Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is Counterfeit/- a better opening than Cultist/- here?  (Read 1418 times)

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
Is Counterfeit/- a better opening than Cultist/- here?
« on: June 30, 2015, 02:50:09 pm »

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20150630/log.505e9c9c0cf2ef979299a7c0.1435689712676.txt

My opponent and I were talking about this game after I resigned and he suggested that Counterfeit might have been a better opener than Cultist, as you can trash faster, which will help you line up Urchins, so you can catch up to the Urchin/Urchin opening.

I thought the cycling of Cultist plus Cultist being able to potentially activate an Urchin was more important.  But as my opponent astutely pointed out, a Cutlist/- opening gives you a strong chance of setting yourself up with a bad shuffle.

Thoughts?

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: Is Counterfeit/- a better opening than Cultist/- here?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 03:17:03 pm »
+2

No way. And I'd take Cultist/- over Urchin/Urchin any day of the week.

Your two biggest mistakes were putting your Cultist on the bottom of your deck and buying an Urchin over a second Cultist on T4. Just snowball him with ruins and go from there. That you ended up with 4 ruins in your deck is madness.

Additionally, I thoroughly detest your opponent's Market Squares. Gaining a Gold off them before you're drawing your deck is almost never good and here it's especially terrible with more Urchins (Fortress means you want a ton of Mercs) and one or two Warehouses being much better options, and you not even wanting Golds at all (until at least the Fortresses are gone) because of the amazing Merc-Fortress combo.

Also,

a Cutlist/- opening gives you a strong chance of setting yourself up with a bad shuffle.

this "bad shuffle" would just be 5 cards so that has very little impact on anything.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 03:18:12 pm by SheCantSayNo »

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 03:32:17 pm »
+1

I think your 5/2 here was unfortunate, but I don't really think Counterfeit is going to do very much for you here (not until you're overdrawing your deck and you want it as part of your payload). Both of you got a Golden Sombrero™, but his was much better for him than yours was. I think the game was mostly over for you by T5. In your position, I probably would have opened Cultist, but after T4 when you had $5, I would have whined a lot, then when I was done whining I would have bought a second Cultist. Maybe Counterfeit there? Eh, I'm not so hot on it there either.

On his end, when I didn't see either of my Urchins on T3 I probably would have picked up Urchin #3, especially since you already have one Cultist. Getting thin and junking your opponent are the top priorities here (in that order).

PPE: SCSN says he likes 3/4 over 5/2 here, I remember a previous disagreement we had on a stream long ago about exactly this (Cultist vs. Urchin/Mercenary) and I remember feeling like I had proved my point, that Mercenary beats Cultist. Now you want Cultist here because it's the best draw, and the Ruins are annoying, but if I could stack my deck I would choose a 3/4 and open double Urchin.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 03:35:16 pm »
+1

You both have your opening buys miss on the first shuffle, which must be pretty rare, but it's much better for your opponent since it guarantees the urchins next hand. I don't think the cultist is a bad opening when going for urchins, even without the handy necropolis in your deck.

The early game plan here should be to trash down with at least two mercenaries and get the majority of a key card, fortress. The mid game can then be played with a lean deck, using mercenary on fortress for two cards and two coins, very convenient +buys, and an option to gain gold with market squares for the end game if needed. If you'd found that mid game plan then you wouldn't have needed to resign, even with an unpromising deck.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 20 queries.