Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: League match decision  (Read 11279 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
League match decision
« on: June 22, 2015, 08:22:28 am »
+7

Game log

Video

Code: [Select]
Vineyard, Forager, Menagerie, Wishing Well, Smithy, Tournament, Bazaar, Haggler, Library, Farmland
A league match vs Robz, I believe the reason I lost this game is because of two unfortunate shuffles for me: at the end of T4 and T6 -- the Hagglers were not good to me. My first Haggler misses the shuffle and collides with my second Haggler, causing me to not hit $5 ever on either of those shuffles.

I'm not here to whine about my Haggler luck, though. There's one particular decision that I want to look at under a microscope here. It starts at 4:15 in the video, and it's on T6: my second Haggler buy.

The chat pretty unanimously says I should have bought a Bazaar there, saying I have too many terminals (before that buy, I had 11 cards, one of them was a cantrip (Tournament) and one was a Haggler -- so the second Haggler was my second terminal in a deck of effectively 11 cards), and given my draws, of course I wish I had a Bazaar instead, no question. That collision plus the rest of my shuffles really puts me far behind and things might have been better if that one Haggler was a Bazaar instead.

But looking back at it, I'm still pretty convinced that the second Haggler is the right play to make. First, since I know my first Haggler is missing the shuffle with another card, there's only a 1-in-3 chance that it will collide on that next shuffle (which is all that really matters, since the idea of picking up the second Haggler now is to hit $5 a few times and buy Bazzars and haggle some other stuff, probably a Tournament and then a Smithy, but it depends on draws obvs) and in this case I believe I'm clearly better off than if I have a Bazaar. There are plenty of cases in between what happened (total disaster, hitting more $4 hands) and the somewhat-ideal case I described (hitting $5 twice, haggling lots of delicious things) that I think are just as good as having the Bazaar. I feel pretty strongly that I want the second Haggler in my deck (obviously it doesn't end up being that good given my draws, since I have to go for green prematurely and I'm not even able to really consider contesting Prizes).

I've thought about this quite a bit and if I had it to do again, I'd get the second Haggler. I realize that lots of good people in the chat were disagreeing with me and there was nobody who spoke up to oppose them (many times there is), so I'm thinking I have to be missing something. If the second Haggler is no good here then I just don't understand why. The best I can glean from the chat is "LOL LOOK UR TERMINALZ COLLIDED" but that's just not good enough to convince me that I'm wrong.

So please help me learn something from this game.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
Re: League match decision
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 08:47:49 am »
+2

I don't have any problems with the second Haggler.

After Robz activates Menageries on turns 8 and 9, playing two Foragers both turns and getting a Province you are just lost unless he royally screws up.

For whatever it's worth, I don't particularly like a Smithy on your turn 9, prefer another Menagerie. I think a Menagerie activation is about as likely as drawing your one Bazaar before a Smithy (the only scenario where the Smithy helps you immediately). Think I'd want a few more Bazaars (and probably duplicate green cards or Potions) before I considered Smithy over Menagerie.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 08:49:20 am by Mic Qsenoch »

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 09:00:20 am »
+2

This is probably right, Menagerie has to be better than Smithy for quite a while after that choice.

Looking back, there are a few other misplays I know I made. SCSN was constantly saying in the chat how I should be trashing Coppers over Estates for Menagerie -- of course I think he's overstating it but there are probably some plays I made where I should have trashed a Copper and I didn't. I didn't think about it, which is a clear mistake. It's a tough call, though, because hitting $5 is so important for me, the ramifications of this probably touch the way I build my deck in lots of other ways, so it's an interesting question.

The nice thing, though, is that I think I know how I can adjust my thinking on this next time to get better, I'll need to play some more games like that but it's something I can work with.

The Haggler, though, I dunno. They really beat me up in the chat for that and I just don't agree with them.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 09:01:59 am »
+2

I dislike the second Haggler in that specific spot because it gave you 1/3(!) chance to collide them on T7, and that basically ruins your game. The 2/3 upside is nice but the price is just too high.

You also didn't seem to have Menagerie in mind while making your earlier decions, e.g. on T5 you trash your penultimate Estate over a Copper while still having 7 Coppers in your deck and not being able to buy anything anyway.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 09:04:17 am by SheCantSayNo »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 10:02:59 am »
+1

You are trashing down your deck with foragers, adding drawing cards like menagerie and tournament, then adding a second terminal. This increases your terminal collision. If you take a bazaar you've a chance of getting the first province as well. One province and the best prizes must be an asset to a vineyard deck, considering the opponent will happily use them if you don't.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 01:41:49 pm »
+4

I didn't see this match live but I don't like your second haggler. I don't think it's close either.

I think we agree on the risk (1/3) and also on the downside when it goes wrong (you basically lose right there).
But we seem to disagree on the joy when this 1/3 doesn't happen.

Even when they don't collide I'm not at all convinced haggler is better then bazaar. You just want to play your foragers now, so your menageries can make your deck go nuts.
Haggler doesn't cycle, bazaar does. Later on the double haggler isn't great either (vineyards).
Join the Dominion League!

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 01:57:22 pm »
+1

OK, this problem comes up quite frequently in the chat. I'm trying to build a certain deck, and people in the chat have their own idea of what is best. If those ideas are different (due to either me not stating clearly enough what kind of deck I want to build, or due to [PPE: something else]) then most of what is said by either party is falling on deaf ears.

Hopefully I'm coming across clearly here?

Anyways, I think that's what is going on here: you and SCSN (and maybe DG? Not sure where he stands on this) seem to have a certain set of priorities here for deck building:

Priority 1: trash ALL the starting cards
Priority 2: make a deck that can be drawn and maybe overdrawn with Menageries
Priority 3: decide on payload, go get that payload.

My priorities are more like this:

Priority 1: Gain a butt-load of good cards that are helpful for drawing deck (Menagerie is a part of this but not the backbone of it -- Bazaar/Smithy enters into this equation (I'm not trying to say my Smithy was right, I'm just saying I got it too soon))
Priority 2: Have Foragers chomping away at starting cards.
Priority 3: Don't lose the Vineyards split, but have a bunch more Action cards than my opponent.

In my deck, Hagglers are really really good. Like, buying Vineyard and Haggling Coppers/Curses is actually not bad because my Foragers need to eat and I want to bloat my deck with good Action cards.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it seems the disagreement here is not about the second Haggler, but rather about my priorities in deck building. If I'm correct, though, in that the disconnect is here, then I'm not necessarily convinced that my deck is worse than the other one.

Maybe the Prizes help the other deck chomp through Provinces too quickly? My read is that it can't but Robz could have emptied Provinces on T13 (he took a 3-pile win instead, but his deck got there). Was that super-lucky? I'm willing to accept that this comes down to me being bad with Tournament.

nate_w

• Navigator
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 02:14:12 pm »

Yeah I'm ok with your second haggler as well. A lot of people are pointing out that you have a 1/3 chance of just being dead but I'm not sure your chances were above 67% of winning the game before then either. Increase in variance seems like a good thing when you are behind, which you were.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 02:39:29 pm »
+5

I would challenge you, Adam, to back up your assertion that I'm "not playing very well," which you make around the 9:00 minute mark, and reiterate when I gain Followers.

While I agree that Princess was the most important Prize, it was not the Prize that was going to help me gain more Prizes the best. Steed and Followers offered superior draw, which my deck needed, and some extra actions, and I faced absolutely no competition from you to get Princess when I gained the Steed. The turn I gained the Followers, I knew I would gain the Princess later, and did.

I think my only mistake--which SCSN pointed out--was buying that Gold instead of a Bazaar.

You had a very rough shuffle when you had the Haggler collision, I agree, so I think your downfall was mostly bad draws. But I really think the second Haggler is very bad. You had no ability to play both of them, so the second Haggler wasn't going to help get you to $8. It was going to help you get a lot of nice pieces, sure, but only if they didn't collide, and then it would have been another shuffle until you were getting to $8, and you weren't moving through your deck the quickest, etc.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 02:43:17 pm »
+2

The 2/3 upside is nice but the price is just too high.
It doesn't seem that nice. If you get good draws and your Hagglers don't collide then you get to gain 1 extra card that shuffle. Big whoop!

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 02:43:31 pm »
+2

And I certainly didn't mean to upset you or insult you when I wrote "this looks bad for you." I was actually trying to do the opposite: make you feel better by acknowledging that I understood you were in rough shape for reasons that weren't entirely your fault. I'm sorry my meaning wasn't conveyed. Although I feel less strongly about this, having watched the video from your end: you do not seem to understand this board very well and struggle to grasp why my play was successful, albeit based upon better draws.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 03:01:51 pm »

I would challenge you, Adam, to back up your assertion that I'm "not playing very well," which you make around the 9:00 minute mark, and reiterate when I gain Followers.

I later take that back when I see you gain Princess in the same turn, and the only other thing I remember saying that about was

I think my only mistake--which SCSN pointed out--was buying that Gold instead of a Bazaar.

I'm not going to try and back up every single thing I ever say in a stream, in fact this thread is about questioning what I was doing there, so I'm certainly open to criticisms. If you think you did something well that I said isn't very good, you could be right. YMYOSL. I'm just trying to figure out exactly what about this game I'm not understanding so I can get better.

But I really think the second Haggler is very bad. You had no ability to play both of them, so the second Haggler wasn't going to help get you to $8.

If you get good draws and your Hagglers don't collide then you get to gain 1 extra card that shuffle. Big whoop!

I feel like I've said this already, but here we are with two posts that are just asserting things that aren't helping me at all.

To Robz, I don't intend to play both Hagglers in one turn, I intend to play one Haggler per turn for the next two turns, where I buy Bazaars and haggle draw cards so that next shuffle I can play both of them and maybe hit $8? Maybe get more draw? It kinda depends on how close you are to Princess at that point I think.

To pubby, I have an extra Haggler in my deck, and I've increased my chances of hitting $5 on each turn given how my economy is at that point. So I have an extra Haggler and an extra $5-cost, probably a Bazaar, yeah? Given that this second Haggler is extremely important to the deck I want to build, I would say that the size of this whoop is significantly above average. Are you in the second-haggler-is-bad camp? If so, then I'm not convinced yet that my deck is the wrong one to build.

Maybe it is, maybe I can find that out by just playing this kingdom some more. I'm not sure why, though.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 03:47:45 pm »
+2

To Robz, I don't intend to play both Hagglers in one turn, I intend to play one Haggler per turn for the next two turns, where I buy Bazaars and haggle draw cards so that next shuffle I can play both of them and maybe hit $8?

That's too optimistic. Remember that you have two foragers are only providing 1 coin (at most) from 2 cards so the hagglers are not guaranteed good income. By adding a second haggler you create more permutations where you don't get good haggler income. Sure, it might work out, but only with very good draws.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 04:18:43 pm »
+2

To pubby, I have an extra Haggler in my deck, and I've increased my chances of hitting $5 on each turn given how my economy is at that point. So I have an extra Haggler and an extra $5-cost, probably a Bazaar, yeah? Given that this second Haggler is extremely important to the deck I want to build, I would say that the size of this whoop is significantly above average. Are you in the second-haggler-is-bad camp? If so, then I'm not convinced yet that my deck is the wrong one to build.
I just don't see how a second Haggler is extremely important from turn 6 to 8. If you really want to hit $5 twice then Bazaar has better odds than Haggler, and it's trivial to buy that second Haggler on a later turn.

There's something to be said about going for high-risk-high-reward strategies when behind, but this isn't that. The potential reward is mediocre so don't even bother.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 10:27:02 pm »
+1

By adding a second haggler you create more permutations where you don't get good haggler income.

I know some people will be very pleased by this, but I feel like I need math to convince me of this, since my gut tells me this just isn't true. Mostly because the only cards that are worth more than $1 in my deck at that point are Haggler and potentially Tournament, so the Haggler should provide more economy unless they collide. In fact, the only hand that can have a Haggler that doesn't collide and not hit $5 has both Foragers in it.

I might have to do some math I guess.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 04:19:42 am »

Well, some (very rough) math. Say the chances to collide both Hagglers are 1/3. The chances to collide both Foragers are probably also 1/3 then (roughly, at least). Then the chances for "bad hands" are:

P(Hagglers collide) + P(Hagglers don't collide & Foragers collide) = 1/3 + 2/3*1/3 = 5/9

Okay, Forager chances might be swayed a bit by assuming that the Hagglers don't collide, but not a lot I think. So there's a >50% chance of bad draws.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 04:48:56 am »
+5

Anyways, I think that's what is going on here: you and SCSN (and maybe DG? Not sure where he stands on this) seem to have a certain set of priorities here for deck building:

Priority 1: Gain a butt-load of good cards that are helpful for drawing deck (Menagerie is a part of this but not the backbone of it -- Bazaar/Smithy enters into this equation (I'm not trying to say my Smithy was right, I'm just saying I got it too soon))
Priority 3: Don't lose the Vineyards split, but have a bunch more Action cards than my opponent.

I want to address something here.

The way you order these priorities makes it seem like you have an ordered list of rules you follow. Can I achieve priority 1 by doing this action? If so, do that. If I can't, or if I've already done priority 1, then can I do priority 2 with this action? And so on down the list.

Now, I'm not sure if that's your decision scheme, but if it is it's not a great way to choose what to do. These priorities you're specifying are intertwined. Doing well in one area can make the other naturally follow, and the things you want to do right now are going to change on every turn. On one turn you're going to favor trashing, and on another turn you'll favor buying more engine pieces, and figuring out when to make those switches is pretty much the game.

When you say Stef/SCSN's top priority is to trash all the starting cards, then overdraw their deck, I'd agree with that. It's also how I tend to play. However, these aren't competing goals, they're complimentary goals. As you trash out starting cards, you need fewer actions to draw your deck, because you have fewer cards total. Similarly, if you're drawing your deck every turn, then you can play a trasher every turn, and that lets you get thin fast. So, it's not trash THEN draw deck, it's trash AND draw deck. Heuristically, prioritizing trashing over getting draw cards gets you to that goal faster. When you trash, the actions you get to buy are less expensive, but the amount of cards those actions draw is often similar/only slightly worse, which gets more than made up for by the cards you trashed that shuffle.

So, I disagree with Priority 1 of buying draw cards, and Priority 2 of having Foragers munch away at cards. They're both going to happen at the same time anyways! A lot more often than you'd think, doing a trashing heavy approach lets you blunder into a very well-tuned draw deck. How do you trash quickly? You buy more trashers, or you play your trashers as often as possible. Doing the first isn't always worth it if you already have X Foragers (where X is often at least 2) or X Chapels (where X is almost always 1). So, how do you do the second? You cycle through your deck as fast as you can. How do you do that? Well, by trashing! (Which is why you buy trashers as early as you can afford to) Or, failing that, by buying cards that cycle you faster. In this game, that means Menagerie/Bazaar, or Smithy once you have the actions to support it. I've said this before and I'll say it again, cycling is king. Optimizing cycling is one of the weirdest, subtlest ways to get a deck that seems to always be 0.5-1 turn ahead of your opponent.

See MicQ's comment about the moment you are screwed. Sometimes you luck into cycling, which naturally lucks you into getting good trashing, which means you no longer need luck to get through your deck. It's lucky the first time, but the luck you need is dropping every time that happens because you're getting better probabilities thanks to the thinner deck you're getting along the way. And it's hard to get the 1 lucky snowballing turn if your deck doesn't have that be possible.

That's why I favor Bazaar over 2nd Haggler there
- Bazaar is 1 card more cycling that comes with some economy. The +1 card now gives marginally more trashing since I can draw a little deeper, which can grow to significantly more trashing. It may not always give you a raw #-trashed advantage but it can increase your chances of that happening.
- Haggler is not a cycling card, and I already have a Haggler, and the actions I could potentially gain from the 2nd aren't worth losing the +1 card I can get this shuffle because of the snowball effect. And if they collide I'm super sad.
- Bazaar gives you more of a chance to spike $8. Spiking $8 is HUGE here! Especially because you pretty much only hit $8 if you have Hagglers out, so you're gaining whatever you feel like on top of the Province for Tournament. Since you have no +Actions it's impossible to play 2 Hagglers, thus Bazaar is strictly better than a 2nd Haggler at hitting $8. Better if your Bazaar draws you into Haggler, around the same if it doesn't. That's the justification I'd use in game. In reality it's impossible for your deck to hit $8 that shuffle. But, buying Bazaar gives you more flexibility in setting up a deck that can hit $8 on the shuffle after that, since you can now hope to play 2 Hagglers in 1 turn.
- A 2nd Haggler only sets you up for a better shuffle afterwards if they don't collide and you get good money splits (note you're now forced to hit $5 for Bazaar and you can't do Bazaar gaining Smithy because of your 2nd Haggler terminal.) A Bazaar gives you more flexibility in the actions you want/can support, which is good with Haggler out. Haggler is a weird payload + engine builder hybrid and you've gotten too much payload too fast, you need the cycling support before the payload.

These may be compelling in a different order for you. But to me, the 1st + 2nd are 99% good enough to favor Bazaar over Haggler. The 3rd makes it certain to me, and the 4th is just a bonus.

In short, if I were in that position, my annotated reasoning would be
  • Trashing cards fast makes it easier to draw my deck and lets me play my actions more often
  • I can trash faster if I play my trashers more often
  • I can play my trashers more often if I maximize the # of cards I can see per turn
  • The best way I can do that given my current deck is to buy the Bazaar because I will naturally fall into lots of draw from my Menagerie once I Forager away enough things
  • A second Haggler is very greedy, is strictly worse at cycling through my deck than the Bazaar, and I need a little more time to activate Menageries anyways

(Edit: WOW that's a wall of text. I'll leave it like that because, well, I'm really not in a mood to edit it down to something nice and succinct right now.)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 04:50:46 am by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 06:24:59 am »
+1

Here its bit complicated to decide whats better as you need to calculate actual probability gain. How better would be 1/3 hag+baz t7 which is nice as you could buy province+bazaar or gold+bazaar to spike provinces later. Then you need to compare money distribution of 2 hagglers, which isn't clear as without hitting 5 it could be just extra menagerie which doesn't help that early on hitting 8.

Also priority 3 is wrong as vineyard is terrible card here. This game will end on piles bazaar/menagerie/tournament? piles, so your priority 3 is to have deck to win game by 3-piling.

Also you forgot priority 2.5 get two provinces ASAP, to get prize and also they could stop opponent dead.

Buying vineyards is too slow here, you need to get potions turn before. Also as both players should get 2 provinces for tournament its better to keep buying provinces and use hagglers to drain piles.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2015, 08:06:37 am »
+2

I want to address something here.

The way you order these priorities makes it seem like you have an ordered list of rules you follow. Can I achieve priority 1 by doing this action? If so, do that. If I can't, or if I've already done priority 1, then can I do priority 2 with this action? And so on down the list.

Now, I'm not sure if that's your decision scheme, but if it is it's not a great way to choose what to do.

Of course what I said was very simplified, but I think you're confirming my main suspicion that the people who disagree with my Haggler play are more disagreeing with the type of deck I want to build and less disagreeing with the tactical play.

The numbers, well, people have said some stuff about them. By adjusting my definition of a "bad draw" for the next shuffle, I've managed to convince myself that the only way I'm unhappy with the second Haggler over the Bazaar is when they collide, which has a 1/3 chance -- any other situation is either the same or much better for the Haggler (and when it's the same, that card has missed the shuffle). Given my position I think that was an appropriate risk to take so I'm going to stand behind that buy assuming that the deck I was trying to build is best.

Now I just have to be convinced that this deck that ignores Vineyards (or at least significantly prioritizes Prizes over them) is better. TBH, all of what people have said on this so far is just asserting that it's true and not really saying why. Maybe it's too much to ask to say why, maybe I just need to play more games with this kingdom, but man, Tournament is so important here and I'm going to hate every single one of those games.

theright555J

• Moneylender
  • Dragged into engines kicking and screaming!
  • Respect: +171
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 08:13:09 am »
+3

- Bazaar gives you more of a chance to spike $8. Spiking $8 is HUGE here! Especially because you pretty much only hit $8 if you have Hagglers out, so you're gaining whatever you feel like on top of the Province for Tournament.

After watching the video, a major issue is that Adam didn't prioritize getting a Province AT ALL. As a matter of fact, he insinuates from his verbal comments that he believes going for Prizes is a mistake on this board, and that his strategy is to use hagglers to get multiple cheaper engine components to fuel big Vineyards, pretty much ignoring Province altogether.  He even spikes 8 and doesn't get a Province!

To me, this is even a more important issue on this particular board than the trashing/drawing hierarchy.  Tournament certainly has issues with swinginess, and Adam pretty strongly disdains it on his broadcasts, but on this board ignoring the prizes is likely just a strategic mistake because:
1.  Princess is great here
2.  Unique cards are valuable for menagerie
3.  When overdrawing deck, the estates from Followers can act as Forager fuel
4.  Extra actions and economy give flexibility for provinces or vineyards

All this was said above in some way shape or form.  tl, dr: The strategic goal of ignoring prizes was more important than overall shuffle luck, and this was a major driver for the double haggler decision. If I've misrepresented you, Adam, feel free to flame me (I'm a big fanboy of yours)
Wondering what my name refers to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage_statistics

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 08:20:42 am »
+2

To be fair, I did say that Princess was good, and the time I had $8 and didn't get a Province, it was because Robz was getting Princess on the next turn anyways, in which case my win condition was to focus on big Vineyards and hope he stalls hard.

The Estate-gain from Followers, well, you don't need Followers to get Forager food, your opponent's Followers helps out with that just fine, and I figured the attack didn't really hurt because of Menagerie.

That's not to say that my priorities were correct, I just want to state where they were. I thought that Vineyards would be a much better payload and I thought that trying to get a bunch of Action cards (not necessarily ignoring Prizes, but prioritizing them less) would be better because Vineyards is amazing. It's really tough for me to believe that Vineyards are bad on this board.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2015, 09:30:32 am »
+2

It's not that Vineyards are bad here, it's that a "mostly go for Vineyards" strategy can never beat a "mostly go for a couple Provinces and drain the Prizes" strategy. Princess gives me a lot of pile control, and I can snap up a few Vineyards myself later if I need to, since a Potion is another unique card, and so is my first Vineyard.

Meanwhile, Haggler is something of a double edged sword for your Vineyards, because it's not like you want to be gaining a bunch of coppers. And Vineyards are clogging your deck more than Provinces are clogging mine, since I can discard them for Prizes and more Menagerie draw.

In general, I think you are just way underestimating the importance of the Prizes here, even Followers. Followers isn't as strong as usual obviously, but I'm still giving you a Curse, and you actually aren't drawing reliably enough to always get rid of it right away, especially if you start loading up on Vineyards and Coppers. The discard attack is no problem for you if you have Menagerie in hand or can get to it quickly, but it's still probably having a mildly annoying effect on you, on average. And it's drawing for me. It's a draw card I gained for free as I kept buying Provinces. Really, I'm using my Tournaments the same way you are using yours Hagglers, except I'm gaining higher quality cards.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2015, 09:40:44 am »
+1

ITT we learn Tournament is a strong card.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2015, 11:09:40 am »
+4

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2015, 01:32:05 pm »

Okay I think people have pounded this point hard enough but I can't resist pounding it harder.

No matter what, the best strategy is going to involve getting a Province and colliding it with Tournament ASAP. That lets you pound through Prizes, which are amazing whether you want more Provinces or transition towards Vineyards. Uncontested prizes should be obviously bad, and getting a Province a shuffle later can get pretty close to that scenario.

It's not a Vineyard vs Provinces dichotomy, it's a 1-2 Provinces + Vineyards vs mostly Provinces dichotomy. When Tournament is out, delaying Provinces is almost always losing, and Bazaar is better for that than Haggler in your position.

-Stef-

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2015, 09:57:22 am »
+1

"Dear f.ds, I bought a second haggler and everybody disagreed with me. Was it really wrong?"
      "Yes, buying a second haggler was wrong."
"But I wasn't trying to win the game! I just wanted to play with multiple hagglers in my deck!"
      "Buying a second haggler was certainly the right move."

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2015, 10:07:17 am »
+1

Sometimes it can be frustrating to try and get constructive feedback. It takes a thread like this for me to even figure out what people are telling me, at least I'm going through the effort to review my losses and try to get better. At least we got to this point, however silly the way we got here may seem.

If Tournament was a $4 Peddler, I think my Haggler buy would have been correct, but it isn't. After letting this sit for a while, I think this I'm OK letting this go under the category of "Adam is bad with Tournament and the answer is to play more Tournament games, but I'd rather just be bad with Tournament than play Tournament games because I hate the card so much."

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2015, 10:46:20 am »

I'm not contesting whether or not the tournament choices were bad, but as I recall you had a pretty high chance of haggler collision, so I was saying bazaar was better based on that.  It seemed pretty cut and dry.  You were going to want bazaars anyway, so getting second haggler later could have worked.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

-Stef-

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2015, 11:41:36 am »

If Tournament was a $4 Peddler, I think my Haggler buy would have been correct

I don't. Again, not close.

The only change to this board that makes me like that 2nd Haggler is removing menagerie. With menagerie on the board, the bazaar+smithy thing simply gets outclassed by forager+menagerie.
The forager+menagerie stage requires $3 hands and cycling, not terminals.

Oddly enough, it is the possibility of a late double/triple haggler that makes 'getting your under control' as strong as it is here. If you would remove haggler entirely, the forager+menagerie thing becomes weaker and I would consider going for some more bazaar/smithies earlier.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2015, 11:53:00 am »
+2

Sometimes it can be frustrating to try and get constructive feedback. It takes a thread like this for me to even figure out what people are telling me, at least I'm going through the effort to review my losses and try to get better. At least we got to this point, however silly the way we got here may seem.

If Tournament was a $4 Peddler, I think my Haggler buy would have been correct, but it isn't. After letting this sit for a while, I think this I'm OK letting this go under the category of "Adam is bad with Tournament and the answer is to play more Tournament games, but I'd rather just be bad with Tournament than play Tournament games because I hate the card so much."

It sounds like you are using your dislike for tournament as a crutch. It isnt hard at all to play reasonably well with tournament. Get a few tournaments, find a way to spike an early 8, and collect whatever prizes you think are best for the board asap. If you had had that mindset about the game, you may have played it better instead of the mindset of: i don't like tournament so I'm going to partly ignore its implications for the board.

In another recent game, you saw that black market was really powerful and even though you don't like to use it, you committed wholly to a black market strategy and ended up crushing your opponent. Your play there was a lot more attractive, because you figured out what you needed to do and you did it.

In short, don't let your personal feelings about the cards warp your commitment to pursuing the best strategy on a random board.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2015, 12:11:26 pm »

It sounds like you are using your dislike for tournament as a crutch. It isnt hard at all to play reasonably well with tournament. Get a few tournaments, find a way to spike an early 8, and collect whatever prizes you think are best for the board asap. If you had had that mindset about the game, you may have played it better instead of the mindset of: i don't like tournament so I'm going to partly ignore its implications for the board.

I thought the Tournament deck wouldn't be able to get through the Provinces before a Vineyard deck got a billion points. I feel like this is my main strategic shortcoming this game. If I had a better idea for the power level of Tournament I would have known it was good enough. I thought Vineyards would be better. You can call it what you want, maybe "crutch" is the right word in this particular case; if so, then I accept that. I don't think I'm taking a lazy way out here, after all, the whole reason this thread was made is because I take the time to re-watch all of my league matches and read what the chat has to say. I just have no desire to do what it takes to get better in this particular case. It just won't be fun for me. :(

In another recent game, you saw that black market was really powerful and even though you don't like to use it, you committed wholly to a black market strategy and ended up crushing your opponent. Your play there was a lot more attractive, because you figured out what you needed to do and you did it.

Are you talking about this game? -- I played horribly that game but I still won. If I have to play a game with a card I don't like, I don't think my personal feelings have ever affected my strategic decisions directly. Sure, they make me worse with those cards and I may make poor strategic decisions as a result, but I'm not going to look at a board and say "Black Market is good here, but I don't like it so I'm not going to go for it." Instead I'll say "I hate Black Market. Is it good here? No? Good, I feel better about not going for it."

As for these other claims that the Haggler would still be bad if Tournament wasn't Tournament, man I just straight-up disagree, with full knowledge of who I'm disagreeing with. 1/3 odds of collision is just fine with me in that position, I needed to catch up and I'd do that again in a heartbeat. Yes, Menagerie > Smithy on that board for most of the game but I still think the Haggler is better in that moment. It seems most of my disagreement with Stef is based on when to get the Haggler as opposed to if I want it at all. Man, we're both so confident that we're right and we disagree. Blech. What do you do about this? I just don't want to come across as closed-minded.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2015, 01:51:05 pm »
+2

I thought the Tournament deck wouldn't be able to get through the Provinces before a Vineyard deck got a billion points. I feel like this is my main strategic shortcoming this game. If I had a better idea for the power level of Tournament I would have known it was good enough. I thought Vineyards would be better. You can call it what you want, maybe "crutch" is the right word in this particular case; if so, then I accept that. I don't think I'm taking a lazy way out here, after all, the whole reason this thread was made is because I take the time to re-watch all of my league matches and read what the chat has to say. I just have no desire to do what it takes to get better in this particular case. It just won't be fun for me. :(

Are you talking about this game? -- I played horribly that game but I still won. If I have to play a game with a card I don't like, I don't think my personal feelings have ever affected my strategic decisions directly. Sure, they make me worse with those cards and I may make poor strategic decisions as a result, but I'm not going to look at a board and say "Black Market is good here, but I don't like it so I'm not going to go for it." Instead I'll say "I hate Black Market. Is it good here? No? Good, I feel better about not going for it."

As for these other claims that the Haggler would still be bad if Tournament wasn't Tournament, man I just straight-up disagree, with full knowledge of who I'm disagreeing with. 1/3 odds of collision is just fine with me in that position, I needed to catch up and I'd do that again in a heartbeat. Yes, Menagerie > Smithy on that board for most of the game but I still think the Haggler is better in that moment. It seems most of my disagreement with Stef is based on when to get the Haggler as opposed to if I want it at all. Man, we're both so confident that we're right and we disagree. Blech. What do you do about this? I just don't want to come across as closed-minded.

I just find it surprising that you could play so well on full random 2 player dominion and then also feel like you are weak with a card as powerful as tournament.

Maybe if someone had posted a tournament + menagerie entry in your 'neat and potentially useful card interactions' thread, this all could have been avoided :P 'tournament nonterminally generates unique cards for the deck while discarding duplicates.'

Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2015, 02:27:32 pm »

No matter what, the best strategy is going to involve getting a Province and colliding it with Tournament ASAP. That lets you pound through Prizes, which are amazing whether you want more Provinces or transition towards Vineyards.

[...]

It's not a Vineyard vs Provinces dichotomy, it's a 1-2 Provinces + Vineyards vs mostly Provinces dichotomy.

Vineyard doesn't require a single minded rush for actions here; getting a Province doesn't require you to go for only Provinces here.

With Haggler on board, Province gives you 1 action for free, so you're not even slowing down your action gains by much. Note that if you buy a $5 with Haggler out you can't gain a free Haggler or Bazaar, so Province-gaining-Haggler or Province-gaining-Bazaar is very, very strong.

Generally, diluting your strategy or doing 2 things at once is a bad idea, but in this scenario side-tracking for 1 turn to gain Province costs you much less than it normally would. Maybe Vineyard is worse than Provinces, I honestly don't know, but even in the Vineyard line I don't think you should take 2nd Haggler that early.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2015, 02:27:54 pm »
+4

Sometimes it can be frustrating to try and get constructive feedback.

All feedback one receives is a gift, but instead of expressed gratitude all I see are complaints about the packaging and not receiving exactly what was hoped for.

If Tournament was a $4 Peddler, I think my Haggler buy would have been correct

Bazaar over Haggler has nothing to do with Tournament and everything with getting to the point of exponential growth (drawing your deck each turn) as quickly as possible.

I thought the Tournament deck wouldn't be able to get through the Provinces before a Vineyard deck got a billion points. [...] I thought Vineyards would be better.

It's not a case of either going for Provinces or for Vineyards (and either way the decks you want to build are largely the same), it's about getting your engine up and running, then getting one or two Provinces for prizes and for blocking, then expanding your deck and your gamestate control, and only then make a decision about how you're going to win, which can involve any or all of "getting more Provinces", "getting Vineyards" and "ending it on 3-piles", where you exact choices are going to depend largely on what your opponent is doing.

In general, the main strength of Vineyards (and Fairgrounds) doesn't come from "ZOMG Vineyards", but from it giving you more options, thus favoring the kind of deck that is adaptable and has greater control over the gamestate (i.e. an engine).

Man, we're both so confident that we're right and we disagree. Blech. What do you do about this?

During the replay of a game after one of our post mortes, AI told me something like "nothing you could have said would have convinced me, but replaying it from your position made me see you were right at once". Or if you're more into the classics I'll cite Sophocles: "Knowledge must come through action; you can have no test which is not fanciful, save by trial."

Do with that what you want.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2015, 10:23:47 pm »

Reading this thread has been incredibly insightful for me, and I hope everyone reading this thread can take as much from this thread as I have.

Firstly, No one playing loads of Dominion is ever infallible. The more games a player plays, the more likely she is to not make mistakes. However, there will always be that chance of a mistake, and as she plays tougher and tougher opponents, the choices and actions taken become more and more subtle but just as (if not more) important to make and do correctly. I think everyone needs to realize that they can be wrong, and be open to correction. There's nothing wrong with being incorrect sometimes, or even all the time.

Secondly, and what naturally follows from the first insight, is that gleaning knowledge of the game never stops. As a direct result, I must take all criticism with utmost sincerity, and bring it into my next game where it is relevant. An example of this is the list of priorities, where I had always thought of 'Doing A, B...', and then 'Y' follows. My mind has been opened, much as it has been multiple times as I have played Dominion, and now I will think more about the natural flow of the game, and not as much about logical lists. Another example would be the concept of cycling discussed by Rubby.

Thirdly, again flowing directly from the second point, there is such an important element of Dominion that I have found that is vastly unappreciated. This element is the ability to take the game, and how you think about it having direct effects on your play. If Player Donald thinks Dominion is a game of luck, that's how Donald will approach the game when you win and lose. Following this train of thought, if you 'hate' a certain strategy, you'll be more apt to ignore it, even if it is the best play.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 3.134 seconds with 21 queries.