Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18  All

Author Topic: The Grand Tournament Discussion  (Read 102099 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: The Grand Tournament Discussion
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2015, 08:49:48 pm »

I think Coliseum Manager will do fine in Control Warrior.  I'd run 3 cost 2/5 that said, "when you play this, take 2 damage", and I doubt Coliseum Manager will be worse than that super often, and if it is, I'm not sure Coliseum Manager is what was wrong with your deck.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2015, 08:54:24 pm »

I'm failing to see how these effects are comparable.
EDIT: Ok. I see it now. You take two damge if it makes you not use your hero power once.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 11:19:37 am by Watno »

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2015, 09:05:36 pm »
+1

I think the parallel is that Coliseum Manager in the worst case will prevent you from using your Hero Power once, which is like taking two damage.

Anyway, new card:

Flame Juggler
2 mana 2/3
Battlecry: Deal 1 damage to a random enemy.

Not the most exciting card; it's comparable to Knife Juggler, probably better turns 1-3 but worse afterwards. Really great against 1-drops like Leper Gnome, and solid in Arena. Also, via Reddit:

I hadn't thought about that. Isn't this the first two drop in the game that has a chance to trade with shielded minibot and survive?

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2015, 09:39:56 pm »

I think the parallel is that Coliseum Manager in the worst case will prevent you from using your Hero Power once, which is like taking two damage.

Anyway, new card:

Flame Juggler
2 mana 2/3
Battlecry: Deal 1 damage to a random enemy.

Not the most exciting card; it's comparable to Knife Juggler, probably better turns 1-3 but worse afterwards. Really great against 1-drops like Leper Gnome, and solid in Arena. Also, via Reddit:

I hadn't thought about that. Isn't this the first two drop in the game that has a chance to trade with shielded minibot and survive?

On the list of generic stand-alone 2-drop body slot for Priest, this one seems pretty high up in terms of desirability.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2015, 10:23:13 am »

Is it a random enemy, or a random minion? If it's a minion then it's decent, if it's an enemy then it's kind of bad.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2015, 10:33:32 am »

Is it a random enemy, or a random minion? If it's a minion then it's decent, if it's an enemy then it's kind of bad.
... Random enemy :(. Doesn't necessarily beat Mad Bomber in the role of killing 1-drops Turn 2.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2015, 10:51:00 am »

... Random enemy :(. Doesn't necessarily beat Mad Bomber in the role of killing 1-drops Turn 2.

Is that the correct translation? Because there was already a mistranslation on King's Defender. So I just want to be sure.

King's Defender only gains 1 durability if you have a minion with taunt. Not 1 for every minion with taunt.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2015, 11:00:32 am »

Looking at the original text, im pretty sure "imigo aleatorio" is random enemy.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2015, 12:53:14 pm »

Two more new cards via IGN

Savage Combatant
4 mana
Druid Beast Minion
5/4
Inspire: Give your hero +2 attack this turn.

This doesn't have amazing stats, but it's straight up better than a 5/4 4 mana vanilla Kodo. Dunno if this will make Druid Beast viable. I'd suspect not, but it's interesting. Probably will turn up relatively regularly in Arena though as the stats are definitely good enough to draft.

Clockwork Knight
5 mana
Neutral Mech Minion
5/5
Battlecry: +1/+1 to a friendly Mech.

This seems playable. The stats are good enough to play in Arena without the battlecry and the +1/+1 effectively makes it a 6/6 in a Constructed Mech deck. Gives some options to put in the 5 drop spot for Mech decks. The only Mech currently run in this slot in Constructed decks is Antique Healbot, but this card is more aggressive than Healbot so I expect it to turn up in some Mech Mage decks instead of Healbot and it might make some other classes Mech decks more viable.

Edit: Now that I look at it most Mech Mages don't run Healbot, usually running Drakes and Loatheb in the 5 spot. Clockwork Knight gives them another choice. Not sure if it's good enough to replace a Drake or Loatheb though. Possibly?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:01:16 pm by Jorbles »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2015, 01:04:31 pm »

Flame Juggler seems really really great in Arena. Not sure if I'd play it Constructed.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2015, 02:23:37 pm »

Fel Reaver is a good 5 drop for Mech decks if BGH is unpopular (which it is now).

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2015, 04:57:36 pm »

Clockwork knight seems a bit slow for aggresive decks no? I mean, it's only a 5/5, yeah it gives +1/1 but aggressive mech decks can do so much better.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2015, 05:16:27 pm »
+1

2 new legends.

3 mana 3/4

When you target this minion with a spell, gain divine shield

3 mana 3/4

When you target this minion with a spell deal 3 damage to a random enemy.

First one seem not great, second one seem really good. Power word shield, or pally buffs can kill so many 1 and 2 drops, and it's body is already good for 3 mana.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2015, 06:11:19 pm »

2 new legends.

3 mana 3/4

When you target this minion with a spell, gain divine shield

3 mana 3/4

When you target this minion with a spell deal 3 damage to a random enemy.

First one seem not great, second one seem really good. Power word shield, or pally buffs can kill so many 1 and 2 drops, and it's body is already good for 3 mana.
Ah, finally some power creep.

They tie in well with the Drakonkin Sorceror at 4 mana, so the synergy possible through building a deck with friendly target spells isn't limited to these 2 cards.

@ Savage Combatant
Well, there goes Lost Tallstrider's only potential niche as a 4-drop beast for Druid. This card could be solid.

@ Clockwork Knight
At least it's a mech, so it can come in early with Mechwarper. Still, a 5 mana body with a so-so ability isn't exactly what current mech decks are looking for. I think this card is overshadowed by almost all of the class-specific Mech-synergy cards, including Upgraded Repair Bot and Metaltooth Leaper.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2015, 07:07:28 pm »

I'll be trying the new mech in a mech warrior :P Not because it's amazing, but you can curve very well with skrejank clunker.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2015, 07:34:54 pm »

I'll be trying the new mech in a mech warrior :P Not because it's amazing, but you can curve very well with skrejank clunker.
It would be cool if it instead had an effect like "discard a random Mech and do X damage". That's more in line with the Tempo nature of Mech decks.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2015, 10:54:59 pm »

There appears to be another card reveal: Silent Knight

https://twitter.com/TrumpSC/status/626554004693106688/photo/1

3 Mana Neutral Minion
2/2
Stealth and Divine Shield

Tougher to remove than even Gilblin Stalker while stealthed, and the next turn it can be buffed to make a really good trade. This is one of those cards that, even if it's not high tier, will open up combo possibilities.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2015, 12:29:20 am »

There appears to be another card reveal: Silent Knight

https://twitter.com/TrumpSC/status/626554004693106688/photo/1

3 Mana Neutral Minion
2/2
Stealth and Divine Shield

Tougher to remove than even Gilblin Stalker while stealthed, and the next turn it can be buffed to make a really good trade. This is one of those cards that, even if it's not high tier, will open up combo possibilities.

Hm, at 3 mana I think it's iffy, but there's no other cost for it. Other stealth minions have combo possibilities, but T3 this guy T4 Blessing of Kings for example can give you a ridiculous trade. I don't think it's good enough unless you have buffing spells though, compares unfavorably to a 3 mana 3/4.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2015, 10:09:39 pm »

Silent Knight is the new best option for any deck that wants to stack buffs on a single target until they get silly.  It also provides redundancy for that type of thing. 
Shaman is probably the best home.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 10:14:20 pm by popsofctown »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2015, 11:35:09 pm »

Silent Knight is the new best option for any deck that wants to stack buffs on a single target until they get silly.  It also provides redundancy for that type of thing. 

What buffs can Shaman stack on a single minion?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 31, 2015, 12:44:18 am »

Over the course of a game you could do some sweet Inner Fire instagib combos with a Priest deck.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2015, 09:29:30 am »

What buffs can Shaman stack on a single minion?
Like, turn five, Rockbiter, Windfury, Ancestral Spirit, kill a yeti kill a yeti get another Silent Knight.

Most important point being Ancestral Spirit, it's the best buff spell in the game.  The Injured Blade master trick is sick, just putting it on a piloted shredder and trading is sick, and when you get into matchups that you know don't have a silence or polymorph than putting it on Sludge Belcher or EE can just stop aggro forever.  If Silent Knight is useful at all (not necessarily the case), it's in an Ancestral Spirit deck where Silent Knight is a place you can throw Ancestral Spirit and get some effect out of it even in situations where your board is getting wiped every turn.  He's not the ideal target for the Spirit, but most of the really awesome ones don't have tons of health so it's a safety net.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2015, 05:29:27 pm »

So a new card has been revealed for Warlock:

Demonfuse
2 - Mana Spell

Give a demon +3/+3. Give your opponent a Mana Crystal.

So, I had just started playing around with a Demonlock deck that uses Demonfire and it happens to still win games to get me to Rank 4. There's not enough time left in the season to try to get higher than that. This makes me kind of excited to try out this card.

So anyway Demonfire is inferior to Dark Bomb when it comes to damage, but it's flexibility in being able to buff the health of your friendly demons that are about to trade is quite nice. Mistress of Pain becomes quite helpful when it's been buffed by Demonfire and of course so is Imp Gang Boss. A bigger buff for the same mana has got to be even better right, even though it can't do direct damage?

I don't know how I feel about this card's drawback though. If you want tempo advantage right now or lots of immediate face damage, there's already Arcane Golem with the same effect. Demonfire is more suited for a board control swing, but the extra mana crystal is a problem if you're leaning in that direction because those Sludge Belcher's can come out sooner.

Any other thoughts here?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2015, 06:18:30 pm »

It doesn't seem as good as Demonfire tbh. Demonfire can be used when you have no board presence, but this card is useless. It's like Rampage, but with a huge drawback.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2015, 06:23:29 pm »

I guess you could feasibly use it to do some big buff and kill someone when mana barely matters anymore in a demon themed zoo deck. Like Arcane Golem or Power Overwhelming but with really a specific requirement.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18  All

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.