Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Worst Game of Dominion Ever Played  (Read 1025 times)

tailred

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ceviri
  • Respect: +368
    • View Profile
The Worst Game of Dominion Ever Played
« on: June 27, 2015, 02:16:32 pm »
+7

I'm not kidding. This is probably the worst game of Dominion I've ever played.

Not because of misplays or unfun cards or anything, but rather it was the only game of Dominion I've ever played that made me feel physically exhausted after it ended. It's not even that long compared to the worst of slogs, topping out at 27 turns when I finally found a three-pile.

Behold, the log (I'm Islacchi):
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150627/log.540b8bcee4b06be045d24ce1.1435427803867.txt

Code: [Select]
Black Market, Watchtower, Bishop, Militia, Moneylender, Young Witch, Apprentice, Explorer, Market, Torturer, Prince

I thought the play was rather simple. The kingdom was devoid of villages, but full of trashing, so an engine was possible, and I looked in the Black Market for villages. I noticed quickly that my opponent didn't, though, giving up quite a few villages as they passed by. Also in the BM deck were several power cards: Highway, which allowed Princed Markets as villages, and Goons, which I didn't even notice until it came out with the Highway.

My opponent quickly went for a Bishop strategy, trashing most of his deck, even Princing one to trash every turn. I was convinced this was a terrible idea, but after he collected 2 provinces and over 20 VP chips, I began to get worried.

I realized that there was only one way out: Goons. I knew, though, that once he Princed his Bishop, with my Princed Militia, he was never going to spike Province ever again, so I only had to fear a 3-pile. I was extremely lucky that my opponent had neglected all the markets, going pretty money-heavy, allowing me to collect the entire stack after trashing down. However, the game had already become incredibly sloggy, with Princed Militias on both sides. Watchtowers were difficult on defence due to the lack of villages.

Sure enough, on turn 21, almost 40 VP down, I had the fortune of collecting the Goons.

And I entered the second stage of hell. I knew I was going to win, but I wasn't going to enjoy winning.

Because my opponent was trashing *every single turn* with his Princed Bishops (yes, he princed a second later), I had to look forward to endless turns of buying treasure, revealing watchtower, and tossing it into the junk. It was at this point I truly understood the resentment for Goko's Watchtower implementation. Because it was a Black Market Goons, I was earning VP way slower than a normal watchtower goons deck. Which sucked. Oh wow did it suck. At some point I even feared running out the coppers before I could catch up in VP, mixing in silvers and golds, though I might have overestimated the Bishop gain rate.

All in all, it was an experience I never wish to repeat.

Yeesh, venting felt great, though.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 02:18:47 pm by tailred »

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
Re: The Worst Game of Dominion Ever Played
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 07:01:26 pm »
+3

This game looks really awesome and cool. Are you sure you didn't secretly really enjoy winning and want to share your glorious victory?
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.