Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: funkdoc's journey to 5k (& beyond)  (Read 50137 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Re: funkdoc's journey to 5k (& beyond)
« Reply #150 on: June 17, 2016, 12:43:09 pm »

You want to play money every board? How are you 5k? :p
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 17, 2016, 02:45:08 pm »
+1

that's only when i've been playing for hours on end, typically when i'm stuck at home with nothing else to do

been working on getting a new computer so i can stream a lot more different things, and finding more cool IRL stuff to do.  sometimes i still end up in the vortex tho, and my brain shuts off after spending a while in it

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 17, 2016, 05:34:49 pm »
+1

When you feel like playing money, play through the campaigns or something

E.Honda

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: E.Honda
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 18, 2016, 01:36:11 pm »
+3

Ah, here's a mistake I still do constantly. I can't beat players like Heisenberg and HvHosenfeld (or whatever his name was) for this reason. I play way too fast. Even if I get a nice quick advantage, I can blow it by not playing as well as I should be. I'm in the same boat as you now, funkdoc. I can smoke everyone but the best, but the best can just tear into me like I just started the game. :p

Heisenberg once slowrolled me because i thought really long to find an ending and there wasnt one so i just bought a Province in the end. That was actually the reason i registered here, it was the first time i got slowrolled that way and felt the urge to make a pretty senseless complaint post :D

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 25, 2016, 06:37:09 pm »
+3

hvb is my favourite opponent

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 25, 2016, 06:53:27 pm »
+1

I played Heisenberg a couple of days ago. I must have gotten good or he was cooking meth and playing at the same time, but I won a lot of games against him that day.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 08, 2016, 02:32:52 pm »

sooo as those who saw my last league match know, i am more than ready for a *real* break from this goddamn game

i guess now i'm at the point where i would have to do game log analysis and such?  i've never been good at that sort of thing in any game i've played - i've always just tried to play more games and brute-force my way through any problems, but that doesn't work i guess!

i feel like this is the sort of game that's going to take me years, and i'll have to be on-and-off with it.  i should've guessed this when i saw that this game attracts the sort of people who love forum mafia; there are few things i detest more than forum mafia, to the point where you're instantly suspect in my eyes if you like it (j/k, sort of).  games should not feel like homework to me, and dominion does when you get the more complex boards.  i imagine it'll make enough sense to me eventually that this will disappear, but i'm nowhere near that point now.

i'll still be moderating the league, but this seems like the best course of action for the long term.  thank you for helping me throughout all this! =)

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 08, 2016, 02:47:49 pm »
+2

Perhaps rather than playing competitive matches, you would benefit from streaming games with another player where you can evaluate and test your thoughts in a more experimental format.

You can evaluate the board and decide what you think is best, then see what happens. If it goes badly, you can get feedback from the other player/chat, and replay the board if desired.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 08, 2016, 08:50:34 pm »

I feel like this is the sort of game that's going to take me years, and i'll have to be on-and-off with it.... Games should not feel like homework to me, and Dominion does when you get the more complex boards.

I'll still be moderating the league, but this seems like the best course of action for the long term.  thank you for helping me throughout all this! =)

It seems like there is an easy answer for this. Play less often, play with friends,  and play for fun!

smcrtorchs

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 16, 2016, 06:31:46 am »

Hey,

This forum is huge, which is why I reply so late.

I do not believe that you need to do log analysis to get better. Your way of getting better might not be the quickest, but still there is no reason why it would not work.

I tried to read your previous posts as well to understand your gaming problems better, but I am not sure I still have a good understanding as such things are pretty complex. From what I understand you could still keep your way of getting better, using intuition and brute force, as long as you understand that you need different approaches for different boards. You can see the whole thing of dominion as having many different subgames. You certainly do so anyway, like rushes engines slog etc. The thing is that you should categorize the boards to many more subcases, like tournament, inheritance, or wherever you seem to play weak. You should consider it a different area were you will have to get another model of intuition and not use the previous ones.

Also, once your intuition tells you what to do on a board, stop and ask your self, how all the other cards could interact with what you want to do and if there is a trick to make it quicker. Eventually this is another subgame where you can develop your intuition.

I am not a very intuitive dominion player my self, but I do understand how it works and cannot really see it being that limited as you seem to think at the moment. Yes it does take work to build many different models, but I do not think there is any shortcut to help you there.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 16, 2016, 08:00:32 am »

How To Get Better Without Doing Laborious Work And Log Analysis (though you are already better than me so this is a useless post full of condescending info you already know, but I already typed it and I'm a jackass I don't know fuck it):

1. Stream casual games with friends that you can experiment with, and read commentary beforehand. It's amazing how much little bits of info you get through this! It allows you to confirm suspicions about your play almost immediately after you have them, and that provides immediate reinforcement. Having Stef drop in on my channel once in a blue moon is probably the best thing that's happened to my competitive play.

2. Watch a few streams of better players, but at high speed and in the background while you're doing something else. Like work! I do this at work. My job is kind of a joke. Anyway, don't try too hard doing this, try to seek out specific games with cards you need improvement on. I still remember watching some Chapel / Tournament game where the player was like "yup I have definitely won the game" on like turn 4, and I was like whoa how do you know so early??? And then I finally fully understood Chapel.

3. Stop playing! People plateau when they try too hard. The break isn't a bad idea. It'll be shorter than you think. When you come back you'll have some low hanging fruit in trying to improve to shake the rust off from your break, and then you'll just keep going past that once you get into the groove again. Works every time, I think.

Also, Forum Mafia is terrible, and I think it's just because of the social aspect that people really dig it here more than anything? I dunno. Every forum has Mafia. 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 08:02:33 am by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 16, 2016, 12:59:25 pm »

sooo as those who saw my last league match know, i am more than ready for a *real* break from this goddamn game

i guess now i'm at the point where i would have to do game log analysis and such?  i've never been good at that sort of thing in any game i've played - i've always just tried to play more games and brute-force my way through any problems, but that doesn't work i guess!

i feel like this is the sort of game that's going to take me years, and i'll have to be on-and-off with it.  i should've guessed this when i saw that this game attracts the sort of people who love forum mafia; there are few things i detest more than forum mafia, to the point where you're instantly suspect in my eyes if you like it (j/k, sort of).  games should not feel like homework to me, and dominion does when you get the more complex boards.  i imagine it'll make enough sense to me eventually that this will disappear, but i'm nowhere near that point now.

i'll still be moderating the league, but this seems like the best course of action for the long term.  thank you for helping me throughout all this! =)

If you're that frustrated, you're doing it wrong. I guarantee you are trying too hard to get better. I would relax. If taking a break helps you do that (it did for me), it is better that way. Remember that you're trying to have fun. Winning is fun, but also look at losing as fun. Losing gives you opportunities to learn. Always keep your mind open to learning. And if you don't feel like playing, don't force yourself to play just to get better. That's all you really need to know. You play fine. You're high on Iso. You're doing great. Your mental make up is what really needs fixing, and again, if a break does that for you, I'd do it.

I've never done a log analysis in my entire life. I've tried, but it's near impossible for me. I have to see it. I can't visualize it too well. It's a skill I could probably acquire, but it's not really needed I would think. I can just watch WW games or MQ games or Stef games and you get the idea.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 01:01:16 pm by Seprix »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.