Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 36  All

Author Topic: Tavern Brawl Discussion  (Read 213426 times)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: Tavern Brawl Discussion
« Reply #625 on: March 24, 2016, 09:55:58 pm »

Kel Thuzard is 6/8.
He's 6/8 what?  Whatever I did, it was unintentional (and therefore twice as awesome).

Ket'Thuzad is a Minion with 6 attack and 8 health, which is short-handed to 6/8 stats.
oh. I should've guessed that. The only time I've heard of him is from this Tavern Brawl though, so I've never seen his card (at least not that I remember).

That isn't too surprising. On rare occasion you might come across him during gameplay. He's sort of iconic as many of us here experienced the Curse of Naxxramas Adventure where Kel'Thuzad was the end boss (just like Rafaam is the end boss of the League of Explorers adventure).

He actually saw a lot of play when Naxx came out, and survived a while in GvG in slower Druid lists. He's very unique as a card and a lot of fun. It's a shame he's rotating out because he'd be so fun in a slow meta.
Yeah, and at 8 mana he'd be coming out sooner than those Old Gods to snatch up those wins. I know I used him a bit in some of my Paladin decks.

He's beastly in Arena. As far as I remember, all cards are accessible in Arena.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 24, 2016, 10:10:47 pm »

He'll still be in arena where he's a fairly strong pick in all classes if you are even or ahead on board. If you'e behind he won't be the best, but even if you're only slightly behind with weaker minions, he's pretty insane in arena.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 25, 2016, 06:08:24 am »

He's beastly in Arena. As far as I remember, all cards are accessible in Arena.

That will be how it works, with the exception that C'thun synergy cards will not be draftable.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: March 25, 2016, 06:35:03 am »
+1

Promo cards (murk-eye, gelbin, etc, captain's parrot) are also not in arena

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: March 30, 2016, 06:48:34 pm »

another blah brawl. No minions under 7 mana cost allowed in your deck. This heavily favors the people who have the fancy 7+ cost minions. The only non-basic 7+ minions I have are Captured Jormonger and North Sea Kracken.
I think it'd be a lot better if it was 6+ minions for more options.
I was able to get my pack after three or four games. might not play any more of this one.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: March 30, 2016, 08:32:34 pm »

another blah brawl. No minions under 7 mana cost allowed in your deck. This heavily favors the people who have the fancy 7+ cost minions. The only non-basic 7+ minions I have are Captured Jormonger and North Sea Kracken.
I was able to get my pack after three or four games. might not play any more of this one.

Dude, just run Paladin with a couple Musters and some Secrets (which are all Common).  You'll be the only one with minions on the board for the first 6-7 turns.  You might even win in that time.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: March 30, 2016, 08:49:43 pm »

Dude, just run Paladin with a couple Musters and some Secrets (which are all Common).  You'll be the only one with minions on the board for the first 6-7 turns.  You might even win in that time.

He likely doesn't have any Musters.  Aren't those Epic?  Rare at best.  He's just starting out still.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 30, 2016, 09:11:34 pm »

Druid seems pretty neat so far. Raven Idol, Power of the Wild, and Living Roots get you minions sooner, and you have tons of ramp to get to 7 mana first. (And if you have the cards, FoN + Savage Roar is still a thing.)
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: March 30, 2016, 09:34:11 pm »

Druid seems pretty neat so far. Raven Idol, Power of the Wild, and Living Roots get you minions sooner, and you have tons of ramp to get to 7 mana first. (And if you have the cards, FoN + Savage Roar is still a thing.)

I played hunter. Has Animal Companion, deadly shot, hunter's mark and a bunch of low cost weapons. I beat druids, but the competition seemed matched evenly.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 31, 2016, 01:33:29 am »

Agreed.  I built my deck around those minion summon spells, attack spells like Bite and Claw, the combo, and Troggzor.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 31, 2016, 02:07:45 am »

He likely doesn't have any Musters.  Aren't those Epic?  Rare at best.  He's just starting out still.
I have one Muster, and I used it, but they get wiped out pretty quick. (it's a rare)
I tried a paladin deck and a druid deck and I think I went 1-3 with each one.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 31, 2016, 08:52:55 pm »

Been playing Legend Warrior. Spells clear any early spell spawned minions. Troggzor, Alex, Rag, Rafaam, Boom, it just goes on and on. The only loss so far out of 12 games was to a Warrior running just weapons and damage spells like Bash.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 31, 2016, 10:37:42 pm »

Oh yeah, kel thuzad. Whenever I get him out the opponent just concedes.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: April 01, 2016, 11:38:46 pm »
+2

I am just a beginner, but I found Mage to work very well in this tavern brawl.
I managed to win 4 out of 4 plays despite not having any 7+ minions besides the starters.
There's a lots of secrets to pile on before the 7 mana point.  Mirror entity works very well because you know you are going to get an expensive minion out of it. You could drop the oponnent's health with spells such as fireball.  Once your opponent can start dropping minions, you can easily freeze them with frost nova or frostbolt, or simply polymorph them. Then you can drop your own minions in the meantime.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: April 02, 2016, 01:48:09 am »

Yeah Mage I good because of all the basic, common and rare spells that a lot of players have. And mirror entity shuts down a lot of plays.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: April 03, 2016, 05:39:06 pm »
+1

Awesome brawl, one of better ones, and I actually played more than 1 win (20+ actually) and that is rare.

Many classes are viable. (which is also rare). Druids can ramp to 7 easily, also have idols and ways to get tokens before turn 7. Priests have Mind Games, Ressurect and other fun options. Hunter you can play aggro with no high drops. Shaman you can play burn, mage can play burn too etc.

I racked up a lot of wins with Mindgames Priest, later I switched to aggro hunter with no 7+ except 1 Majordormo to troll Priests. Also 2 flares to troll mages.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: April 03, 2016, 07:26:31 pm »

That main issue with this brawl is that it is literally unplayable for new players. Not just unfair, but potentially you don't even have cards to make a deck.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: April 03, 2016, 11:02:47 pm »

That main issue with this brawl is that it is literally unplayable for new players. Not just unfair, but potentially you don't even have cards to make a deck.

Yeah I found that to be a troubling issue as well. It seems to me like adding 5-6 Mana or even just 6 Mana Minions would have wrecked the feel of the Brawl though. Maybe they should have limited it to only 5-7 mana Minions or something.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: April 04, 2016, 12:40:12 am »

Yeah I found that to be a troubling issue as well. It seems to me like adding 5-6 Mana or even just 6 Mana Minions would have wrecked the feel of the Brawl though. Maybe they should have limited it to only 5-7 mana Minions or something.

I think it's fine to have this brawl. Just as long as most of the brawls are accessible. This brawl is interesting, and brawl also appeals to veteran players.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #644 on: April 04, 2016, 05:39:30 am »

Well, usually they alternate between brawls where you have to build a deck out of your own collection and brawls where you don't, to make half of them more accessible to newbies. So if you couldn't really do very well this brawl, at least you'll probably have a chance again next time.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: April 04, 2016, 06:38:35 am »

You'd think they've have done a vanilla brawl by now (no cards with text on them allowed) or an all commons brawl with some other restriction.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: April 04, 2016, 10:59:05 am »

Vanilla only brawl would be very boring. I think the crazy random ones are a little better, because people get to play with cards they don't have.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: April 04, 2016, 05:02:48 pm »

It is not literally unplayable. They can buy packs or craft cards for it.
And you can easily make decent Mage deck out of basically anything, they have so many good basic/common spells.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: April 15, 2016, 03:59:05 am »

No comments on the Tavern Brawl yet, which is strange.

The rule is only even mana spells, and only odd power minions. I tossed together a Patron Warrior - a lot of key cards are still around, and weapons aren't affected by the even mana restriction. (Although I'm only playing Fiery War Axe and Death's Bite anyways.)

Edit: You know, I actually forgot Frothing was a card. So okay, you're missing some stuff. In exchange, you get to dodge Flamestrike and Excavated Evil.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 04:23:40 am by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: April 15, 2016, 07:44:58 am »

No comments on the Tavern Brawl yet, which is strange.

The rule is only even mana spells, and only odd power minions. I tossed together a Patron Warrior - a lot of key cards are still around, and weapons aren't affected by the even mana restriction. (Although I'm only playing Fiery War Axe and Death's Bite anyways.)

Unashamed ripoff of kripparians first Challengestone. I assume they talked to him about it.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 36  All

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.