Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 36  All

Author Topic: Tavern Brawl Discussion  (Read 213494 times)

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
Re: Tavern Brawl Discussion
« Reply #425 on: December 05, 2015, 11:33:43 am »

I got the brawl daily. I've warmed up to the format after being forced to play it. I'd say I can do about a 70% win rate. I still think the games run way too long.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 05, 2015, 05:03:50 pm »

It said "When you play a card, it goes into your deck." But it obviously also goes into your deck if you don't play it.  So I thought you could multiply them.  I see now that's not how it works.  The expllanation was a bit confusing I think.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 06, 2015, 12:30:16 am »

I'd like to see this brawl return later with some tweaks. Maybe it's just from having experience with Dominion and other deck builders, but I feel like you should be offered more tools for managing your deck. These exist in Hearthstone, but they aren't offered very often. For example, trashers (e.g. Soulfire), gainers (e.g. Jeweled Scarab), junkers (e.g. Mechanical Yeti, sort of).

Edit: By the way, I wonder whether Peter Whalen had a hand in this one. It could signal that Blizzard has a deck-building mode in the works. After all, the discover mechanic was intended to be previewed in a brawl before League of Explorers was announced.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 12:38:16 am by blueblimp »

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 06, 2015, 08:28:31 am »
+2

I'd like to see this brawl return later with some tweaks. Maybe it's just from having experience with Dominion and other deck builders, but I feel like you should be offered more tools for managing your deck. These exist in Hearthstone, but they aren't offered very often. For example, trashers (e.g. Soulfire), gainers (e.g. Jeweled Scarab), junkers (e.g. Mechanical Yeti, sort of).

Edit: By the way, I wonder whether Peter Whalen had a hand in this one. It could signal that Blizzard has a deck-building mode in the works. After all, the discover mechanic was intended to be previewed in a brawl before League of Explorers was announced.

Somebody made a reddit thread:
If you liked this brawl, try this games:
Dominion, Thunderstone, etc..

And Ben Brode replied:
Or Dreamquest! That was our inspiration, we liked it so much, in fact, that we hired the designer!

So, I'd say he does, at least a bit :D

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 16, 2015, 04:23:57 pm »

This brawl is the weirdest brawl yet. Each turn, if you don't have one already, your board spawns a 0 mana 0/4 crate with deathrattle that gives the _current_ player a 1 mana discover-a-card spell. You end up with this mess of players trying to kill their own cards.

The best class seems to be Warlock, on account of having the most tools to activate his own crates: Power Overwhelming, Soulfire, Shadow Bolt, Shadowflame, Twisting Nether, Void Terror, and some others.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 16, 2015, 05:00:07 pm »
+1

Keep in mind the card that comes out of the gift is from the class of the player you got it from.  And its cost is reduced by 5.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 16, 2015, 05:38:30 pm »
+1

Keep in mind the card that comes out of the gift is from the class of the player you got it from.  And its cost is reduced by 5.

Im not sure it's every class card though. I never encountered super low cost cards from gifts. They all seemed to be 5 or more base cost. Which means classes like rogue, which I thought would be good since they have a bunch of bad low cost cards, and even some useless ones, is actually terrible, because things like Gallywix appear more often.

If Warlock is the best, is there a counter to it? Or should everyone play warlock?

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 16, 2015, 08:31:51 pm »

Each crate that you kill is worth gives you a five mana discount for just 1 in discover cost. Warlock is great at picking up crates and denying your opponents, so it's likely just the class.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 17, 2015, 01:01:25 am »
+1

So you can pull Twisting Nether from a Warlock crate, which gives you both crates.

I think there's going to be a lot of Warlock vs Warlock action...

Edit: LOL, they even changed Jaraxxus's greeting for Winter Veil!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 02:01:39 am by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 17, 2015, 01:38:28 am »
+1

Priest seems usable too though. You can do Divine Spirit and Inner Fire shenanigans. Velen's Chosen and Confuse are also useful.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: December 17, 2015, 02:44:14 am »

I never encountered super low cost cards from gifts. They all seemed to be 5 or more base cost.
That would explain why it feels like an endless parade of Mal'Ganis and Twisting Nether. In a Warlock mirror, it might be correct to just keep taking Twisting Nether and try to exhaust your opponent's deck.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 17, 2015, 02:52:59 am »

I played once with Lock as I saw here, beat a warrior with his own Dr. Taunt Booms.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 17, 2015, 09:17:09 am »

I've been playing Druid, since I had the quest.  Locks should definitely be running Sacrifical Pact, since you know your opponent is going to be getting some Demons.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 17, 2015, 09:21:09 pm »

I ran warlock at first but had 2 quests for 60 Gold each involving paladin so I threw something together that seems unbeatable. Pretty sure Paladin has the better cards for this brawl. I have gone 10-0 with the deck and well over half were Warlock opponents.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 09:35:04 pm by pingpongsam »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 17, 2015, 11:21:16 pm »

Warlock seems way better then other classes. I run all the stuff to kill my own minions, and sacrificial pact. People are generally not playing the brawl well so far, with Paladins just playing minions, and Priests playing buffs on gifts that won't attack this turn.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 17, 2015, 11:48:53 pm »
+2

I buffed a gift that can't attack yet too.  Summoning sickness is kinda subtly animated in Hearthstone. 

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 17, 2015, 11:54:33 pm »

I buffed a gift that can't attack yet too.  Summoning sickness is kinda subtly animated in Hearthstone.

Oh I've done it too. More than once with Abusive seargent. But turn 3 velens onto your only minion that just flew onto your board, I mean, that's a hard mistake to make more than once.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 18, 2015, 03:40:49 pm »
+1

Warlock seems way better then other classes. I run all the stuff to kill my own minions, and sacrificial pact. People are generally not playing the brawl well so far, with Paladins just playing minions, and Priests playing buffs on gifts that won't attack this turn.

Funny there are very few minions in my Paladin deck. I mean the good stuff comes from the gifts. The deck is a means to acquire the gifts. Really the strategy is to deprive your opponent of the opportunity to acquire gifts on his turn. The rest works out on its own when you do this.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 18, 2015, 06:49:04 pm »

Funny there are very few minions in my Paladin deck. I mean the good stuff comes from the gifts. The deck is a means to acquire the gifts. Really the strategy is to deprive your opponent of the opportunity to acquire gifts on his turn. The rest works out on its own when you do this.

Fine, I'll bite: what are you playing?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 19, 2015, 01:32:21 pm »

Blessing of Might 2
Humility 2
Sacred trial 2
Abusive sargeant 1
Equality 2
Annoy o tron 1
Doomsayer 1
Nerubian Egg 2
Shielded mini bot 2
Sword of Justice 1
Muster 1
Seal of Champions 2
Aldor peacekeeper 1
Scarlett purifier 1 (should probably make this 2 and give up a minibot or keeper of uldman, these are super effective when played right)
True silver 1 (2 would be okay here too, maybe give up sword of justice)
Blessing of Kings 1 (2 would be okay here too)
Consecration 2 (could just use 1 if you want not as amazing in this format)
Hammer of Wrath 1
Keeper of Uldaman 2 (negotiable, really just playing them for the experience but get good mileage out of them)
Avenging Wrath 1 (you will get more as gifts)
Hogger (recent pack opened, great in this format for spewing taunts)

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 19, 2015, 05:54:09 pm »
+1

I dunno, I got a double Rogue daily and threw together a Rogue deck and went on a ridiculous win streak too so I'm starting to think maybe the majority of people just don't know how to play this format well.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 23, 2015, 04:35:04 pm »

I really would have preferred this week's Brawl to have been "flip a coin."  I would have gotten through my "Win 5 Brawls" quest in just as many games, but without the lack of actual interesting gameplay.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 23, 2015, 06:31:53 pm »

I really would have preferred this week's Brawl to have been "flip a coin."  I would have gotten through my "Win 5 Brawls" quest in just as many games, but without the lack of actual interesting gameplay.

Amen.
For me even the 1 win for pack was a nightmare.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 23, 2015, 06:53:08 pm »

Amen.
For me even the 1 win for pack was a nightmare.

This is the second time they have this brawl. Eh. Some people like randomness.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 23, 2015, 07:13:47 pm »
+1

On second thought, screw this game mode. I just got Pyro blast, fireball, fireball on me.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 36  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 21 queries.