Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fearmonger  (Read 1612 times)

adventure seeker

• Swindler
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
Fearmonger
« on: July 06, 2015, 10:35:11 pm »
+1

FEARMONGER
Action-Attack
Cost: $4
+Card, +1 Action
Name a card. Each other player who does not discard a copy of it, reveals his hand.
If he reveals the named card and you can reveal a match from your own hand, he trashes his copy.

In play-testing, this forces you to pay more attention to what other players buy and play as they go through their decks. If someone plays Fearmonger, no need to discard the named Platinum, for example, if you know they only have one Platinum and played it last turn. But if you don't pay attention and decide not to discard, you might be the one trashing a Platinum from your hand.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
Re: Fearmonger
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 10:40:40 pm »

EDIT: I misread how the card worked.

GeeJo

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 12:29:47 am »
+1

The fact that this is a cantrip, and places no limitations on the number of times you can force people to discard, makes this an incredibly easy way to lock players out of a game. Playing as the fourth player in a multiplayer game where everyone else had a Fearmonger or two would be really depressing. I would suggest either adding "Each other player with X or more cards in hand", or forcing the Fearmonger player to discard the named card somehow, or at least making it terminal.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 12:38:17 am by GeeJo »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 06:54:06 am »

I do like that this will never hit VP cards, because you will just discard them without regret in most games. Locking people out is a big problem, though.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 07:14:43 am »
+1

Indeed, it can lock games, and it would even if you barred some cards (keeping only cards up to $6, or non-Victory cards) ; I think you should at least discard your own card when he reveals the named card (if you choose to make him trash) ;

What about :
Fearmonger
Action attack, cost $4
+$2
Name a card costing up to $6. Each player may discard a copy of it ; you do so last.
If you discarded, every opponent with at least 5 cards in hand who didn't trashes a copy of it from his hand or reveals his hand if he can't.

It may still be boring but the fact you've purchase power instead of +action makes it better. The problem is if you play two of them, you can gain information from the first one and discard/trash his hand this way so I added the italic part... it's heavy worded but easily understandable when you read it once, right ?

EDIT : oops, I forgot to add a restriction.
RE-EDIT : well, no, they would just discard their Provinces and Colonies anyway, lol ! But still, the $6 restriction for platina and KC ?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 07:19:54 am by ChocophileBenj »
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 09:35:42 am »
+1

It's a brilliant idea, with some poker flavor! And I don't see the need for further restrictions:
- to pin your opponent, you need to play several Fearmongers, which are now terminal, AND discard the crucial cards your opponent has in his hand. This seems to be very difficult.
- There is also no need to forbid naming cards like kings court. To trash your opponents KC, you have to discard yours - this is dangerous, because your opponent might not have one in his hand, and you will look like a fool discarding KC.

It should be ok like this:

Fearmonger
Action attack, cost $4
+$2
Name a card. Each player may discard a copy of it; you do so last.
If you discarded, every opponent who didn't trashes a copy of it (or reveals a hand without it).

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.