Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 51  All

Author Topic: F.DS Forum Survivor Season 3 - FINALE: WINNER REVEALED  (Read 122770 times)

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: F.DS Forum Survivor Season 3 - F14: Immunity/reward challenge: 2R1B
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2015, 09:51:20 pm »

Ok, I've completed the energy reporting.  What's going to happen is you will each get a link in your QT to a spreadsheet recording your energy total and all the gains/losses that got you there.  This will always be the most up-to-date version of your energy, so bookmark it or something and always reference back to that.  If you ever want to know your energy total, just look at your spreadsheet.  As usual, direct any questions you may have to your confessional.

It will still be a bit before I'm ready to release the challenge.  Hopefully by tomorrow morning.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 30, 2015, 11:30:33 pm »

You’ve got tree mail!
You all think you’re pretty smart
so why don’t we put that to the test?
Never fear, we’ll play at science not art.
Winner walks away eating best!

But what is a scientist’s favorite game
when he can’t take a peek,
Don’t know?  that’s a shame
It’s naturally hide and seek!

This marks the beginning of a resting/gathering/building/nothing period.  Please note which one you’re doing in your tribe QT, and remember, if you talk to someone privately before they pick and they pick a different task than you, you won’t receive your benefit from your activity.  This period will end when the following challenge ends. 

You can spend energy on this challenge in increments of 10.  The challenge itself will cost you 20 energy at the end of the challenge.  You have 22 hours to post in your QT if you are spending energy on the challenge or not

Necropolis tribe, you will use your existing tribe QT, Hovel, you will get a new one in your QT’s
THREADS UNLOCKED

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 31, 2015, 01:02:19 pm »

Due to some confusion I have modified the energy spreadsheets.  The very top line should now give your your most up to date energy and morale totals.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 01, 2015, 11:49:25 am »

COME ON IN GUYS!
Necropolis tribe getting their first look at the new Hovel tribe, Hugovj voted out at the last tribal council.

Now let’s get to the challenge.  We’re playing Black Box

Black Box is an atomic game of hide and seek!  You will be paired up one-on-one with a player from the other tribe.  Hovel tribe, since you are one player down, one person will have to play 2 players at once.

Rules of the game
Black box is played on an 8x8 grid.  Each player will hide 4 atoms on their board somewhere in the grid.  In order to locate the atoms on your opponent’s board you will fire lasers in from the edges of the board.  Your opponent will then report what happens with the laser.  Using these hints you will try and locate the atoms on your opponent’s board.

Details:
On your turn, you name a number.  A laser is shot from that location around the edge of the board.  Your opponent looks at the position of the atoms he has secretly placed on his board and reports the result of firing a laser from that location.  Here is how the lasers interact with the atoms and how to report them

Detour - When a laser passes by an atom in an adjacent row/column the laser is deflected 90 degrees away from the atom.  This can happen multiple times before the laser leaves the box.  When you report a detour, you report the location the laser leaves the box.  Example below:

In this example, player A fired a laser out of position 4, the Player B reported “19”.  An easy way to mark this is to put the same letter outside those numbers as shown.
Hit - A hit occurs when the laser hits an atom dead on.  The laser does not come out of the box.  There can be other deflections before the laser hits the atom, the only thing that is reported is “hit”.  An example of this can be seen below. 

Reflection - Final possible result is the laser returns to the same port it came from.  This can happen in 2 ways:  The laser is deflected multiple times and returns to the same port.

The other way it can happen is the atom is on the edge of the board and the laser coming out is adjacent to it.  This can be seen in positions 23 and 21 in the full board example below.

Complete board example

Everyone will be receiving a spreadsheet with 2 blank boards on it.  Fill the top one with your atom positions and the results of firing a laser from each position, just like the complete board example above.  The lower board is where you will record the results from firing lasers into your opponent’s board.  Please make sure to actually record them here because this is how your score will be totaled. 

Once you feel you have enough information to locate all the atoms, you will make a guess.  When you do, you report all the positions you think the atoms are at to your opponent.  They then tell you which atoms are incorrect.

Scoring:
When you fire a laser, you score points as follows:
Detour - 2 pts
Reflection - 1 pt
Hit - 1pt

When you make a guess, each incorrectly placed atom gives you 5 points.
You keep going until each player has completed their board.  (so if player A has already found all 4 atoms and player B has not, player B keeps going and A keeps reporting).
an incorrectly reported laser results in a score of 0 for your opponent for the whole board

The tribe with the lowest total score wins reward!  I bet you wanna know what you’re playing for!
Hunting gear!  This comes with enough hunting gear to send 2 people hunting!  With this gear, 2 of your gatherers will be able to hunt.  Hunting requires some more time to be successful, but results in much higher energy production.

Jimmmmm spent 10 energy on this challenge so he automatically receives -5 points!
Finally, Jimmmmm and mpsprs are intelligent meaning they get 5 atoms to hide in their black boxes.

Challenge starts in 24 hours when Hovel chooses who will play 2 people.  Please ask any questions and clarifications you might have in this thread.  That way everyone can benefit from the clarifications because I know this is a bit confusing. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 11:52:00 am by AHoppy »

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 01, 2015, 12:09:32 pm »

If Jimmmm plays 2 people, does he get -5 on both scores, and 5 atoms on both?
What happens if there are 3 atoms next to each other and the ebam hits the middle one? Is it reflected, or a hit? (like this:
Code: [Select]
XXX
-O-
-O-
, where O is the beam and X are atoms)

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 01, 2015, 12:13:42 pm »

If Jimmmm plays 2 people, does he get -5 on both scores, and 5 atoms on both?
What happens if there are 3 atoms next to each other and the ebam hits the middle one? Is it reflected, or a hit? (like this:
Code: [Select]
XXX
-O-
-O-
, where O is the beam and X are atoms)
Jimmmmm gets -5 on his total score.  5 atoms on both. that's a hit.

mpsprs

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 01, 2015, 12:19:58 pm »

A more complicated question:  Not all grids are uniquely determined by the patterns observed by shooting lasers.  What are the rules for situations like that?

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 01, 2015, 12:26:20 pm »

It looks like I didn't give edit permissions when I sent out the spreadsheets.  You should have them now

Re: mpsprs - with 4 atoms this should not be a problem.  With 5, please don't make an indeterminate board.  If you have the ability to place 5 and you'd rather place 4, you may do so but you must tell your opponent how many you're placing when you start.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 01, 2015, 12:33:50 pm »

Additionally, you can talk general strategic advice with your tribe, but once the game has started you can't ask about what to do for specific moves.  Those are all individual.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 01, 2015, 12:36:57 pm »

It's telling me I need to get the app in order to edit my spreadsheet.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 01, 2015, 12:39:09 pm »

Are you doing this on your phone, or on a computer?  You should be able to do it on a computer.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 01, 2015, 12:43:51 pm »

Are you doing this on your phone, or on a computer?  You should be able to do it on a computer.
Okay, I will try it on a computer.
Thanks!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 01, 2015, 12:47:17 pm »

I didn't realize you couldn't edit on mobile without an app.  If there is some extenuating circumstance where you can't use a computer and don't want to download the sheets app or something, let me know in your confessional and we can make it work some other way.

mpsprs

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 02, 2015, 11:53:52 am »

Time for the notification:  mpsprs will be playing 2 games.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 02, 2015, 12:23:26 pm »

wonderful. You guys have until I get home from work to modify your boards, I'll start the challenge then (~5hrs)

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 02, 2015, 02:00:48 pm »

also, if you haven't done it already I highly recommend putting the results of all laser fires around your board so you don't mess up in reporting. Just reminding you that if you do mess up, your opponent gets a score of 0

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 02, 2015, 05:39:09 pm »

I'm waiting on one more black box grid.  I have contacted you via confessional and PM, so you should know who you are.  I have a league match tonight (which I'll be streaming by the way) that starts around 6/6:30 EST (about an hour) and if this grid has not been completed by then, I will assign atoms to random positions in the grid.   It will be up to this player to fill in the results still.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 02, 2015, 08:51:29 pm »

Thanks to our friends at Random.org we have the final board and the pairings!  (big thank you to our sponsor ;))

The pairings

Jimmmmm [5]        v.    Hydrad [4]
mpsprs [5]             v.    AdamH [4]
mpsprs [5]             v.    teamlyle [4]
mcmcsalot [4]        v.    Awaclus [4]
Watno [4]              v.    Eevee [4]
Roadrunner7671 [4] v.    iguanaiguana [4]
gkrieg13 [4]           v.    Robz888 [4]

I will be sending you links to private QT's with these people.  Please only talk about the challenge.  I might even recommend trying to schedule a time you can both be on to do the challenge faster.  This is of course not necessary, but could be nice to help speed things along.
To start, someone say ex. Fire # It doesn't really matter who goes first.  Then the next person responds with Detour # or Hit or Reflection.  This then goes back and forth until you are ready to guess.  Then you say Guess: (##,##) etc. to guess the coordinates of the atoms.  Pretty straightforward.

Finally, I have taken screenshots of all your boards so do not change them.  feel free to mark things up in any way you need though.  The lower board is yours to do whatever you want with. 

Finally, I expect each person to make a move every 24 hours.  I haven't chosen any "punishment" per se for that, but I reserve the right to do so if this takes an excessively long time.  I of course will understand any necessary IRL extenuating circumstances, but please make those known in your confessionals.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 02, 2015, 09:07:57 pm »

Actually, rather than give you the threads again, you all already have these threads.  The ones you need have been opened, you should be able to find them in your confessional from earlier

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 03, 2015, 11:30:55 am »

If the laser passes through the entire grid without touching an atom, does that count as a detour, or as something else? It doesn't seem to constitute a detour but it's obviously not a hit or a reflection either...
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 03, 2015, 11:49:47 am »

It will be reported as a detour

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: F.DS Forum Survivor Season 3 - F13: Reward - Black Box
« Reply #171 on: November 05, 2015, 11:34:20 pm »

Only one more player needs to finish up.  I will have limited access this weekend, I'll try to keep up if the person left finishes.

teamlyle

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: La-Ya
  • Ah... German Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 06, 2015, 04:16:41 pm »

I hope Necropolis! Wins! Reward!
"In your face." -Jacob
"Ooh. You just got burned." -Jack
"First place again, disciple!" -Ruikai
"Ugh... 399 cursors. Time to hack!" -Ben
"You gotta do your homework, dude!" -Yul
"Come on man, let the plat play." -The Plat
"It's nice to have a good 'in your face' every once in a while." -Jacob
"OBJECTION!!! The witness is being SUPER gross." -Phoenix Wright
"Milord, Inquisitor Fey sentences that burger to my stomach!" -Maya Fey
"Dude, I only had 4 cups of coffee this morning so I'm gonna crash." -Swi
"Okay, okay. My team name is: Team Lyle: the Advancing Armadillo." -Lyle
"I’m sorry Cedric, we just have to do what we have to do to get me to be a op." -Paul
"Well, I prefer loyal people. I don’t want anyone to be a La-Ya except for me." -La-Ya
"I don't play Monkey vs. Monkey. I'm too busy in pacifist mode, watching my buildings survive and thrive!" -Joshua
Lyle's mom: Are you guys going to play regular Dominion, or are you going to play cheat?
Lyle: Of course we're playing Cheat Dominion!

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 06, 2015, 04:19:48 pm »

hey, that's my color

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 09, 2015, 03:36:38 pm »

Did they finish up?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 51  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.