Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A Reserve card with an alternate trigger a la Wine Merchant  (Read 1270 times)

jpople02

• Steward
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
+2

So I don't know what the thematic justification for this would be, but I thought of it today when thinking of mechanics for Reserve cards that weren't explored in Adventures.  I'm not married to the name, or the particular set of vanilla bonuses; it's more about the calling trigger.

Bard - $6 - Action/Reserve

+1 card
+1 action
+$2

Put this on your Tavern mat.

---

When you buy a Copper, you may discard this from your Tavern mat.

horatio83

• Baron
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
Re: A Reserve card with an alternate trigger a la Wine Merchant
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 03:52:47 am »

I like it. I guess you couldn't do Lab-variants with this calling trigger as it would mitigate the copper spam but a Double Peddler / Grand Market sans buy seems fine with it.
My hunch is though that the calling trigger is worth a little bit less than -1, i.e. a card which would be balanced at 7 without the reserve mechanism is overpowered at 6. But this is just a hunch and in a deck without any trashers or cards that interact with copper it might be fairly priced or even a bit weak for 6.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 10:15:14 am »
+1

I feel like the card needs to include a buy, whatever else it has. Without a buy, the trigger is extremely painful to pull. Not only do you have to clog your deck with a Copper, but you have to give up buying anything else. Adding a buy makes it more likely that you are only doing the clogging part.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 10:15:48 am »

It also seems a bit expensive as is.

I think the best use for these kinds of triggers is that, since they're a penalty, they should be antagonistic to the intended use of the card.  Wine Merchant gives you a lot of ; if you want to use it again, you have to spend some of that .  I came up with this card a couple weeks back:

Crone
- Action-Attack-Reserve

+2 Cards
+1 Buy

Put this on your Tavern mat, and each other player gains a Curse.
-------------------------------------
At the end of your Buy phase, if you did not buy anything that turn, you may discard this from your Tavern mat.

So it's a Curser with a +Buy, which would encourage you to buy extra things, but you only get the Curser back if you don't buy anything.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 10:20:24 am by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 12:32:04 pm »

It also seems a bit expensive as is.

I think the best use for these kinds of triggers is that, since they're a penalty, they should be antagonistic to the intended use of the card.  Wine Merchant gives you a lot of ; if you want to use it again, you have to spend some of that .  I came up with this card a couple weeks back:

Crone
- Action-Attack-Reserve

+2 Cards
+1 Buy

Put this on your Tavern mat, and each other player gains a Curse.
-------------------------------------
At the end of your Buy phase, if you did not buy anything that turn, you may discard this from your Tavern mat.

So it's a Curser with a +Buy, which would encourage you to buy extra things, but you only get the Curser back if you don't buy anything.

I don't think this works. Having an extra buy doesn't make you more likely to buy at least 1 card. If someone has 3-6 to spend, they'll probably buy either only 1 card anyway, or not buy to get the curser back. If they have more to spend, then they aren't going to be more tempted to buy a card instead of nothing just because they have an extra buy. If you want to "tempt" people to buy a card, then you should give them money, not a buy.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 20 queries.