Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A random throne variant idea  (Read 1127 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
A random throne variant idea
« on: July 08, 2015, 11:18:38 am »

I just had this idea. It's a Throne Room which temporarily junks you with a terminal silver that costs $4. I don't know if this is balanced or not.

Card A
$4 Action
You may gain a Card B from the Card B pile. If you do, you may choose an Action card in your hand and play it twice.

Card B
$4* Action
+$2
When you play or trash this, return it to the Card B pile.
(This is not in the supply.)

The Card B pile has an unlimited supply because I'm not actually going to print this card.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: A random throne variant idea
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 12:05:07 pm »
+2

I would make Card B stronger and cost Card A at $5. That avoids people complaining about it being strictly better than Throne Room (yes I know it's not strictly better but people would still complain) while also making it more fun.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 12:51:03 pm »
+4

I would make Card B stronger and cost Card A at $5. That avoids people complaining about it being strictly better than Throne Room (yes I know it's not strictly better but people would still complain) while also making it more fun.

See, I would complain that it's strictly worse than Throne Room (even though I know it's not actually strictly worse). A one-shot terminal Silver with no other benefit is going to be a bad thing in most decks.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 01:04:43 pm »

You're probably right about the people complaining part. I'm not sure about the more fun part though. Having it cost $4 instead of $5 means a lot of fun things:

- it becomes much more easily chainable
 - it doesn't share a price point with $5 terminal draw, which makes engine building feel a lot better since you won't have as many of those awkward "Silver or nothing" early turns
 - it emphasizes the fact that Card B is actually a junk card that you usually don't want in your deck

There's also very little room for Card B to be stronger, because it is still supposed to be a junk card. I briefly considered having them be like Ruins with different kinds of Duchess-like symmetrical effects, which would probably be more fun, but then I also liked this simpler version. I suppose I could make it just cost $5 or $6 to make the TfB interaction stronger, but that probably doesn't make the card strong enough to increase Card A's cost to $5 as well.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 20 queries.