Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18  All

Author Topic: The Grand Tournament Discussion  (Read 102087 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
Re: The Grand Tournament Discussion
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2015, 06:47:12 pm »
+1

"Beginning with the launch of The Grand Tournament, the Arena will no longer award players only Goblins vs Gnomes card packs. Instead, players will have a chance to receive a Grand Tournament card pack, Goblins vs Gnomes card pack, or a Classic card pack whenever a pack is awarded."

FINALLY.

If Blizzard had announced only this change with no expansion, I'd still be happy.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2015, 06:55:24 pm »

I know right? I play a lot of Arena and now have way more GVG cards than Classic.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2015, 06:57:44 pm »
+1

Well, it also means that you only have a 1/3 chance to get a pack from the enw expansion, which kinda sucks if you have most old cards already.

New expansion looks nice though.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2015, 07:12:02 pm »

Well, it also means that you only have a 1/3 chance to get a pack from the enw expansion, which kinda sucks if you have most old cards already.

I interpreted as it would be your choice, not random.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2015, 07:16:31 pm »

Could go either way, but I'd be more inclined to think it's random as that seems to be Blizzards favourite way to do things. Unless you're playing Druid, then you get to choose.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2015, 07:16:44 pm »

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2015, 07:30:03 pm »

"Beginning with the launch of The Grand Tournament, the Arena will no longer award players only Goblins vs Gnomes card packs. Instead, players will have a chance to receive a Grand Tournament card pack, Goblins vs Gnomes card pack, or a Classic card pack whenever a pack is awarded."

FINALLY.

If Blizzard had announced only this change with no expansion, I'd still be happy.
Indeed. I'm still short on those epic giants from classic. Can't run Handlock with my currently collection even if I wanted to. Plus I already got most of the good stuff from GvG.

The only reason I can think of for why we were stuck only getting GvG cards from Arena in the first place is because they didn't want to put in the coding effort or didn't want to clutter the interface. Now they don't have much of a choice to fix that with the new expansion.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2015, 07:30:17 pm »

This image (screenshot from the stream):

Is probably a thing. I just noticed it's all new art so it's possibly new Legendaries with their Vanilla stats teased. (I doubt they are all new Warlock Legendaries).

How bad would a 2/4 have to be to cost 1 mana?

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2015, 07:40:36 pm »

FINALLY.

Indeed. I'm still short on those epic giants from classic. Can't run Handlock with my currently collection even if I wanted to. Plus I already got most of the good stuff from GvG.

The only reason I can think of for why we were stuck only getting GvG cards from Arena in the first place is because they didn't want to put in the coding effort or didn't want to clutter the interface. Now they don't have much of a choice to fix that with the new expansion.

On a second read, you probably get the pack randomly. Blizzard has said before that keeping the interface is a top priority, which is why we're still missing extra deck slots. Making a new interface to choose the pack you get is one more dialog box to get through before you get back to the game, so odds are you don't get to choose. (Although if it's changed to be random, I'm not sure why it stayed low priority for so long, since they don't need to make any new UI.)

I still prefer pure random over only getting the most recent expansion.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2015, 07:53:30 pm »

FINALLY.

On a second read, you probably get the pack randomly. Blizzard has said before that keeping the interface is a top priority, which is why we're still missing extra deck slots. Making a new interface to choose the pack you get is one more dialog box to get through before you get back to the game, so odds are you don't get to choose. (Although if it's changed to be random, I'm not sure why it stayed low priority for so long, since they don't need to make any new UI.)

I still prefer pure random over only getting the most recent expansion.
When the choice was only between GvG and the base set, they didn't want people to feel ripped off by Arena. Now they'd feel ripped off if they're only limited to one of the 100+ card pack types.

So they were clearly trying to buff totems for Shaman so that Shaman can properly benefit from the hero power mechanics of this expansion. I'm really curious how they'll do this for Rogue. Spamming the Rogue hero power anti-synergizes with many of the Rogue's better cards. I'm expecting a Rogue card that either buffs the Hero power in some way or changes the way it works altogether (for example by making it affect the equipped weapon's attack and/or durability).

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2015, 07:59:50 pm »

Oh my god guys the Coldarra Drake / Majordomo Executus combo
Yikes, and Mage was already trying to make Majordomo work with Ice Block and Ice Barrier.
Actually, we haven't received confirmation on whether or not Coldarra only works on the Mage hero power like Hunter's Sniper. It's reasonable to believe Coldarra will only work on the Mage's base hero power (Fire Blast).

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2015, 09:42:09 pm »

How bad would a 2/4 have to be to cost 1 mana?
I believe the last time we had a trailer like this, only the card images were accurate, not their classes, rarities, or stats. Don't quote me on that though.

The drawback wouldn't have to be that bad, we already have Zombie Chow after all.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2015, 10:28:15 pm »

Ew. It is random. That sucks.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2015, 11:05:41 pm »

Ball of Spiders is hilariously bad. On the flip side, all the shaman cards look amazing if the meta slows down.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2015, 11:31:28 pm »

Ball of Spiders is hilariously bad. On the flip side, all the shaman cards look amazing if the meta slows down.
Not the worst thing in Arena though.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2015, 09:58:32 am »

Ew. It is random. That sucks.

The more I think about it, the more I hate it. In the long run it makes getting all your cards via arena absolutely nonviable. With the current system of only getting the latest expansion, you might miss some by starting later, or not playing when the xpansion is active. With the new system, getting cards from a set you don't already have most of will converge to zero.

Blizzard may claim that not being able to choose is to keep the interface simpler, but a far more likely reason is that they want everyone to pay real money for the new cards.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2015, 11:24:56 am »
+1

They should just give a Pack Token that you can redeem for a pack of your choice. I'm not sure how making it random is better than that.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2015, 11:46:19 am »
+2

They should just give a Pack Token that you can redeem for a pack of your choice. I'm not sure how making it random is better than that.

$$$$$$$

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2015, 12:10:36 pm »

$$$$$$$

Well yeah :P But I just meant for the game. Obviously its a way to get more money.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2015, 12:31:29 pm »
+2

Grand Tournament
$5 - Action

+1 Action
Each player may reveal a Province from his hand.
If you do, discard it and gain a Prize (from the Prize pile) or  a Duchy, putting it on top of your deck.   
If no one else does, +1 Card, +$1, +1 Buy, and take a Coin token.

------------------------
You can't buy this if you have any Copper in play.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2015, 12:47:21 pm »

The more I think about it, the more I hate it. In the long run it makes getting all your cards via arena absolutely nonviable. With the current system of only getting the latest expansion, you might miss some by starting later, or not playing when the xpansion is active. With the new system, getting cards from a set you don't already have most of will converge to zero.

Blizzard may claim that not being able to choose is to keep the interface simpler, but a far more likely reason is that they want everyone to pay real money for the new cards.

Aren't you contradicting your position here? It's nonviable to get all cards via arena right now, unless you get all cards in an expansion before it goes out of the arena rotation. The vast majority of people do not have complete Classic collections from arena. This is a system that's better for newer players. Sure, there exist ones that are better for everybody, but Blizzard aren't implementing them.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2015, 01:38:13 pm »

Players still get classic packs from tavern brawl and "spectate a game" quests, though. It's not like they're completely out of circulation.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2015, 01:43:49 pm »
+1

New players will get cards they don't already have from any kind of pack. So the only people this is better for are new players who play insane amounts, and it's only better for them until the next expansion releases.
Note that it's also probably better to have lots of cards from the same set instead some from every set due to increased synergies, and cards from the newest set for power creep reasons.

New legendary improving hero powers revealed here btw: http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/19819221/the-grand-tournament-hero-powers-7-23-2015

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2015, 01:49:18 pm »
+1

I wonder how they'll implement the upgraded Shaman power without a confusing interface though :P

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2015, 01:56:54 pm »

Why those stats? It seems best in face hunter because of the high attack, and the crazy hero power. The others don't really do enough for the crap stats and the hero power becomes only slightly better.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18  All

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 21 queries.