Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cards that Create a Little More Interaction  (Read 2633 times)

adventure seeker

• Swindler
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
Cards that Create a Little More Interaction
« on: July 06, 2015, 10:21:16 pm »

TOOL
Action
Cost: $1
The player on your left chooses two for you:
+1 Card, +$1, +1 Buy, or trash a card from your hand.

We've play-tested it, and sometimes you feel like the Tool, doing something you're told to do that isn't beneficial. Other times, the player on your left is the Tool, unwittingly giving you just what you need. Think of it as a dimwitted Pawn.

LOOT
Treasure
Cost: $4
$?
Each other player reveals his hand, and you may play this
as a revealed Treasure that you choose.

In play-testing, it is certainly a nice card at times and makes Big Money players rethink things a bit. On the other hand, other players can get crafty and leave you with little to Loot. I played it against someone who loves Treasure Trove, to good effect, but another player in a different game diverted quickly to Giants for coinage, and left me with nothing to Loot.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Cards that Create a Little More Interaction
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 03:10:58 am »
+1

Tool -- I think the concept has promise, but this version is no good.  When you get down to such a low price point, the major cost isn't the coin but the Buy.  $1 is not very different from $2 in cost, so the fact that this is much worse than Pawn means that I'd probably never buy it.  I'd drop the trash a card option because it's too easy to play around (generally speaking, it's a bad choice early because the trashing is good for you, but it's an easy choice late because the trashing can only hurt) and make any remaining options bigger.

Loot -- This is only really useful against Big Money, which is itself a weak strategy.  Given its unreliability, I'd actually test this at $3 or even $2 to start.  I don't really like the concept though.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 03:32:36 am »

Loot should be an attack.
Also, I'm not sure making reveal the whole hand is a thing to do : there's only one card so far that demands you such a thing, it is pillage and it is a one-shot (barring Graverobber and Rogue)
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 03:42:38 am »
+1

Also, I'm not sure making reveal the whole hand is a thing to do : there's only one card so far that demands you such a thing, it is pillage and it is a one-shot (barring Graverobber and Rogue)

Cutpurse makes others reveal their hand.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 03:43:14 am »

And Bureaucrat, of course.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 10:35:52 am »

I think current Loot is unfortunate. Obviously, you're not stealing stuff from other players, so it's not like you really do them any harm. On the other hand, you gain information against their will. To make it a bit stronger (and remove the hand revealing), you could let all other players reveal cards from the top of their decks and dig for treasures to fake. Or, just to make sure feeling attacked is legitimate, let it be an attack that digs for Treasures and can then decide to return or discard them.

Also i'm not sure i like it being played as another Treasure. You could technically play Loot as Loot as Loot as Loot... An alternative would be "This is worth the same as if it was one of the revealed Treasures that you choose." Works for most Treasures and makes it a big weaker. Philosopher's Stone is the only weak spot here, because it determines its value on something you do when you play it (or rather some variable which's value you only get to know when you play it).

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 04:24:53 pm »

Cutpurse makes others reveal their hand.

I meant revealing hand no matter what. No ?
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 04:52:37 pm »

I think the one thing that Dominion needs the most is a non-Attack card that makes your opponents reveal their hands.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 04:56:50 pm »
+1

I think the one thing that Dominion needs the most is a non-Attack card that makes your opponents reveal their hands.

how about a non-attack that lets you make decisions for your opponent on their turn, or maybe a non-attack that lets you pass your  cards into their deck?

Hey, those would combo!
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 05:06:31 pm »

how about a non-attack that lets you make decisions for your opponent on their turn, or maybe a non-attack that lets you pass your  cards into their deck?

Hey, those would combo!

Possession doesn't work for that purpose, though, because you don't get to see your opponent's hand for his next own turn until it's too late to do anything with that information.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 21 queries.