Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Alcoholics: A Reserve-heavy semi-jokey mini fan expansion  (Read 6188 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
Alcoholics: A Reserve-heavy semi-jokey mini fan expansion
« on: July 04, 2015, 03:31:45 am »
+3

EDIT 8/13/15: Mysterious Tankard, Drunken Master, and Drunk have been updated, and Roadhouse added to the OP.

Inclues the following cards:

Asper's Barkeep. (Since I have another Bartender in the set, I'd rename this 'Wealthy Barfly' for this silly mini-expansion.)

Fragasnap's Winery.

NoMoreFun's Tavern: (I can't find what thread this card is from, my list of fan card's just says it's by NoMoreFun.)
Tavern
Cost $3 - Action
+2 Actions, +2 Cards. Put a card from your hand on top of your deck. Put a card from your hand on the bottom of your deck.
(This and Illusionist are the only cards here that I've tested.)

Bartender
Cost $4 - Action
+1 Card. You may put any action card from your hand onto your tavern mat. If it isn't a reserve card, at the start of your turn, you may call that card for its usual on play action.

Happy Hour
Cost $3 - Action - Reserve
+1 Action.
Each other player may put a Reserve card from their hand onto their tavern mat. If they do, they draw a card. Put this on your tavern mat.
-
You may call this at the start of your turn to discard 2 cards, then draw 4.
Replaced by:
Roadhouse
Cost $5 - Action - Reserve
+1 Action, +$1, +1 Buy.
Put this on your tavern mat.
-
At the start of your turn, you may call this to discard 2 cards, then draw 3.

Illusionist
Cost $4 - Action - Reserve
+$2. Put this on your tavern mat.
-
Any time an action card considers the type of another card(s), you may call this to change the effective type of a card by adding a type or replacing the card's type. All of your copies of that card use the chosen type until the initial card is resolved.
(It isn't in Resergence and it's a reserve card, so why not include it here.)

Mysterious Tankard
Cost $2 - Action
The player to your left chooses an action card in the supply costing at least $2 that is not a Mysterious Tankard. Play this as the chosen card. This is that card until it leaves play.
-
When you gain this, trash a card from your hand.

Brewery
Cost $4 - Action
You may gain a card costing up to $4. If you didn't, or if you gained reserve card or a Mysterious Tankard, +$1.

House Spirit
Cost $6 - Treasure - Reserve
Worth $4.
When you play this, put it on your tavern mat.
-
At the start of your buy phase, you may call this for -half of your Buys (result rounded down).

Drunken Master
Cost $5 - Action - Attack - Reserve
+2 Cards.
Each other player gains a Drunk and discards a Drunk from their Tavern mat. Put this on your tavern mat.
-
Whenever you gain or draw a Drunk or Ruins, you may call this to play the Drunk or Ruins card at the start of your next turn.
Drunk
Cost $1* - Action - Reserve
-
At the start of your buy phase, if you have not alredy called a Drunk this turn, you may call this for +$1. (This is not in the supply)
(Use 6 Drunks per player in the game.)

That's 10 kingdom cards. Small expansions tend to have 13. Any suggestions?

Old versions:
Drunken Master
Cost $5 - Action - Attack
+2 Cards.
Each other player gains a Drunkard. You may gain a drunkard. Put this on your tavern mat.
-
When you have zero actions during your action phase, you may call this for +1 Action and -$1.
First, I took the -$1 off of the call effect, then it may as well be a lab with an attack for $5 which is bad, so I changed it up.
Drunk
-
When you play or call any reserve card, you may call this for +$1. At the end of your turn, if you have more than 2 drunks on your tavern mat, discard one of them. (This is not in the supply)
Putting this many words on a junk card is silly.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 12:34:03 am by LibraryAdventurer »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
Re: Alcoholics: A Reserve-heavy semi-jokey mini fan expansion
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 11:55:31 am »
+3

The round's on me!, Action-Attack, 4$
+2$
Each other player drinks a shot.

Oh wait, you mean serious ideas?

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 03:23:14 pm »
+1

The round's on me!, Action-Attack, 4$
+2$
Each other player drinks a shot.

Oh wait, you mean serious ideas?
serious or not, either way is cool. 
...But how do you gain coin by paying for other people's drinks?  Are you picking their pockets after they passed out or something?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 03:40:38 pm »
+2

...But how do you gain coin by paying for other people's drinks?  Are you picking their pockets after they passed out or something?

The same way you gain coins by giving them to a beggar.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 04:06:19 pm »

The same way you gain coins by giving them to a beggar.
I always imagined the beggar card as... well I was going to say something, but held back because it might be offensive.
So I'll just say, Go Spuds!

GeeJo

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 08:32:17 pm »
+1

Mysterious Tankard
Cost $3 - Action
The player to your left chooses an action card in the supply costing at least $2 that is not a Mysterious Tankard. Play this as the chosen card. This is that card until it leaves play.

I actually like this concept, but in practice I can't think of a time when I'd buy this over the worst other $2 or $3 in the Kingdom, since that's exactly what it's going to be every time it's played anyway.

One solution would be to reduce the price to $1, as it at least then presents a meaningful option in when to buy it or not. The alternative is clunkifying it with a "tankard token" or something, placed on actions when the opponent chooses them (and intermittently removed) to force them to make different decisions each time. *Or* it might be interesting not as a kingdom card but as a non-supply pile that's handed out as a penalty with a slightly above-par card.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 08:35:52 pm by GeeJo »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 03:00:47 am »

I'm actually thinking about printing & playing with these cards now.

I've added an on-gain effect to Mysterious Tankard:
Mysterious Tankard
Cost $2 - Action
-
I can't decide if this is still weak enough to cost $2 or if I should put it back to $3.

I've also decided that Happy Hour is not worth using, so I've replaced it with this market variant:
Roadhouse
Cost $5 - Action - Reserve
+1 Action, +$1, +1 Buy.
-
At the start of your turn, you may call this to discard 2 cards, then draw 3.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 10:00:04 am »
+1

I've added an on-gain effect to Mysterious Tankard:
Mysterious Tankard
Cost $2 - Action
-
I can't decide if this is still weak enough to cost $2 or if I should put it back to $3.

Mysterious Tankard is still terribly weak. Any cards where another player makes a choice for you tend to be A LOT worse than if you made the choice yourself. That's why Advisor, Envoy, Contraband etc. have such huge effects; they are considerably weakened by that choice. The lower cost limit for MT could easily be $3 or $4.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 01:22:07 pm »

Mysterious Tankard is still terribly weak. Any cards where another player makes a choice for you tend to be A LOT worse than if you made the choice yourself. That's why Advisor, Envoy, Contraband etc. have such huge effects; they are considerably weakened by that choice. The lower cost limit for MT could easily be $3 or $4.
That sounds like a good idea. I'll make it "costing at least $3". Now it seems more like a card you might actually want.

*The strength of this card depends partly on how you choose your kingdoms. If you choose randomly from all cards, you might have useless cards on the board more often making this a weak card. But I don't choose completely randomly.

Zappie

• Thief
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 05:46:07 am »

but without any on gain effect there is still no reason to buy drunkenT ever right?

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 12:32:35 am »

So I actually decided to play with some of these. Roadhouse and Mysterious Tankard are actually pretty nice cards, though I wonder if Roadhouse could use to be slightly stronger.

On the other hand, the original versions of Drunken Master and Drunk were not good. So here are new versions:
Drunken Master
Cost $5 - Action - Attack - Reserve
+2 Cards.
Each other player gains a Drunk and discards a Drunk from their Tavern mat. Put this on your tavern mat.
-
Whenever you gain or draw a Drunk or Ruins, you may call this to play the Drunk or Ruins card at the start of your next turn.
Drunk
-
At the start of your buy phase, if you have not alredy called a Drunk this turn, you may call this for +$1. (This is not in the supply)

Also, I decided the set needs a trasher:
Barroom Dare
Cost $3 - Action
Reveal the top four cards of your deck. You may trash up to two of them. If you trash 2 cards this way, put the other revealed cards in your hand. If you trash less than 2, discard a revealed action card. If you don't trash any cards this way, take your -1 card token.
Nah. that's more of a joke card, not much good. Still, if I have a junker in the set, it should probably also have a trasher...

EDIT: oh, I got another thematic trasher idea:
Insurance Fraud Fire
Cost $3 - Action - Reserve
Put this on your tavern mat
-
At the start of your turn, you may call this to trash this and all but one card in your hand. When you call this, each other player may reveal an undercover cop, if they do, they gain a spoils. If no one does, +$3.  Setup: Designate a supply pile costing $5 as undercover cop cards.
(I'm aware that this should technically have two dividing lines, but I'm not taking this mini expansion very seriously anyway...  I'd be fine printing it out without the Setup text, and have the Setup as card FAQ.)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 01:30:31 am by LibraryAdventurer »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 06:16:11 am »
+1

EDIT 8/13/15: Mysterious Tankard, Drunken Master, and Drunk have been updated, and Roadhouse added to the OP.

Inclues the following cards:
NoMoreFun's Tavern: (I can't find what thread this card is from, my list of fan card's just says it's by NoMoreFun.)
Tavern
Cost $3 - Action
+2 Actions, +2 Cards. Put a card from your hand on top of your deck. Put a card from your hand on the bottom of your deck.

It's an outtake from Pandemonium, because I thought it was too slow to resolve for a village. I'm glad you like it; maybe it will make a comeback.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.