Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Improvement to this game?  (Read 2175 times)

Derfazoid

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Improvement to this game?
« on: January 04, 2012, 11:30:09 am »

Hey Guys, I did win this game (netscape10) but my engine really slowed down when I started buying green. Any suggestions as to what I could have done to keep it strong till endgame?

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/04/game-20120104-061221-7485e599.html

I know multiple buy would have been helpful, but when you're drawing 11+ every turn you don't really want to spend it on a Woodcutter.
Was the trashing of mining village (turn 10) too early? The early platinum did help a lot though..
Another KC?

thanks for the input :) (In general I was pretty pleased with the outcome, being my first isotropic game and all)

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Re: Improvement to this game?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 12:31:10 pm »

First off, congrats on winning your first isotropic game.  :)

Second, I wouldn't technically call it an engine seeing as you only had 3 non-chapel actions.  However, you asked for suggestions so here's mine.  Take it for what it's worth.

I would open mining village/chapel with the goal of trashing all starting estates and coppers, pick up a woodcutter for a plus buy and use the mining village trash option to help get to $7 for a King's Court if necessary.  Then, depending on how your opponent is playing, buy as many King's Courts and Stewards with a few woodcutter for the +buy to continuously build a bigger, better and stronger deck to end the game in one turn (while making sure that your opponent can't prematurely end the game on 3-piles if they are playing a similar strategy).  Remember that the game can end by emptying 3 piles or by emptying the province pile.  When building a deck as I described above, you will most certainly not end the game on colonies as they are too expensive.  However, 3-piling or buying all the provinces is a within reason for this deck.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Derfazoid

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 02:04:02 pm »

hmm interesting idea. I guess I went for big money more than action cards. I didn't really plan ahead much and when I started hitting 11 money per turn, I just went with it. I really underestimated the power of King's Court.

Thanks for your suggestion.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 06:28:29 pm »

I think something simpler you can consider was your moneylender and chapel. A moneylender and copper only provide +3 coins, the same as a silver and copper. The advantage is that the moneylender trashes a copper. This isn't a great benefit as soon as you don't trash copper with the chapel just so that the moneylender can trash it instead.

The mining village is a handy opening partner to the chapel here since you can cash it in for coins later, your chapel is slightly less likely to miss the first shuffle, and the chapel can always trash 4 bad cards if drawn.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 07:31:49 am »

The mining village is a handy opening partner to the chapel here since you can cash it in for coins later, your chapel is slightly less likely to miss the first shuffle, and the chapel can always trash 4 bad cards if drawn.

"is slightly less likely" in the sense of: It's just (a little bit more than) half as likely.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.