Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17  All

Author Topic: Latest Release  (Read 120655 times)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Latest Release
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2015, 07:59:05 am »

I meant how are they in comparison to previous releases.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2015, 10:30:25 am »

How are the animations?  I haven't downloaded the new version; are there any changes?

In case you're serious...

The animations are terrible. On top of the fact that they faithfully reimplement the unnecessary delays of Goko's animations, they slow your computer to a crawl and are bright enough to obscure your view of the game. The only thing I can think of doing to appreciate the animations is to shout "HADOUKEN!" every time you play a Village.

If you're comparing Street Fighter to Dominion, you're doing something right.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

DavidTheDavid

• Dominion Online Staff
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2015, 08:53:18 pm »
+5

2.0.34 is out.

http://forum.makingfun.com/showthread.php?7288-Release-Notes-v-2-0-34

Inaccurate deck count is being looked at still. I know, I know.  :-[

Some optimizations have been made for CPU usage, but one important one is still being worked on. That work will continue into next week. Those optimizations are not in 2.0.34.

Sidebar game log in this version.

I have asked for a general update to the player community, and now that 2.0.34 is out, I'll raise that again.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2015, 08:58:44 pm »

2.0.34 is out.

Some optimizations have been made for CPU usage, but one important one is still being worked on. That work will continue into next week. Those optimizations are not in 2.0.34.

I have asked for a general update to the player community, and now that 2.0.34 is out, I'll raise that again.

I like the hot keys. L for Game Log, Tab for chat.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2015, 09:16:11 pm »
+3

2.0.34 is out.

I like the hot keys. L for Game Log, Tab for chat.
It looks like we're starting to see the changes we were hoping for all along. The pace at which we're seeing these changes suggests the code base is easier to work with overall.

Some of the Campaign related changes are things that were originally in the Goko version, of course without the improved Campaign experience. This all suggests to me that they weren't ready to release the Beta when they did. It's a shame that the first impression of V 2.0 had to be so distressing.

But then the closed Beta players were saying progress was slow during the closed Beta. Hrm, maybe the public outcry has put additional pressure on the development team to deliver.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2015, 09:20:31 pm »

The log is nice.  However, there are still lingering things (aside from the deck counter bug) that are still not addressed.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2015, 09:33:30 pm »

I can't log in to try out the update yet :(

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2015, 09:33:38 pm »

The log is a massive improvement.  I would recommend giving players the option to change the colors (white background is much easier to read) but make no mistake, I am grateful for this change.

My laptop is still overheating to the point where I am afraid of playing the game, though.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

DavidTheDavid

• Dominion Online Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2015, 10:45:27 pm »

The log is a massive improvement.  I would recommend giving players the option to change the colors (white background is much easier to read) but make no mistake, I am grateful for this change.

My laptop is still overheating to the point where I am afraid of playing the game, though.

Those are the optimizations I mentioned. It is actively being worked on, meaning it has been prioritized.

nate_w

• Navigator
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2015, 01:44:12 am »
+1

Again, thanks for the work you guys have been putting in, and a special thanks for you for taking the brunt of the community ire when things aren't right.

My question is: how far away are we from MF saying, "OK guys this is good enough. Scrap the old version, this is what it is now!"  I'm worried they will do this before it is where it needs to be. That's kinda how it went with the transition from isotopic to goko and it left a really sour taste in people's mouths.

Is the company's expected timeline available for public knowledge?

DavidTheDavid

• Dominion Online Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2015, 03:26:33 pm »
+2

Again, thanks for the work you guys have been putting in, and a special thanks for you for taking the brunt of the community ire when things aren't right.

My question is: how far away are we from MF saying, "OK guys this is good enough. Scrap the old version, this is what it is now!"  I'm worried they will do this before it is where it needs to be. That's kinda how it went with the transition from isotopic to goko and it left a really sour taste in people's mouths.

Is the company's expected timeline available for public knowledge?

The honest is that I don't know. I just asked for a community update, so I think that Jeff and John are crafting a statement to tell us where we're at and what's in the near future.

Just my own opinion here, but I want to see the friend finder in place before 1.0 is shuttered.

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2015, 06:56:25 pm »

"Just my own opinion here, but I want to see the friend finder in place before 1.0 is shuttered."

+1 to that. I play 98% of games against one particular friend of mine (we've played at least once a week IRL or online since 2009).

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2015, 07:20:19 pm »
+1

I play on a chromebook, so if they close down 1.0 before they release the web build, I will temporarily lose my ability to play at all. That's not the worst thing ever, and I'm sure they realize some people are in that position, but it wouldn't be pleasant, at least.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

microman

• Moneylender
  • Stop "Making Fun" of me!
  • Respect: +67
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2015, 03:34:14 am »

Do the fine folks at MF have an idea how soon the Adventures expansion will be available after 2.0 is finished?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2015, 03:38:28 am »

I play on a chromebook, so if they close down 1.0 before they release the web build, I will temporarily lose my ability to play at all. That's not the worst thing ever, and I'm sure they realize some people are in that position, but it wouldn't be pleasant, at least.

I'd argue there's really no need for any implementation other than a web build. I don't understand the benefits. Offline play? Who is going to play Dominion games against AI in Story mode? I certainly don't, and I know others do, but if my WiFi is down and I can't play Dominion against AIs only in an offline setting, it's not the end of the world.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2015, 04:08:26 am »
+1

Well, I certainly prefer having a client that I can download, because that means

1) I can have a bunch of data on my hard drive instead of not having it there, which makes it faster to load that data
2) I can free up one browser bookmark for something else
3) I can pin it to my task bar which allows launching it with a hot key
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2015, 04:34:27 am »

Well, I certainly prefer having a client that I can download, because that means

1) I can have a bunch of data on my hard drive instead of not having it there, which makes it faster to load that data

Mostly personal preference it seems. I am particular about what is on my computer because I only have 23 GB left of space.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2015, 05:33:46 am »
+3

I want an option to disable animations, too, and pro players, and most likely people who start casual and then become fluent, want the same thing. There is a ticket on the issue. But if nothing else, believe me, the animations initially were much more jarring. The closed beta people got to experience that.  :-X

2.0.32 may come sooner rather than later with some more important bug fixes.

And the game will now alert you that your client is too old and to go get the new one. It's coming along.

So why are there animations?  Is this somehow funded by Michael Bay?

Dominion by Michael X Bay:  The same game you love, but every card is named Explosion, with appropriate card art.

Not every card.  There is also Gunpowder and Bomb.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2015, 09:22:45 am »

I play on a iPad - I have for the last 18 months approx - so I guess if the new version is a downloaded client that ain't going to work too well for me.  :-\

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2015, 04:28:20 pm »

I play on a iPad - I have for the last 18 months approx - so I guess if the new version is a downloaded client that ain't going to work too well for me.  :-\

Yeah, they're going to need something that will run on iOS, Android, etc, or there will be a segment of very unhappy people.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

thespaceinvader

• Minion
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2015, 03:51:05 am »
+1

Yeah, they're going to need something that will run on iOS, Android, etc, or there will be a segment of very unhappy people.

Will be?  That segment of people is either already unhappy or long since gone past unhappy into 'playing something else' territory - or they never found Dominion at all because the only version it's ever had as an app that I know of is Androminion.  But then, that's true of a lot of players of this game - I could play MF, but I find the play experience so inimical that I choose not to, even for free.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2015, 11:26:06 am »
+4

Offline play? Who is going to play Dominion games against AI in Story mode? I certainly don't, and I know others do, but if my WiFi is down and I can't play Dominion against AIs only in an offline setting, it's not the end of the world.

I think you'd be surprised how many people out there would play Dominion offline exclusively against an AI on a mobile device if given the opportunity.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2015, 12:04:46 pm »
+1

Offline play? Who is going to play Dominion games against AI in Story mode? I certainly don't, and I know others do, but if my WiFi is down and I can't play Dominion against AIs only in an offline setting, it's not the end of the world.

I think you'd be surprised how many people out there would play Dominion offline exclusively against an AI on a mobile device if given the opportunity.

I would be.

-AI is a joke to play
-Playing AI is not a good way to get better at the game

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2015, 12:32:24 pm »
+1

Will be?  That segment of people is either already unhappy or long since gone past unhappy into 'playing something else' territory - or they never found Dominion at all because the only version it's ever had as an app that I know of is Androminion.  But then, that's true of a lot of players of this game - I could play MF, but I find the play experience so inimical that I choose not to, even for free.

Yes, that segment is already unhappy, but I'm talking about a much more specific segment: people who have paid for sets, but play exclusively on iOS or Android.  Telling them "other people can keep playing, but you're SOL" is a really terrible business move.

For that matter, does the downloadable work on non-Windows machines?  I hope so, because that would be a much larger segment of unhappy people.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2015, 12:47:36 pm »
+6

-AI is a joke to play
-Playing AI is not a good way to get better at the game

a) Not everyone is interested in playing Dominion hyper-competitively

b) Playing against a BAD AI isn't a good way to get better, but I think it should be possible to build an AI sufficient to challenge most players.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17  All

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 20 queries.