Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 36  All

Author Topic: Tavern Brawl Discussion  (Read 213408 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Tavern Brawl Discussion
« Reply #675 on: May 11, 2016, 01:50:30 pm »

Obviously Innervate/Wild Growth.  I'll have 10 mana on turn 5!

You'll die from fatigue way before turn 5! though.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: May 11, 2016, 02:39:42 pm »

Knife Juggler+Forbidden Ritual worked wonders for me.
So far I've only lost to Murloc Tidecaller+Murloc Tidehunter.

Edit: Still strong, but not as powerful as I originally thought it to be.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 08:51:36 pm by LostPhoenix »

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: May 11, 2016, 05:05:53 pm »

My Naturalize + Coldlight Oracle deck seems really strong.

edit: started running into mechwarper, funny but very bad matchup.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 05:50:37 pm by Rabid »
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: May 11, 2016, 05:54:20 pm »

Mechwarper hunter lost to hogger innervate Druid. The amount of decks is astounding me. Best brawl in a long time.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: May 11, 2016, 06:04:16 pm »

Fun brawl. Naturalize + Coldlight Oracle is maybe the scariest to face because if you're not running a counter, you get absolutely _destroyed_. Tinyfin+Everyfin should be a decent counter but I haven't drawn the druid mill with that yet.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #680 on: May 11, 2016, 06:08:10 pm »

Naturalize + Coldlight Oracle is maybe the scariest to face because if you're not running a counter, you get absolutely _destroyed_.

I'm in the middle of playing a mirror match of that right now. It's hilarious. Some might even call it spectacular!

I also got totally rekt by a Target Dummy/Bolster earlier.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 06:10:41 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: May 11, 2016, 06:10:01 pm »

I went with Innervate+Yogg Saron. Most probably not the best deck, but, it makes interesting things happen.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: May 11, 2016, 06:27:20 pm »

I also got totally rekt by a Target Dummy/Bolster earlier.
Yeah, it's a mostly better version of the tinyfin+everyfin deck, although loss of totems hurts a bit. Seems really crazy.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: May 11, 2016, 06:28:47 pm »

Lol, I just made exactly that deck (target dummy+bolster)

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: May 11, 2016, 06:44:05 pm »

Dummy/Bolster is bonkers. The only deck I've seen that I think might be favored is Innervate/Deathwing, but that seems worse as an overall deck. The weakness of Dummy/Bolster is that you have almost no sustain after the initial aggro burst, so any deck that can clear your board even once should do OK, but it's hard to do that in time.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: May 11, 2016, 07:05:15 pm »

Never mind dummy/bolster, the premiere snowball deck so far is mechwarper/leaper. But I lost against ice block / fireball first time I tried playing it, so it's not auto-win.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: May 11, 2016, 07:47:43 pm »

Block/fireball is actually nuts. It sounds terrible but because of how the math works out, basically if you ever start your turn with 5 cards after the draw, you win almost 100% against most decks. Just make sure you mulligan for ice blocks.

It does lose against coldlight naturalize if you don't draw enough fireballs, though. Also the theory for classes with healing powers is complicated and I haven't worked it out--it might be that you lose 100% to warriors if they play right, not sure.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 07:49:20 pm by blueblimp »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: May 11, 2016, 07:59:38 pm »

Block/fireball is actually nuts. It sounds terrible but because of how the math works out, basically if you ever start your turn with 5 cards after the draw, you win almost 100% against most decks. Just make sure you mulligan for ice blocks.

It does lose against coldlight naturalize if you don't draw enough fireballs, though. Also the theory for classes with healing powers is complicated and I haven't worked it out--it might be that you lose 100% to warriors if they play right, not sure.

A friend of mine thought of the fireball ice block, then right after I faced it on "ladder." I haven't lost to it, but they were games where my opponent clearly didn't draw enough ice blocks.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: May 11, 2016, 08:27:16 pm »

Too bad about block/fireball's ResidentSleeper factor. I just played a game against Innervate/Y'Shaarj where all 7 of his Y'Shaarj would play their animation at the end of every turn. Zero decision-making worth mentioning, and came down to a coinflip of whether I draw an ice block on the second last turn (I did).

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: May 11, 2016, 08:36:48 pm »

The first deck I thought of was Ice Block / Ice Lance. I played against an Innervate / Coldlight Oracle deck which played 7 Oracles on turn 1, but managed to stabilize and one-shotted him from 28 health + 4 armor on turn 13 or so.

I think Fireball is better in most cases, though.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: May 11, 2016, 08:47:14 pm »

With a good draw and going second, Murloc Tidecaller/Murloc Tinyfin with Warlock beats Mechwarper/Leaper. I won my first game against a Warper/Leaper deck right after they emptied their hand.

The problem is that it's more fragile, I don't think it wins if you go first, and it probably loses to Dummy/Bolster.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: May 11, 2016, 08:55:33 pm »

Interesting thing happens with a golden card. Not all copies are golden...
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: May 11, 2016, 09:48:32 pm »

The first deck I thought of was Ice Block / Ice Lance. I played against an Innervate / Coldlight Oracle deck which played 7 Oracles on turn 1, but managed to stabilize and one-shotted him from 28 health + 4 armor on turn 13 or so.
Yeah, innervate/coldlight is amusingly terrible against block/fireball, because once they fill their board, they can't force draws anymore.

My overall feeling on this brawl is that I enjoyed it but it gets old fast. The big problem is that the gameplay itself tends to be unfun. The decks play themselves and you tend to either have instant concedes (with empty-your-hand decks) or long brainless grinds (with block decks). My most recent match was against a player running a block/lance deck who decided to rope every turn, and that really killed any desire in me to queue up for another. (I won because I was playing dummy/bolster, and that hard counters the block decks, but each turn all I'd get to do is wait for his turn to run out, press armor up and pop his block, repeat 10 times...)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 09:49:45 pm by blueblimp »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: May 12, 2016, 12:00:47 am »

I played Mind Blast/Holy Nova.  It's too fast for any of the Druid Coldlight Oracle decks, but I was flattened by an Innervate/Y'Shaarj.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: May 12, 2016, 12:42:53 am »

I played Mind Blast/Holy Nova.  It's too fast for any of the Druid Coldlight Oracle decks, but I was flattened by an Innervate/Y'Shaarj.

For the hell of it (and because I had a Priest quest) I tried out Mind Blast/Light of the Naaru.  It wasn't going to beat Leaper, but it was fun for 3 wins.

Got destroyed by a Mage playing Thalnos/Arcane Missiles.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: May 12, 2016, 01:12:51 am »

For the hell of it (and because I had a Priest quest) I tried out Mind Blast/Light of the Naaru.  It wasn't going to beat Leaper, but it was fun for 3 wins.

Got destroyed by a Mage playing Thalnos/Arcane Missiles.

Hmm.  Could do Kobold Geo and AM.

In other news, I ran Innverate/Ironbark Protector.  It made a Target Dummy Warrior concede.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 01:13:57 am by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: May 12, 2016, 01:54:01 am »

I also did Coldlight/Naturalize.  If your opponent plays minions, you can Naturalize them; if they don't, Naturalize your own Coldlights.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: May 12, 2016, 01:59:57 am »

This tavern brawl sucks. If you play a fun pair you get destroyed, if you play a cheap combo, you can win. And playing the games with a cheap combo is no fun at all.
I played several games before getting my pack, and I don't think I'll bother playing any more of this one.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: May 12, 2016, 03:55:35 am »

I was messing around with Light Warden + Voodoo Doctor. Doing some math suggests that it's flat out worse than Mechwarper + Metaltooth Leaper. I think Auchenai + Circle of Healing beats Mechwarper + Metaltooth Leaper if Auchenai + Circle goes second. Circle will always at least 1-for-1 while Auchenai will 2-for-1, and the combo can be coined out on Turn 3 to respond to the Hunter's Turn 3 board spam. of course, Auchenai + Circle will just lose of Coldlight shenanigans.

We had discussed the 30-copies-of-one-card game, and I guess this is almost like that.

Edit: It's funny how you can make decks to specifically counter other decks. Like, Secret Keeper + Eye for an Eye will beat Fireball + Ice Block, but it will probably lose to everything else.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 04:06:20 am by markusin »

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: May 12, 2016, 06:41:44 am »

I beat target dummy bolster with fiery bat/kill command, but that was the only game I won with that deck. I almost beat innervate/y'saraj with it but drew first bat instead of kill command on my last turn.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 36  All

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 21 queries.