Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17  All

Author Topic: Latest Release  (Read 120637 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
Re: Latest Release
« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2015, 06:52:25 pm »
+1

One thing I'm still wondering, is why do I have to download a 100MB file every time I want to update? Is that really the best way to do it?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2015, 07:11:49 pm »

One thing I'm still wondering, is why do I have to download a 100MB file every time I want to update? Is that really the best way to do it?
No it isn't, but this is Goko/Making Fun, you can't expect them to be efficient. You should build a workable product, with not too many defects/risk of problems before releasing it. Trust me, I'm a software tester.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #127 on: July 24, 2015, 07:25:21 pm »
+10

"Underrated" is not the same thing as "great".

Regards, werotheunderrated
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2015, 07:37:35 pm »

Am I... what?  Why is the first game for Act 2 of the Base Campaign have my deck filled with Smithies?
I believe it's an intentional game variant. It's a fun one. There's another one in Guilds where your starting Coppers are replaced with Candlestick Makers.

DavidTheDavid

• Dominion Online Staff
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 24, 2015, 07:57:25 pm »
+6

No it isn't, but this is Goko/Making Fun, you can't expect them to be efficient. You should build a workable product, with not too many defects/risk of problems before releasing it. Trust me, I'm a software tester.

Goko is not involved in this effort. I think we're already doing significantly better than Goko did.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 24, 2015, 08:07:11 pm »

Am I... what?  Why is the first game for Act 2 of the Base Campaign have my deck filled with Smithies?
I believe it's an intentional game variant. It's a fun one. There's another one in Guilds where your starting Coppers are replaced with Candlestick Makers.

There's a lot of things like it. There's one game where you start with 10 Feasts. Some games you start with something like a Bridge instead of a copper or something. I recently completed a game where you start with 3 Pawns, yay for long turns.

Goko is not involved in this effort. I think we're already doing significantly better than Goko did.

You're safe to ignore most things Joseph2302 says. He's been a Software tester for... how many days is it now Joe? 5? I mean, I agree you're doing significantly better, but my question does remain there.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 08:10:08 pm by Tables »
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 24, 2015, 08:24:19 pm »
+2

I'm very tempted to post a popcorn gif, but I won't.

Note that Blizzard forces a ~600 MB download whenever they release a Hearthstone update (even on some updates that don't include new expansions.) Update efficiency is definitely low priority to me. For the company it may be higher priority, depending on how much they're paying for bandwidth.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

DavidTheDavid

• Dominion Online Staff
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 24, 2015, 08:29:17 pm »
+4

Tables, we intend to get past the weekly updates. I mentioned download fatigue to the team in my last CS Report. Those downloads will become less frequent. Mobile will be nice in that updates are more seamless and less clicky. Many of you already know this, I'm sure, but with Chrome dropping its Unity plugin, Unity is producing a webGL exporter, which is in beta. I use my Chromebook a lot, and I was a bit surprised how many emails I got early on in the 2.0 release from other Chromebook users. Obviously, we want the game as broadly available as possible. Anyhow, I'm rambling: the web version will obviate download fatigue, and be a more welcoming environment to new players epecially. Some updates are server side, but that's essentially inconsequential as it's not user-facing, nor ever was so it doesn't really calculate in.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 24, 2015, 08:31:34 pm »

Okay, that's fair enough. It's not too big of an issue to me, 100 MB is a few minutes, but it just seems like that's a lot of space for each update. I know I can delete them after, if I remember to, but yeah.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 24, 2015, 10:27:12 pm »

Okay, that's fair enough. It's not too big of an issue to me, 100 MB is a few minutes, but it just seems like that's a lot of space for each update. I know I can delete them after, if I remember to, but yeah.
I think we're seeing enough good progress that I'm not going to complain about the download frequency that isn't going to remain an issue once the web version rolls out and presumably the mobile version. Mobile updates for apps are usually very straightforward.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 25, 2015, 01:05:48 am »
+1

Yay! It doesn't overheat my computer!

I agree with werothegreat about next priorities:
...sounds like the only remaining things are choosing who you want to play with and a Kingdom designer.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 25, 2015, 01:17:15 am »

Trying out the new version now.

Will be back with my thoughts.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 25, 2015, 01:28:28 am »

Computer still runs like it's overworked, but it's so noticeably better that it's essentially my computer at this point. If I restarted my computer and then played this app it would be better. Huh. As I'm typing this, my computer is going crazy like it used to again. Holy cow. I wonder if it's completely fixed yet. I fear my computer may explode now...

It runs better as a system overall. The cards are still moving around awkwardly and clunky like, mainly because there are akward slight pauses. But this is the definite update. It feels stable enough to play, it can only really go up from here.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 25, 2015, 02:15:42 am »

Things left to do:

* Smooth out cards moving in/out of hand, kind of jerky still
* Friend maker/finder
* Kingdom designer
* Adventures
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 25, 2015, 02:31:52 am »
+4

Things left to do:

* Friend maker/finder
* Kingdom designer
* Adventures

Is there an option to turn of flashy animations?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2015, 08:17:53 am »

Things left to do:

* Friend maker/finder
* Kingdom designer
* Adventures

Has the deck count bug been fixed as well?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2015, 08:50:14 am »

Things left to do:

* Friend maker/finder
* Kingdom designer
* Adventures

Has the deck count bug been fixed as well?

Yes
Here are the release notes
http://forum.makingfun.com/showthread.php?7335-Release-Notes-v-2-0-35&p=37384
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 25, 2015, 08:59:54 am »

OH MY GAWGH. This looks too good to be true! I don't have time to play it now but I can't wait to once I'm not busy!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 09:02:30 am by Elanchana »
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 25, 2015, 11:00:46 am »

Wow.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Joseph2302

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 25, 2015, 11:05:37 am »

Wow.
True, but Goko and Making Fun are both terms synonymous with not quite being as good as they promise.

On a different note, have they fixed the rejoining problem if your Internet drops? Haven't played in a while, and this feature is basically essential for me (my Internet seems to drop for about 1 second every 20-30 minutes).

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #145 on: July 25, 2015, 03:00:17 pm »

This version is actually pretty good. The CPU usage is still a lot higher than it should be and the animations are still super annoying, but the animations are still better than those of Hearthstone and the CPU usage has become a fairly minor problem as well.

It would be nice if I didn't have to restart it to switch it from screen 1 to screen 2 or vice versa though, and if it saved my automatch settings.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 03:03:03 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #146 on: July 26, 2015, 10:52:07 am »

Been playing for the last couple of days on the new client.  It feels so much better now.  I could still take an option to turn off animations, but they are pretty fast at this point.  I think my biggest problem is that the side log squishes the picture so much; I wonder why the log didn't just open in a new window.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #147 on: July 26, 2015, 11:06:39 am »

I wonder why the log didn't just open in a new window.

Because it would suck in the full screen mode.

Joseph2302

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 26, 2015, 01:29:12 pm »

I agree, that log makes the game so small. OTOH, in generally it seems a lot better than first release, which was the last time I used it. Played 3 or 4 games, no real issues (other than animations are annoying), rematch worked well too.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 26, 2015, 01:53:14 pm »
+1

I wonder why there's a full screen mode at all. Full screen mode makes sense for immersive games like FPSs and MMORPGs. It does not make sense for a computerized card game.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17  All

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.