Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Masquerade big money against IGG rush?  (Read 2367 times)

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
Masquerade big money against IGG rush?
« on: July 05, 2015, 02:44:46 pm »

Code: [Select]
Herbalist, Pearl Diver, Fortune Teller, Masquerade, Trade Route, Horse Traders, Embassy, Highway, Ill-Gotten Gains, Venture
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20150705/log.54485813e4b0342f4922b1e1.1436121119419.txt

I got 5/2 here and my opponent got 4/3. It looked like strong big money options, but with no village around I thought IGG would be pretty strong and I didn't want to open embassy and give my opponent a free early silver in a big money game.

I was thinking masquerade would not counter IGG THAT well as you could just pick up your own masquerade on a sub 5 hand and pass curses back. So I open IGG/herbalist (probably the herbalist was worse than nothing. I thought it could put back IGGs, it ended up not being played much) and go mostly for IGG with one horse traders and two masqs.

My opponent on the other hand ignores IGG early and gets a few gold. Early on I'm ahead, then we are close for a long time, and in the late game he can province a few times to pull far enough ahead that I stand no chance of winning.

Was IGG just bad on this board? What should I have done here?
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
Re: Masquerade big money against IGG rush?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 03:03:48 pm »
+1

Maybe opening IGG is ok, but i would almost never bought more IGGs here.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 03:14:23 pm »
+3

i'd open masquerade/- on 5/2 here, but i can see an argument for igg/-, picking up masquerade on the next shuffle. i mean obviously you are sad to be 5/2 but this doesn't change the fundamental layout of the board. if my opponent buys any igg's i'll get a second masquerade; if not i'll probably get an embassy at some point; otherwise money and green. maybe a 2nd masquerade anyway instead of the embassy? dont know.

the thing is, cursing isn't very good in the face of masquerade (exceptions: lots, but especially mountebank is still quite good). it's not just that the opponent can pass you a curse; the passing is really almost a red herring. it's that the tempo you lose cursing them (spending a 5 money turn buying a silver-) is not made up for by the tempo they lose by having a curse in the deck (masquerade being extremely fast).

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 03:39:40 pm »
+1

Masquerade and IGG are very weak together. If you buy an igg you're basically gaining a fancy copper, giving your opponent a curse, then swapping the curses around when masquerades are played. If you gain coppers with your igg you just waste the trashing work done by the masquerade. IGGs might still be a better buy than silver here but it's irrelevant since they're worse buys than ventures.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 06:24:09 pm »
+2

IGG is one of my favorite cards to IGG-nore. If there's any decent trashing at all (Masquerade certainly fits the bill here) then almost all of the time you're better off just IGG-noring it.

On 5/2, well I would whine about it, but I certainly wouldn't open IGG. Masquerade/nothing is probably best; I'd consider Venture/nothing, but that doesn't seem as good.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 07:05:28 am »

Your opponent didn't even play it very well. His Horse Traders should have just been another Masquerade, maybe even a third is possible. Otherwise all he should get is more money, possibly Ventures on 5$ and maybe a late Trade Route.
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.