Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Play area  (Read 15334 times)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
Re: Play area
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2015, 05:17:53 pm »
+27

What about Dominion: Coup? You can buy cards without showing your Treasures, but any other player can challenge. If the player was lying, the buy fails, and the loser of the challenge gets a Curse.

belugawhale

• Moneylender
  • Something.
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2015, 05:40:12 pm »
+27

What about Dominion: Coup? You can buy cards without showing your Treasures, but any other player can challenge. If the player was lying, the buy fails, and the loser of the challenge gets a Curse.

I have no coin or treasure. I buy province, opponent challenges, I reveal Trader and gain a Silver.
removed by user

ephesos

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ephesos
  • Respect: +290
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2015, 10:13:06 pm »
+17

Me: I have 2 buys. I buy Province.
Opponent: Okay
Me: With my second buy, I buy Province.
Opponent: Alright, there's no way, I have to challenge that.
Me: show 2 Gold and one Silver
Opponent: Hah! Take a Curse.
Me: No, I was lying the first time and you failed to call me on it. This time, I was telling the truth. You take a Curse.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2015, 12:06:40 pm »
+1

Me: I have 2 buys. I buy Province.
Opponent: Okay
Me: With my second buy, I buy Province.
Opponent: Alright, there's no way, I have to challenge that.
Me: show 2 Gold and one Silver
Opponent: Hah! Take a Curse.
Me: No, I was lying the first time and you failed to call me on it. This time, I was telling the truth. You take a Curse.

Kenny vs. Spenny

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2015, 09:47:55 am »
+7

From now on, I'm just going to warn players that, for their first game, I'm going to be incredibly pedantic, and they're going to hate me for it, but when they play every other game after the first, they'll be glad that I did.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2015, 12:04:00 pm »

I'm a big stickler for correct play. I usually will try to explain why something matters in relation to some card that they haven't seen yet or have forgotten about, like making sure they play their treasures because the order matters with Bank for example. I'm sure I get plenty of eye rolls and sighs but it makes things go more smoothly in the long run.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2015, 07:02:41 pm »
+3

A similar issue I've had with people that I don't think I've seen mentioned here is people who, at the start of their turn, put cards they don't want to (or can't) use into their discard pile. Usually victory cards. Some people just do it at the start of their buy phase. In both cases I remind them it's wrong, but often this is rebutted by "why does it matter?" to which I either have to hope a: a relevant card is in the kingdom (easy enough for start of turn but harder for start of buy phase) or b: that I can convince them they should do it because it sometimes matters. Which often works but not always.

Edit: Scumslipped and used < brackets > not [ brackets ]
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2015, 07:05:41 pm »
+3

A similar issue I've had with people that I don't think I've seen mentioned here is people who, at the start of their turn, put cards they don't want to (or can't) use into their discard pile. Usually victory cards. Some people just do it at the start of their buy phase. In both cases I remind them it's wrong, but often this is rebutted by "why does it matter?" to which I either have to hope a: a relevant card is in the kingdom (easy enough for start of turn but harder for start of buy phase) or b: that I can convince them they should do it because it sometimes matters. Which often works but not always.

Better whip out the Haunted Woods.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2015, 07:54:17 pm »

For at the start of the turn all you have to do is point to any card that draws cards; and explain reshuffling. For the start of the buy phase, it's trickier.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2015, 08:14:27 pm »
+1

For at the start of the turn all you have to do is point to any card that draws cards; and explain reshuffling. For the start of the buy phase, it's trickier.

Loan (might reshuffle), Venture (might reshuffle), Philosopher's Stone (cares how many you have in discard), Inn (when-gain that makes you reshuffle), Doctor (when-buy: might reshuffle), Hovel (when-buy: might reshuffle), Haunted Woods (when-buy).

More unusual: Watchtower (could trash Cultist or Rats on when-gain, then might reshuffle - weird to do in buy phase though), Herald (overpay: the cards you discarded shouldn't be available to put on your deck - but you probably wouldn't want to anyway).

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2015, 09:22:30 pm »
+1

Loan (might reshuffle), Venture (might reshuffle), Philosopher's Stone (cares how many you have in discard), Inn (when-gain that makes you reshuffle), Doctor (when-buy: might reshuffle), Hovel (when-buy: might reshuffle), Haunted Woods (when-buy).

More unusual: Watchtower (could trash Cultist or Rats on when-gain, then might reshuffle - weird to do in buy phase though), Herald (overpay: the cards you discarded shouldn't be available to put on your deck - but you probably wouldn't want to anyway).

Right but the point is that in your average game, and especially your average game with beginners, it is likely that none of those cards will be in the game.  But most games will have at least 1 card that can draw.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2015, 09:44:33 pm »
+4

*bangs fists on table*

IT JUST MATTERS, DAMMIT
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2015, 10:01:14 pm »
+3

*bangs fists on table*

IT JUST MATTERS, DAMMIT

THAT'S IT WE ARE PLAYING MONOPOLY
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2015, 10:29:29 pm »

*bangs fists on table*

IT JUST MATTERS, DAMMIT

THAT'S IT WE ARE PLAYING MONOPOLY

Well, you have a monopoly with that train of thought. While monopolies are considered bad for economic reasons, this time, it's bad for another reason... Speaking of reason, come back to it!
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2015, 10:31:46 pm »
+1

Speaking of reason, come back to it!

But I prefer FL Studio.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2015, 10:32:21 pm »

Speaking of reason, come back to it!

But I prefer FL Studio.

I use Logic, myself. Much better than Reason. I don't know why you consider yourself a Fruit Loop.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2015, 07:08:25 am »

Yes, pretty much. What I do is look for any card that it'll matter for. Start of turn is easy, as you say - any drawing card, almost all sifting cards, cards that interact with your hand size, discard pile or deck in some way, whatever. Loads of stuff this can matter for. Start of buy phase requires much more specific cards, such as Philosopher's Stone, Loan, Inn and so on.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2015, 01:16:00 pm »
+1

How does the when-buy on Hovel cause a reshuffle?  It cares about being in your hand during the buy phase though.  Farmland also cares about what's in your hand.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2015, 01:32:08 pm »
+1

I think he means the shelter that draws when trashed.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2015, 01:54:33 pm »

Right but the point is that in your average game, and especially your average game with beginners, it is likely that none of those cards will be in the game.  But most games will have at least 1 card that can draw.

I know, but I wanted to catalog the ones I could think of.

Oh and I thought of a corner case for Herald: You have a Tournament in your deck, and a Province in your hand. If you could discard the Province, you could overpay for Herald to put the Province on top. Or, you have two buys and a Province in your hand. If you could discard the Province, you could buy a Tournament and overpay for Herald to put the Province and the Tournament on top.

How does the when-buy on Hovel cause a reshuffle?  It cares about being in your hand during the buy phase though.  Farmland also cares about what's in your hand.

Right, I was mixing up Hovel and Overgrown Estate, creating a hybrid in my mind. But as you said, it could matter if you discard Hovel, and also Farmland.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.