 pm »

/tag

I agree with faust, for some reason the posting restriction really ruins the purity of the game to me.  It would be a lot better if there was a good way to do it without having restrictions.

I don't really understand the idea of the pre-game voting from a design perspective though.  Isn't it basically just random who votes for whom?  Or I guess the idea is that mafia will want to vote for each other, so it's a little better than random for them?

Ghacob

• Young Witch
  • J. They/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2015, 09:19:51 pm »

/in

Before the game starts.

As

Well, that's obviously allowed, as the game has yet to start.

Congratulations! This game is both easily broken and the posting restriction does literally nothing!
Gender happened.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2015, 11:09:20 pm »

I'm not sure if I have a problem with the posting restriction, but I'm also not a big fan of blind WIFOM, especially if it has the all or nothing aspect. Like, two players select cop and both get 1 vote - awesome. 3 players select cop - now we have nothing. game might very well decided by that. meh.

Ghacob

• Young Witch
  • J. They/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2015, 11:15:09 pm »

What if this process was randomized?

Maybe some simple rules like mafia should vote for eachother and not be friendly neighbor... hmm

I'll return with some results
Gender happened.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2015, 11:23:36 pm »

So.....we start this game and finish it in what.....20 years?

But love the books.  Wish I could play but just don't have time right now

/tag
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2015, 11:25:34 pm »

when does book three come out anyway?  I just really feel like Brandon Sanderson needs to quit all his other books and just focus on these. 
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Ghacob

• Young Witch
  • J. They/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2015, 11:48:04 pm »

Just had one trial where I had everyone choose a random role, and then have everyone but mafia vote a random player, mafia distributing one vote each amongst themselves. Although it could probably be refined by giving mafia only a select of the roles, even perhaps by letting them choose their roles/vote distributions? this gives you an idea I guess

Mafia:
2 shot tracker
2 shot redirector
2 shot jailkeeper
Town:
1 shot commuter
1 shot commuter
1 shot rolecop
1 shot mystic
2 shot desperado
6 VTs

A big plus to this I see is removing vote meta, although that too could be fixed by only randomizing votes and letting everyone make their own choices, that's a thought
Gender happened.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2015, 12:42:04 am »

when does book three come out anyway?  I just really feel like Brandon Sanderson needs to quit all his other books and just focus on these.

If he does that they'd actually come out slower than they do now. He jumps from book to book to refresh himself so he keeps chugging out books all the time, faster than any other fantasy author that I know of.

EgorK

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2015, 03:17:17 am »

/in

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2015, 05:53:31 am »

Well, posting restrictions can always be played around. I can say "I would definitely vote for a strong player" and then "I think ashersky is a strong player". I haven't vote claimed, have I? BBut everyone knows who I voted for.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2015, 11:54:42 am »

Do people not like the set up? I can choose a different one if that's what people prefer.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2015, 11:55:33 am »

Well, posting restrictions can always be played around. I can say "I would definitely vote for a strong player" and then "I think ashersky is a strong player". I haven't vote claimed, have I? BBut everyone knows who I voted for.

That's why it and now I would disallow any discussion of pre-game votes . :P

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2015, 01:18:19 pm »

Okay, so I don't want to distract from the thread, but would it be worth thinking out loud and discussing optimal strategies in thread?  Would that help or hurt the game?

And Mail-mi, would having a discussion about optimal strategies in-thread now help figure out if slight rules changes would make things smoother?

(I'm not claiming to have game-theoried this whole thing out myself, I find that's always easier when I get in a fight with someone about it.)

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2015, 06:31:45 pm »

I think the appropriate vote choice is to vote for chairs.

/in

I'm still not sold that removing the posting restriction entirely is a "bad thing" necessarily, but I don't mind playing with it in place.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2015, 07:18:12 pm »

Okay, so I don't want to distract from the thread, but would it be worth thinking out loud and discussing optimal strategies in thread?  Would that help or hurt the game?

And Mail-mi, would having a discussion about optimal strategies in-thread now help figure out if slight rules changes would make things smoother?

Yeah, maybe...

Do people want to change the set up?

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2015, 07:36:32 pm »

I think the setup is interesting, but there is no promise that it will be balanced imho.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2015, 07:50:14 pm »

I could do a Donald's Greater Idea Mafia 2. That I can at least reroll the set up to have some promise of some semblance of balance.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2015, 08:39:52 pm »

well I don't like the setup very much for the reason I explained earlier, so, yeah, changing it sounds good.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia 66: Donald's Greater Idea Mafia 2 (Signups Open!)
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2015, 10:21:07 pm »

SET UP HAS BEEN CHANGED.

This is now Donald's Greater Idea Mafia 2.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 19 queries.