Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: A Traveller with 2 different routes  (Read 9085 times)

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
Re: A Traveller with 2 different routes
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2015, 08:42:40 am »

Trust me, he's better ;)

It is better indeed, it can be throned at least. But still, it's a terminal at best, and it seems you need to work a bit to have it in your deck.

Btw, have you tried dropping that 4 cards limit?

Protector easily produces $3 which is good. In an engine, it reaches $4 roughly half of the time which is, as AdamH would express it, super-bonkers amazeballs. Such a card should cost at least $6 if it wasn't a Traveller. I capped it at 4 cards lest Protector is broken.

This will be useless without trashers in the supply. You could fix this either by adding a weak trashing ability (e.g. 'When you gain this, you may trash a card that is in your hand or in play), or else having a setup condition that puts, say, 10 Coppers from the supply into the trash.

Compare Graverobber, Rogue, and Forager, all of which are cards that interact with the trash but also put cards into it.

Robber Knight, which is available without trashing, trashes cards. It also is pretty good. Allthough, as Petty Lord is a weaker Peddler now, i think it could cost a little less.

Yes, I was so clever to make Robber Knight always available. And RK makes the other Travellers available if nothing else does.
Some good player on the forum once denounced the general conception that $4 was an appropriate price for Peddler because the effect was pretty strong for $4. DXV didn't make a vanilla Peddler for $4 because it would delimit the design space for all Peddler variants, e.g., if such a card existed, Market would look very weak. With that said, I think the current Petty Lord is rightfully priced at $4, especially considering what powerful cards it can be exchanged for. You wouldn't normally pay $2 for a Page that's not a Traveller, would you?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 08:44:39 am by Co0kieL0rd »
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2015, 03:54:23 pm »

Some good player on the forum once denounced the general conception that $4 was an appropriate price for Peddler because the effect was pretty strong for $4. DXV didn't make a vanilla Peddler for $4 because it would delimit the design space for all Peddler variants, e.g., if such a card existed, Market would look very weak.
Which is, incidentally, why all Lab variants have to be so gimmicky.

More on topic, a concern I have is that in games with no or weak trashing one player can gain RK out of luck and start trashing much earlier than their opponent, all this while increasing their own chance of getting more RK's and WL without significantly making the opponent's chances of getting one of their own higher. This player has also all the power of choosing when and whether Protector ever becomes available. I'm not sure, it sure warrants some careful playtesting. :)

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2015, 04:47:45 pm »

Some good player on the forum once denounced the general conception that $4 was an appropriate price for Peddler because the effect was pretty strong for $4. DXV didn't make a vanilla Peddler for $4 because it would delimit the design space for all Peddler variants, e.g., if such a card existed, Market would look very weak.
Which is, incidentally, why all Lab variants have to be so gimmicky.

More on topic, a concern I have is that in games with no or weak trashing one player can gain RK out of luck and start trashing much earlier than their opponent, all this while increasing their own chance of getting more RK's and WL without significantly making the opponent's chances of getting one of their own higher. This player has also all the power of choosing when and whether Protector ever becomes available. I'm not sure, it sure warrants some careful playtesting. :)

Yeah, shuffle luck might be an issue. Asper and I probably haven't playtested it enough to see how impactful it is when only one player gets a Robber Knight before the second reshuffle.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2016, 05:39:42 pm »

Hello everyone! I've been working on my Traveller line a lot and changed small pieces of it over and over. This is how it currently looks. It still needs a lot of testing! So much until I feel it's stable and I don't need to change anything anymore for multiple games.

Petty Lord, $3, Action/ Looter/ Traveller
+1 Card. +1 Action. You may return a non-Victory card from the trash to the Supply.
At the start of Clean-up this turn, you may choose one: if there is at least 1 Victory card per player in the trash, exchange this for a Protector; or, if you have at least 2 cards in hand, exchange this for a Robber Knight.

Robber Knight, $5*, Action/ Attack/ Looter/ Traveller
Trash up to 2 cards from your hand. If you trashed exactly 2, gain a Silver. Each other player gains a Ruins.
When you discard this from play, if there are at least half as many empty Supply piles as there are players (rounded down), you may exchange this for a Warlord. (This is not in the Supply.)

Warlord, $7*, Action/ Attack
+4 Cards. Trash a non-Victory card from the Supply. Each other player with 5 or more cards in their hand discards a card costing the same as the trashed card (or reveals a hand without such cards). (This is not in the Supply.)

Protector, $5*, Action/ Traveller
Reveal up to 4 cards from your hand. +$1 for each differently named card revealed.
When you discard this from play, if there are at least twice as many Ruins in the trash as there are players, you may exchange it for a Savior. (This is not in the Supply.)

Savior, $7*, Action
+1 Action. Do this twice: Name a card and reveal cards from your deck until you reveal the named card, then put it into your hand and discard the rest. (This is not in the Supply.)

What has been changed?
  • Petty Lord has been downgraded from Peddler variant to mere cantrip with an extra effect that's weak enough to make it cost $3 (instead of $4). The effect is still important in that it can defer the time Robber Knights and Protectors can be exchanged for their final stages. On the other hand, getting Robber Knight and Protector is both easier and more consistent now.
  • Robber Knight has been nerfed from gaining Gold to gaining Silvers. Its strong trashing feature still makes it important on many boards. The exchange condition for Warlord hasn't changed.
  • Warlord's attack is simpler and less devastating now resulting in considerably less card text. It's still crazy-powerful and might seal the game with a single play (which you usually don't get more than, anyway).
  • Protector still does the good ol' thing on-play. Its exchange condition for Savior underwent a few changes but for now it might work like this. I have yet to see whether the current version of Petty Lord will be able to effectively prevent Protectors from being exchanged.
  • Savior got a huge boost from inverse-Journeyman-Golem to inverse-Journeyman-Golem-Laboratory. I felt this was necessary because it's so hard to ever get a Savior and still have time left to play it. If it turns out to be nuts of course I'll change it back or do some other stuff.
Check out my fan cards!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.