Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17  All

Author Topic: Latest Release  (Read 120923 times)

DavidTheDavid

• Dominion Online Staff
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
Latest Release
« on: June 23, 2015, 07:33:09 pm »
+10

I thought a new thread might make it easier instead of posting in the beta thread. Hope that's okay with the moderators. I don't have release notes yet, but those will post on our forum hopefully soon.

Anyhow, 2.0.31 is out a day earlier. I do know it takes care of a couple of the nastier bugs, along with some relatively smaller ones.

Thanks!

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Re: Latest Release
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 08:35:36 pm »
+7

Here are the release notes, copied from the MF forums:

Again, we have another upgrade in less than a week's time. This release fixes a lot of major issues, some long-standing, some recent. Here are the changes since v.2.0.30:

NEW FEATURE

Moves the resolution settings and full-screen option from a start-up dialog to a new main menu options dialog. Not only can you change the resolution without restarting the app, you can try out different resolutions quickly to see which one fits you the best! Now only resolutions that truly are compatible with what your monitor supports are given as choices.

FIXED

* Fixes a bug where, after disconnecting, re-opening the app, and starting a game, you ended up playing a different game than the server thought you were! This caused bizarre behaviors such as freezing in games, "Play All" not playing all or playing different cards, opponents buying things that aren't in your kingdom, etc. (1077, 1089)
* Fixes a bug where sometimes the game would show only the backs of kingdom cards and you could not proceed (1213)
* Fixes a number of reported freezes, such as with Wharf + Throne Room/King's Court, Prince + Beggar/Storeroom, playing a coin token, etc. (1087, 1141, 1142)
* Fixes a bug where, in certain resolution settings, clicks on buttons or campaigns would not to select the right thing and roll-over highlights would roll-over at the wrong time (1054, 1197, 1199)
* We believe we've fixed the bug with card text sometimes disappearing; however, we don't know for sure, because we never experienced the original bug (892)
* Fixed the following campaign map problems:
- You can't progress in the Tutorial (1222, 1223)
- Clicking in a campaign map takes you to some other campaign map (1243)
- When a guest clicks on a locked set, it takes him back to the main menu (1205)
- When a guest clicks on Base Act 2 or 3, it gives an unfriendly error (1206)
* Fixed: Spoils giving 6 coins instead of 3 (1219)
* Fixed: opponent trays behaviour (1231)
* Fixed issues with Social to Email/Password webpage
- Can't Add Email/Password Login to Twitter Accounts (1169)
- Entering an existing email while trying to add a social account (1163)
* Fixed: Bad behavior if attempting a sign up with a username that already exists (1221)
* Fixed: Bad behavior if attempting to change email to somebody else's (1209)
* Fixed: a player could login without verifying email (1202)
* Windows installer now makes desktop shortcut optional (1097)
* Backend improvements or unreleased features (588, 589, 725, 750, 806, 1179, 1216, 1217, 1218, 1236, 1241)

IN PROGRESS

Fixed issues with initial kingdom layout, such as Ruins pile on the 2nd page, prize on the first page, and only showing 10 cards on the first page when there was room for more. (1015, 1066, 1082) However, there are known bugs with the current implementation which we will have to address with the next release.

DavidTheDavid

• Dominion Online Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 08:58:29 pm »
+2

You may want to clear you cache before going to playdominion.com, especially if you don't see the new webpage there. Or you can bookmark http://beta.playdominion.com/. And Chrome's autocomplete gets me when I start typing playdominion and gives me the long URL for the 1.0 client instead of the truncated one which redirects to the beta. url.

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 11:11:28 pm »
+3

On the one hand, this is the first release where I've successfully played a game. I guess that's something.

On the other hand: Ewww.

Even though I'd heard it from this thread, I didn't realize the animations could be so much worse than Goko while perfectly replicating all their flaws as well. Someone spent lots of effort on making the animations strictly worse than Goko. (Yes, I said strictly worse. Someone think of the edge case.)

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1676
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 11:14:10 pm »
+3

On the one hand, this is the first release where I've successfully played a game. I guess that's something.

Even though I'd heard it from this thread, I didn't realize the animations could be so much worse than Goko while perfectly replicating all their flaws as well. Someone spent lots of effort on making the animations strictly worse than Goko. (Yes, I said strictly worse. Someone think of the edge case.)

When playing a chain of actions my screen is a blur of sparkles sparkling brightly. Everyone loves sparkles, right?

Also, the latest version disconnected me from the campaign due to inactivity. Is that new? Why? Why is this necessary?

Finally, while playing fullscreen on my display's default resolution (1920x1080) the card art seems somehow fuzzier than version 2.0.30. But hey, who doesn't love fuzziness.

tl;dr Fuzzy and sparkly.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 12:09:40 am by Cave-o-sapien »

rspeer

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 11:43:05 pm »
+3

Wait, wait, what's this about chaining actions? That doesn't sound at all to me like the thing where you play an action, wait for an animation to finish, wait for your CPU to catch up, wait for the server to confirm it, and then at last have the option of playing another action.

Nobody would design that interface in a game where you're supposed to chain actions, right?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 11:45:12 pm by rspeer »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 10:14:54 am »
+4

It would be funny if it hadn't been a horrible waste of someone's time.  They're going to have to add a "turn this off" option (or piss off a bunch of photosensitive epileptics), and no one sane will play with all those sparkles.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 10:19:43 am »
+3

I thought a new thread might make it easier instead of posting in the beta thread. Hope that's okay with the moderators. I don't have release notes yet, but those will post on our forum hopefully soon.

Anyhow, 2.0.31 is out a day earlier. I do know it takes care of a couple of the nastier bugs, along with some relatively smaller ones.

Thanks!

Thanks for the hard work David. I think the vast majority of us out here appreciate that you guys are getting things done, keep it up!
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

DavidTheDavid

• Dominion Online Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 11:25:41 pm »
+9

I want an option to disable animations, too, and pro players, and most likely people who start casual and then become fluent, want the same thing. There is a ticket on the issue. But if nothing else, believe me, the animations initially were much more jarring. The closed beta people got to experience that.  :-X

2.0.32 may come sooner rather than later with some more important bug fixes.

And the game will now alert you that your client is too old and to go get the new one. It's coming along.

nate_w

• Navigator
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 05:58:19 am »
+1

I wanted to second the thanks on your parts for the work you are doing. I've been out of the country since the open beta was released and have not tried it but have been following pretty closely the reactions on this forum.

It sounds like a LOT of progress has been made and while there sounds like there is a LOT left to do to get the product to where it needs to be you guys are earnestly working on issues.  I'm looking forward to trying the beta in a few days. While I'm sure I will find in frustrating, it sounds like it will be playable! 

The one thing I would request is that you not move out of beta until you have a product people actually feel like is better than GOKO. It sounds like you maybe moved out of closed beta too quickly and supplanting a product with an inferior one would be terrible.

Anyway, keep up the work and I look forward to the final product.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 06:42:08 am »
+2

Something I haven't seen mentioned is that this game looks just gorgeous at high resolutions. 2880x1620 is so mesmerizing....

Game has been getting progressively more stable for me, and right now I don't mind playing it over the old version so much. Still some time before I would say it's okay to take the old version down, but progress is pretty rapid so far.

But there's *still* the deck size counting bug. How can that possibly be so hard to fix???
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 06:43:12 am by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

buggy

• Scout
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
    • Interactivities Ink
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 10:57:41 am »

I like to turn on sound effects before trying to start a game, so I get an audio notification of when the game has started.  Doing so, will resize the window to my screen size unless I reset the screen size back to my window size.

If I have the chat window open and type something, say "gg," because I know it will end on my next turn, that will automatically go out when I click the mouse.

I keep losing games.  I think the rng in the shuffler hates me. 

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 11:04:34 am »
+1

But there's *still* the deck size counting bug. How can that possibly be so hard to fix???

My guess is that the client is trying to keep track of your deck from "memory", adding and subtracting from the total as things happen in the game. If it "forgets" to add or subtract once (because of a coding mistake), the count is going to be off from then on. Making Fun is trying to minimize the amount of traffic between the server and the client, you see. But from a maintainability perspective, what they should be doing is having the server report the size of your deck each time it communicates with the client.

All this goes for the VP tracker too, though I have no idea if that's been fixed yet.

rspeer

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 11:42:35 am »
+1

I'm curious what the plan would be for disabling animations, because from here it looks like it won't be straightforward. It looks like, just like on Goko, the animations are being used as a general-purpose timer for revealing consequences of actions and for limiting the AI's play speed. (They limit people's play speed for the same reason. This is awful, and MF can't say we didn't warn them about this.)

Hopefully the alternative to awful animations wouldn't be that everything flashes on the screen for mere milliseconds.

I'm still trying to comprehend who even took the time to implement these flaming orbs that indicate "you got a +Action!" or "something happened that affects you!". The thing that would explain it would be if these are some sort of Unity default animation that's there as a placeholder.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 11:55:09 am »
+9

I only thought I knew what it meant to receive a Curse. But I learned the truth when that purple flash first annihilated my mind.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 11:57:53 am »

My guess is that the client is trying to keep track of your deck from "memory", adding and subtracting from the total as things happen in the game. If it "forgets" to add or subtract once (because of a coding mistake), the count is going to be off from then on. Making Fun is trying to minimize the amount of traffic between the server and the client, you see. But from a maintainability perspective, what they should be doing is having the server report the size of your deck each time it communicates with the client.

All this goes for the VP tracker too, though I have no idea if that's been fixed yet.

Is it really that much work to just send one single integer for deck size?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 11:59:46 am »
+4

I'm still trying to comprehend who even took the time to implement these flaming orbs that indicate "you got a +Action!" or "something happened that affects you!". The thing that would explain it would be if these are some sort of Unity default animation that's there as a placeholder.

I assume the logic went like this: They were told to achieve parity with Goko's HTML5 version, which had animations for this stuff. They couldn't carry over the old animations from HTML5 to Unity, so they had to program new ones. And since they have to make them from scratch, why not "improve" them?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 12:15:56 pm »

If you want to optimize, sending a byte would do in most situations (i.e. all), and sending a short in the remaining situations would surely do.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 12:23:20 pm »
+2

So things left to do:

No Animations
Computer heating overload
Friend Challenging
Private Room creating for tournaments and private play (optional)
Log
Security flaws
Adventures (:D)
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 01:13:47 pm »
+4

If you want to optimize, sending a byte would do in most situations (i.e. all)

Edge case: Celestial Chameleon buys out the entire board in a 4-player game with Ruins.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2015, 01:15:01 pm »

If you want to optimize, sending a byte would do in most situations (i.e. all)

Edge case: Celestial Chameleon buys out the entire board in a 4-player game with Ruins.

and sending a short in the remaining situations would surely do.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2015, 01:37:12 pm »
+5

I want an option to disable animations, too, and pro players, and most likely people who start casual and then become fluent, want the same thing. There is a ticket on the issue. But if nothing else, believe me, the animations initially were much more jarring. The closed beta people got to experience that.  :-X

And the game will now alert you that your client is too old and to go get the new one. It's coming along.

So why are there animations?  Is this somehow funded by Michael Bay?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2015, 03:21:56 pm »
+1

Dominion by Michael X Bay:  The same game you love, but every card is named Explosion, with appropriate card art.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2015, 03:30:06 pm »
+1

Because fancier graphics than "numbers and text" are what people expect from a game that's expected to get some mass market appeal, especially on the mobile market.

rspeer

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2015, 04:44:45 pm »
+8

Because fancier graphics than "numbers and text" are what people expect from a game that's expected to get some mass market appeal, especially on the mobile market.

Animations are not a problem in themselves.

Animations that run in serial and prevent UI interactions are a problem, although a problem we're quite used to because of Goko. Animations that are used as an ad-hoc timer are a problem. And animations that consume 100% of your CPU, block your view of the game, and range in tastefulness from "anime battle" to "trash fire", are very much a problem.

While it's true that the only good Dominion interface we've seen is Isotropic, that doesn't mean it's the only possible good interface. Somehow Prismata has done animations right and they're still in alpha.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.