Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18  All

Author Topic: The Grand Tournament Discussion  (Read 102154 times)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
Re: The Grand Tournament Discussion
« Reply #400 on: September 01, 2015, 01:32:00 pm »

Yeah, maybe Silver Hand Regents would be better here? If you expect to hero power a lot the free dude is nice and they have the same body as the Dragonhawk Rider.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 01, 2015, 01:51:47 pm »

I have found that the Rider draws fire when I play him, for sure.  When I proc windfury, it's usually able to trade 2 for 1 or face + trade.

I guess he's not a sticky control type minion, but I try to sprinkle some taunt and pseudo taunt and he plays like that in the early game.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 01, 2015, 02:03:23 pm »

I will say, there's something satisfying about having Fallen Hero x2 out, then dropping Justicar on turn 8, using hero power to ping Azure Drake and proccing all your inspire minions.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 01, 2015, 02:05:51 pm »

I will say, there's something satisfying about having Fallen Hero x2 out, then dropping Justicar on turn 8, using hero power to ping Azure Drake and proccing all your inspire minions.

Now I want to shove a bunch of Faceless Manipulators/Duplicates/Echoes of Medivh into a Fallen Hero deck and get seven of them on the board.  DIE INSECT!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 01, 2015, 02:45:24 pm »

Now I want to shove a bunch of Faceless Manipulators/Duplicates/Echoes of Medivh into a Fallen Hero deck and get seven of them on the board.  DIE INSECT!
You have to close your eyes when you target the hero power for the replica to be perfect, though.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: September 01, 2015, 11:47:38 pm »

These secret Paladins man. I beat an aggro variant as a Dragon Priest, but I needed most of my removal to do so. Auchenai + circle to kill double Secret Keeper on Turn 4. SW:D on the first Mysterious Challenger. Lightbomb to kill a full board from Knife Juggler + Muster (didn't have Pyromancer handy at the time) thereby preventing a massive competitive spirit proc. Finally a lucky Chillmaw at the end that only activated thanks to a topdecked Twilight Whelp (only card in my hand) let me beat the second MC. Because of MC and big Divine Favor draws, my opponent reached fatigue when I had like 12 cards left in my deck. I think I would have lost if I hadn't played Justicar in addition to all that other stuff.

Crazy stuff. Their early game is too good to really punish them for having secrets in their deck. It really looks like you have to exhaust their resources. Luckily Dragon Priest is pretty good at establishing early game dominance with some of the new cards.

Still, it's so nice to ladder with Dragon Priest because it can be designed to be massively favourable against most Hunter decks.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 02, 2015, 12:17:38 pm »

Tentatively I think Secrets Paladin is pretty well designed.  It can do good things, but you can also tech against it without needing to put a card in your deck that is super awful in other matchups.  Taunt does pretty well, for instance, no secret will proc because your opponent is ramming your taunt minions (Well, Repentance can get you, but you get my point.)

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 02, 2015, 02:28:13 pm »

Tentatively I think Secrets Paladin is pretty well designed.  It can do good things, but you can also tech against it without needing to put a card in your deck that is super awful in other matchups.  Taunt does pretty well, for instance, no secret will proc because your opponent is ramming your taunt minions (Well, Repentance can get you, but you get my point.)
Taunts are helpful in that they buy time for you to come up with the best way to play around the secrets. They'll be able to break through a couple of the taunts efficiently with Owl and maybe Blessing of Might though. Competitive Spirit complicates things because you play around that by leaving a token or two to deny large value from it, but this goes against denying Paladins targets for their other buff abilities.

It's a strong deck that at least has clear weaknesses. What makes it so strong is that the strengths of the deck are quite dramatic when they surface. Definitely good enough to warrant adequate preparation for it.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 05, 2015, 03:58:44 pm »

Just opened my first legendary of the set: Varian Wrynn!

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 06, 2015, 04:46:46 am »

Just opened my first legendary of the set: Varian Wrynn!

I'm not sure what to think about Varian Wrynn.  It's not clear that Control Warrior needs such a big swing on the board, and you can lose a lot of value by skipping Battlecries.  I haven't played with it though.

I opened a golden Darkbane and two Fizzlebangs...

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #410 on: September 06, 2015, 05:13:54 am »
+1

I'm not sure what to think about Varian Wrynn.  It's not clear that Control Warrior needs such a big swing on the board, and you can lose a lot of value by skipping Battlecries.  I haven't played with it though.

I have and it's great. Skipping Battlecries isn't a huge problem really, you're still getting the cards and cards are good.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 06, 2015, 06:14:16 am »

I have and it's great. Skipping Battlecries isn't a huge problem really, you're still getting the cards and cards are good.

You're probably right.  You're not really losing anything unless the game goes to fatigue, and Warrior is probably winning that one anyway.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 06, 2015, 08:40:42 am »

I was worried about skipping battlecries as well, but he is insanely good one he hits the table.

Only big problem is landing in Lightbomb, but it's still 1 for 1 at worst.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 06, 2015, 10:30:11 am »

I was worried about skipping battlecries as well, but he is insanely good one he hits the table.

Only big problem is landing in Lightbomb, but it's still 1 for 1 at worst.
On the plus side, Varian also 1 for 1's Mind Control sometimes if a Priest ever decides to run that. Plus Dr. Boom is good at baiting Lightbomb.

But yeah just summoning a 7/7 and a big body like Alex or something is good for 10 mana.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 06, 2015, 03:22:52 pm »

The problem is I don't have the other legendaries to make control warrior.  So I'm running him in patron with varying results.  He's still fun, and it's fun to watch people resign when you drop him.

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 06, 2015, 03:43:20 pm »
+1

The problem is I don't have the other legendaries to make control warrior.  So I'm running him in patron with varying results.  He's still fun, and it's fun to watch people resign when you drop him.

Would you say the results are mostly Varian up or down?

He's an awkward fit in Patron for a few reasons.  The biggest is that he could easily wreck a combo, as you might vomit pieces onto the board that you really needed to hold for a big finish. (You're also unlikely to be able to play further combo pieces on the same turn.)  But set against that is the fact that you don't run all that many minions as Patron, so he's more like card draw—very expensive card draw.

I can see that he'd be very fun if everything lined up though.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 07, 2015, 08:56:49 am »

Honestly, I didn't really play patron before so I can't really compare what value he adds. It can be key to pull out a warding commander after the other was killed from the first combo though. And if you were able to play thaurissan first, you can have spells that are 0 (whirlwind) or have one mana left because Varian ontly cost 9

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #417 on: September 18, 2015, 07:17:46 pm »

It's disappointing that Fallen Hero doesn't make, say, Shaman's hero power deal 1 extra damage even though it says that it does.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 18, 2015, 07:22:36 pm »

It's disappointing that Fallen Hero doesn't make, say, Shaman's hero power deal 1 extra damage even though it says that it does.

Nope. All it does is help Mages and fuck Warlocks.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #419 on: September 18, 2015, 07:25:37 pm »

It helps Hunter too.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: September 18, 2015, 07:35:13 pm »

It helps Hunter too.

That's right.  And Shadowform.  And Charged Hammer.  And DIE, INSECT!  That's it, though.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 19, 2015, 09:45:48 am »

Spell dmg doesn't give all your spells an extra dmg. Just the ones that originally deal damage.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 20, 2015, 08:26:07 pm »

It helps Hunter too.

That's right.  And Shadowform.  And Charged Hammer.  And DIE, INSECT!  That's it, though.

Wrong.  Fallen Hero helps Guldaan bring out Molten Giants faster.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 20, 2015, 11:32:36 pm »

Astral Communion seems to be bugged right now.  If you play it when you have 10 crystals already, you get the Excess Mana card, but it does not refresh your mana Crystals.

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 21, 2015, 03:04:35 am »

Astral Communion seems to be bugged right now.  If you play it when you have 10 crystals already, you get the Excess Mana card, but it does not refresh your mana Crystals.

That's unfortunate.  I drew one in Tavern Brawl the other day, and it was working then.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.