Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Masterpiece for $5?  (Read 5196 times)

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
Masterpiece for $5?
« on: July 06, 2015, 06:28:16 pm »
+2

In a money deck where you draw $5, should you get a Masterpiece and two Silvers, or just a Silver? Let's say there are nothing you want for $5, and let's say you haven't started greening so you just have your opening Estates. What's better for your deck, a Silver, or a two Silvers and a "Copper"?

And what about for $6? I assume Masterpiece + 3 Silvers is better than Gold? (Also assume no discard attacks.)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Masterpiece for $5?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 06:50:19 pm »
+2

Masterpiece for $5 is better than a Silver.

For $6, it depends. Gold is better before your first big Masterpiece buy, but Masterpiece is better if you already have a lot of Silvers.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 09:53:09 pm »
+1

Along the same lines, is $5 Masterpiece better than Cache? Cache gives you 2 Coppers instead of 1, but an early Gold sets up a big buy in the next shuffle, even if it only combines with Coppers, while you normally need 2 Silver or Silver-equivalents to get $5 or $6.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 12:11:51 am »

Along the same lines, is $5 Masterpiece better than Cache? Cache gives you 2 Coppers instead of 1, but an early Gold sets up a big buy in the next shuffle, even if it only combines with Coppers, while you normally need 2 Silver or Silver-equivalents to get $5 or $6.

On that note, when would a player buy Cache on a / opening?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 01:05:49 am »

When you need one big turn to get going and that's more important than the smoothness of two Silvers.  Like if you're prepping for your first big Masterpiece buy (and it's not a Feodum board).  Or if you're trying to spike something like Forge that'll take care of the coppers later, or maybe an early Province for Tournament? 
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 03:30:12 am »
+1

Masterpiece for $5 ?
Skyrim during Steam Sales  :P

Can cache be good in a moneylender/chapel/spice merchant deck ?
And Masterpiece... never played with this so far (or no game I recall this card to be relevant)
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

thespaceinvader

• Minion
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 03:33:39 am »

Depends on the kingdom, of course.  I would imagine Cache/Chapel to be a pretty OK opening, for example.  COuncilroom would seem to concur http://councilroom.com/openings?card=Cache

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 03:46:20 am »

Masterpiece for $5 ?
Skyrim during Steam Sales  :P

Can cache be good in a moneylender/chapel/spice merchant deck ?
And Masterpiece... never played with this so far (or no game I recall this card to be relevant)

Sure, gaining Coppers (with Cache) is good if you actually need some food for your trashers and you have the terminal space if needed. So you probably want Cache even over Gold in your draw engine if your deck is already trim and you can draw it reliably, especially if that means you can play your Forager/Spice Merchant for that extra +Buy that you need and it's probably nice enough to extend the usefulness of your Moneylender. Also, with Mercenary it's very nice because you gain two more Coppers to attack your opponent once more.
With Chapel it's less nice because the extra Coppers aren't useful and just some extra junk in your deck. But again, if your deck is already trim and you want some money and you only have 5$, it's okay.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 03:48:37 am by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 07:22:05 am »
+3

I dunno, man. A Cache/Chapel opening gives you a much higher chance of T5 Chapel Syndrome than any other $5 card --

Chapel/anything else = 2/12 = 17%
Chapel/Cache = 4/14 = 29%

That's 12% of games, one in every nine, that you just lose because of this opening, that Cache better be totally off-the-wall, bonkers-sauce, amaze-balls, rock star, super hero to be worth it.

But it's Cache, man. Chapel mitigates the awfulness of it, but if you want a Chapel, you want those Coppers gone yesterday and now you have two more of them to clean up, at best you're losing a turn of pace, that Gold better be worth it, man. That Gold better be so much better, like super-way-mega-ultra better, than any other card costing $5 or less that you are willing to assume all of this risk and loss of pace to get it in your deck before you have it under control.

COuncilroom would seem to concur http://councilroom.com/openings?card=Cache

A better statistic to look at might be this: http://councilroom.com/openings?card=Chapel
63 single Kingdom cards (I didn't count Nomad Camp/Chapel/Fool's Gold, it requires quite a bit of stuff to happen and it made my calculations harder) had better openings, and this was pre-Dark Ages, so there were only like 157 total cards available. That means the odds of there being no better option than Cache to open with your Chapel are roughly ((157-63)/157)^8 = 1.7% (OK this is just an upper bound but it helps make my point). I doubt that you could really apply this statistic very well to an actual game of Dominion, though.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 07:58:46 am »
+2

Heh, it's eleven places below Farming Village/Chapel, and I'm hard pressed to come up with boards on which Farming Village/Chapel is going to be your best opening.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

thespaceinvader

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 07:59:29 am »
+1

Chapel is the best card to supplement Cache as an opening (at least, pre-closure-of-Iso) but it's no surprise to learn that Cache is a terrible card to supplement an opening Chapel...  I'm not suggesting Cache is a good card to open with, I'm saying if you draw 5/2 and you're thinking Cache is your best opening, Chapel is the other thing you want to open with.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 08:02:50 am »

Theoretically, cache is marginally better than a 5 coin masterpiece since it has higher variance (and you are less likely to get stuck with 7 coin hands in a province treasure game). In most practical situations, the other kingdom cards will make more difference with sifting, trashing, discarding, etc.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 08:08:48 am »

Heh, it's eleven places below Farming Village/Chapel, and I'm hard pressed to come up with boards on which Farming Village/Chapel is going to be your best opening.

It's also 22 places below Silver/Chapel, which is always available.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 08:47:05 am »

Chapel is the best card to supplement Cache as an opening (at least, pre-closure-of-Iso) but it's no surprise to learn that Cache is a terrible card to supplement an opening Chapel...  I'm not suggesting Cache is a good card to open with, I'm saying if you draw 5/2 and you're thinking Cache is your best opening, Chapel is the other thing you want to open with.

I'm not sure about that either, a lot of times when I want Cache, it's because I want the Coppers, I'd even consider getting Cache over Gold in those games. I'm thinking slogs. In this case, I certainly don't want Chapel.

EDIT: some thoughts I had.

I could see a Squire/Cache opening on some boards, like a Silk Road slog or something?

I could also see a Cache/Chapel opening being best on a board where Noble Brigand and money is the only thing going on, you might want to add in Village or something? Ehh, maybe not.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 09:07:44 am by AdamH »

thespaceinvader

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 09:39:13 am »

Squire/Cache would be a nice 5/2 opening on a Gardens board I think, but then you're getting into vanishingly unlikely 3-card combos...  Squire/Gardens on its own is pretty nice.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 09:43:44 am »

Maybe Beggar/Cache on a Gardens board?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2015, 09:47:14 am »
+2

I mean, on Gardens boards, I'd just open double Beggar or double Squire in these cases. That's why I said Silk Roads.

But yeah these are sort of unlikely. I'm just saying these are more likely than wanting to open Cache/Chapel, those two cards don't seem like they work well in the same deck in the turns following the opening, at least I have a hard time believing that you want to build and engine (hence the Chapel) and there's absolutely nothing better for $5 or less than Cache.

Meh, I don't really like talking about edge cases, they're always there and plenty of other people around here like to talk about them anyways.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2015, 05:39:54 pm »
+1

Something I haven't seen mentioned is that Masterpiece for $5 works much better than Cache with trash for benefit. With T4B you have a $3 you want to get rid of and two silvers which can often be upgraded to $5's, or just kept to be decent enough cards. With Cache, you have a $5 that's really a $6 and two coppers that generally do little more than get trashed by T4B.

It's not usually a huge thing (how often do you get Cache, Masterpiece and a relevant T4B card in the same game?), and obviously cards like Moneylender are a bit of an exception (if you count that as T4B anyway) but well I guess it's significant enough to mention?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 06:40:02 pm »

Well the obvious example would be with a Hunting party setup without other non-standard coin sources. Getting to $9 is good and you have very high odds of hitting $5 for the first three hands. You might even be able to skip the silver and just bank on getting a second copper in Hand with your Hparties.

Another option is for some odd Duke boards. Gold/copper/copper is pretty nice for getting a good string of $5 hands for mass duchy buys. It can also help if you are doing some high price Duke setup, like Goons/Duke or maybe Altar/Duke where high odds of hitting $6 is pretty nice. In like fashion, if you hit $5/$2 on a Gardens board, then Cache is pretty nice. Two bonus gains, you can still get some terminal gainer (E.g. B-crat) and have an easier shot spiking provinces or Duchies.

Courtyard/Haven/Herbalist(this is dicier, but I could see times where the gamble could pay out) can also play well when you need to hit high cash early (the most obvious case being fishing for $7 with Forge).

I might consider it as a defensive play if I'm P1, nothing else is good sub $6, and Noble brigand is out. Buying the Silver just has too high of odds of getting beat by a high odds Nbrig buy.

So, yeah, low odds with multiple cards (and generally poor boards as many other things are vastly more powerful like most curse givers, trashers, etc.), but not beyond the realm of reason.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 22 queries.