Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tutor Dominion at U-Con?  (Read 7034 times)

Elestan

• Witch
  • Respect: +428
    • View Profile
Tutor Dominion at U-Con?
« on: July 04, 2015, 01:54:13 am »
+3

I'm trying to expand the Dominion presence at the U-Con gaming convention this fall.  Would anyone be interested in running some events there?  Some basic/advanced tutorials before the tournament would be great, but running recap/rematch games on Saturday night/Sunday would also work.  If you can do 6 hours worth over the course of the convention, you can get your badge refunded.

U-Con this year is November 20-22, at the Marriott Eagle Crest in Ypsilanti, MI (same place as last year).  The World Masters qualifier has not yet been scheduled, but will probably be the afternoon of November 21 (Saturday).

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Re: Tutor Dominion at U-Con?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 09:38:32 am »

I should be able to make it this year, I'd be interesting in tutoring. Would this be the day before the tournament?
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 10:17:46 am »

Alas, by the time UCon rolls around, we'll be in Seattle.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Elestan

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 11:24:33 am »
+1

I should be able to make it this year, I'd be interesting in tutoring. Would this be the day before the tournament?
Sometime before the tournament would be ideal, which (assuming I still get Saturday afternoon) means either Friday sometime, or Saturday morning.  The convention hotel discount rate is good for Thursday night if you wanted to arrive then.

The gamemaster information page is at https://www.ucon-gaming.org/participation/gamemasters; there's a link from there to the online registration form to get a gamemaster badge.  Three two-hour sessions would get you the badge refund, and they don't all have to be tutorials; you could just play games with your cards.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 04:39:50 pm »
+1

Awesome. This is something I'm probably interested in doing. I won't be able to take a serious look at it for a while though, as this falls under the "things that happen after getting married" label, and it's very likely I won't be able to really do much about it until August.

Is there some kind of deadline for getting these things scheduled? I didn't see anything like that on the website. I'll probably know what's going on some time in August, hopefully, and I can plan for this.

Elestan

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 10:55:36 pm »
+1

Is there some kind of deadline for getting these things scheduled? I didn't see anything like that on the website. I'll probably know what's going on some time in August, hopefully, and I can plan for this.
The cutoff hasn't been set yet, but IIRC it's usually in September, so August should be fine.  All you'll really need to do is give a description of the event(s) you want to run (for the web site and convention book), and note any scheduling concerns (like, put the tutorials prior to the tournament, and don't schedule your events during the tournament).

And if anyone else wants to run Dominion at the convention, feel free to register your own events!  I'd love to have at least one game of Dominion available for people to play in anytime during the con.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 05:02:12 pm »
+1

Well then, it's about time I started actually planning for this. I'm going to try and make this happen, but I have a few questions, maybe people here can answer? Maybe not.

1. If possible, I'd sort of like to do 2P Dominion. Do you think I would run into any resistance if I said 2P games only for my sessions?

2. I'll be bringing my set, which can support up to 6 people at once if we do 2P games, and 9 people if we do 3P games. If we need to accommodate more people, then I'll need more sets of base cards and using sleeves becomes a little more tricky. Will this be an issue? Would it be better if I just say "my event can only support up to this many people" or to say "I'll need materials if I want to go over X people"?

3. Do you think a strategy tutorial would be more popular, or should I just teach and play the game? Or do I even get that option? Would it just be "Dominion with Adam, a really good player who can help you improve no matter what your skill", or "hey come learn to play Dominion, Adam will teach you the rules and guide you through a game"? If I get a choice, I'd prefer to not be teaching mechanics the whole time and actually get into some interesting strategic concepts, but do I even get that choice?

These questions are probably really silly to ask, and easy to answer for anyone who's ever been to a convention, but the entirety of my formal convention experience consists of going to U-Con for the Dominion tournament only, twice.

Elestan

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 03:23:06 am »
+1

1. If possible, I'd sort of like to do 2P Dominion. Do you think I would run into any resistance if I said 2P games only for my sessions?
Well, for the pre-tournament tutorial, my preference would be for 3-player, to prepare people for the tournament.  That said, it's your event, so you can run it however you like.  You could adapt on the fly, based on what the people who show up want to do; you could get a family looking to learn the game, or a set of cutthroat MtG players looking to duel each other.

2. I'll be bringing my set, which can support up to 6 people at once if we do 2P games, and 9 people if we do 3P games. If we need to accommodate more people, then I'll need more sets of base cards and using sleeves becomes a little more tricky. Will this be an issue? Would it be better if I just say "my event can only support up to this many people" or to say "I'll need materials if I want to go over X people"?
When you register your event, you can list a maximum and minimum number of players.

3. Do you think a strategy tutorial would be more popular, or should I just teach and play the game? Or do I even get that option? Would it just be "Dominion with Adam, a really good player who can help you improve no matter what your skill", or "hey come learn to play Dominion, Adam will teach you the rules and guide you through a game"? If I get a choice, I'd prefer to not be teaching mechanics the whole time and actually get into some interesting strategic concepts, but do I even get that choice?
You do; it's your event, and you can run it as you please; you'll be submitting your own description for it when you register.  My suggestion would be to register three events, each taking one slot (about 2 hrs); this adds up to the 6 hours of game-running needed to qualify to get your badge refund:

1) "Introduction to Dominion" - On Friday, for rank newbies, maybe with the "First Game" Kingdom. 
2) "Advanced Dominion Strategy" - Friday night or Saturday morning; assume you've got veteran players, and can go deep strategy. 
3) "Tournament Redux" - Sunday; you let people play (or replay) the tournament sets, to give them the chance to try any they didn't get to see, or to test their strategies against each other.

One note from experience:  There's a fair chance that you could get a table with large experience disparities between the players.  In such situations, I usually handicap the stronger players by swapping out some number of Coppers for Curses in their starting decks.  One is a mild handicap, two a strong handicap, and three a severe one.  When I'm filling a seat in a teaching game with newbies, I usually take a three-curse-swap handicap, just to make sure I don't win.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 10:16:13 pm »
+1

All right, I've filled out the gamemasters form on their website. Hopefully I hear from someone at some point and we can get the details ironed out and maybe this will actually work!

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 05:44:12 pm »

the category of "things happening after getting married"
Adam isn't married yet?
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 05:47:48 pm »

the category of "things happening after getting married"
Adam isn't married yet?

I got married a week after that post :P

In other news, it's been totally silent on their end after the single, very helpful E-mail from their event coordinator. I'm not really sure what to do. I might just try filling out another application but they don't seem interested in me anymore (despite having seemed very interested)

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 08:40:07 am »
+4

Looks like this thing is actually happening for me: I'll be running three Dominion events at U-Con.

Saturday 9-11AM - Beginner session, teaching the game and basic strategy
Saturday 11AM-1PM - Advanced session, play games and advanced strategy discussion
Sunday 9-11AM - Beginner session, play and discuss kingdoms from the tournament

I imagine most people reading this will be interested in the advanced session.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 10:36:37 am »
+3

Ypsilanti is closer than Ann Arbor to me (in Detroit). I am sure I will be able to come out.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Elestan

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 11:58:04 pm »
+1

Sunday 9-11AM - Beginner session, play and discuss kingdoms from the tournament

I would expect that the tournament recap would be more intermediate-to-advanced level.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.