Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hatshepsut "bug"? Or blue dog problem?  (Read 2451 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Hatshepsut "bug"? Or blue dog problem?
« on: June 27, 2015, 01:12:49 pm »
+1

My opponent has Hatshepsut as a top card on his board, and 2 [1]'s in hand.  All of his top cards were [1]'s.  The base pile for [1] was empty.

I claimed a standard achievement.  My opponent would draw a 2 figure for that.  But Hatshepsut triggered, and he returned all 1's from his hand first, since he would draw a card of value higher than 2.

But then he didn't draw a 2 figure and 2 [2]'s as I would have expected.  He drew [1]'s, because after returning [1]'s, the base pile was now full.

The way Hatshepsut is written, this doesn't seem like it is what should happen.  It says "if you would", meaning, like, just before.  It's like, you put your hand in a cookie jar and grab a [2] figure, and then hapshetsut says "no, first return those [1]'s in your left hand, and draw two normal cards matching the value of the card your arm inside the cookie jar is grasping", and then you do that and you pull the 2 figure out of the cookie jar and you have 3 [2]'s even though the 1 pile is now full.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: Hatshepsut "bug"? Or blue dog problem?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 04:09:37 pm »

It also seems like a paradox if you drew 1s from that, because then it seems you were never supposed to draw a 2 and activate Hatshepsut's karma effect to begin wth.

antony

• Thief
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
Re: Hatshepsut "bug"? Or blue dog problem?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 11:44:11 pm »

I agree that 2's should have been drawn instead of 1's.

The relevant text is "If you would draw a card of value higher than 1 and you have a 1 in your hand, first return all cards from your hand and draw two cards of that value."  The important point is not "if you would" (which is defined in the rules), but "of value... of that value", which is clearly 2 here.

One *could* argue that after drawing two 2's, your opponent should draw a 1-figure (because he was going to draw "a figure of the lowest non-empty pile at least equal to his top age"), but that'd be a bit weird as markusin points out.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 20 queries.