Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 36  All

Author Topic: Tavern Brawl Discussion  (Read 213473 times)

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
Re: Tavern Brawl Discussion
« Reply #350 on: November 13, 2015, 11:20:00 pm »

I won my first game as Ragnaros.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 14, 2015, 12:20:05 am »

Nefarian can't actually lose right?  I had one Lay on Hands me for BM, for crying out loud.

Also had one T1 concede to me—not sure what that was about, as that's normally the correct play for Ragnaros.
Nefarian got a nerf since last time, as far as I know just starting with less mana. I don't have an opinion yet on balance but it's much closer than it was the last time around. (That isn't saying much, since the previous time, Nefarian was totally broken.)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #352 on: November 14, 2015, 02:27:48 am »

I played three games and Ragnaros won all 3.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 14, 2015, 06:40:21 am »

I am amazed.

The problem for Ragnaros is that he has no appropriately sized early game removal.  If Nefarian opens with something like a 7/7 dragon and can remove your first one or two Magma Ragers then you're such a huge disadvantage that it's very difficult to come back.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 14, 2015, 10:32:45 am »

Rag seems way stronger to me this time round.  His minions are still bonkers, and Nefarian definitely feels like he's been nerfed.
I mean if Nefarian gets a good spell or two from his HP, sure, but that doesn't actually happen that often.  I more often get Arcane missiles and such crud than anything actually useful; and Nefarians minions are severely average.
I lost a game the other day by drawing no minions as Nefarian for 6 turns or something, just drawing spells like useless shadowflames and HPing for spells, and 3 of the spells that came from the Hero Power were Ancestor's Call, which is obviously actively harmful when you have no minions.
The 8 mana whelp thing that Nefarian has is the biggest powerhouse it seems to me, mostly just because it draws the inevitable flamestrike so you can actually play midsize minions fairly safely.  Anything big you play as Nefarian in the late game just gets Ragsniped, you have to rely on flooding the board a couple times until it manages not to get wiped for once.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 14, 2015, 07:48:58 pm »

Yeah, I've played 3 times now, Rag has won all three times, twice as me, once as my opponent.

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 14, 2015, 08:23:53 pm »

Well, this explains the auto-concede, but not my 100% Nefarian/0% Ragnaros record.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 14, 2015, 10:23:08 pm »

I feel Nefarian is still stronger, but the balance is much like the hunter vs mage TGT brawl. One deck is stronger, but both can win games.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 19, 2015, 02:48:22 pm »

I actually like this Brawl a lot. Lots of neat decision making. Should you tempo out and try to play out a bunch of cheap cards or should you try and get cards that will do better in the late game. I won my first try, but it's actually an interesting game mode.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 19, 2015, 02:51:50 pm »
+2

It's arena on the fly.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: November 19, 2015, 02:56:10 pm »

It's arena on the fly.

That's a pretty good description of it.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 21, 2015, 10:10:45 pm »

This is the first brawl that has any drafting component at all. I like it, although the games are really long, and I feel like the class legendaries get offered too much. (If you're Paladin for example, it's not unusual to have Tirion offered multiple times in the same game.) The long value games remind me a bit of how classic arena played out.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 22, 2015, 01:10:29 am »
+1

I think it's super super skill inensive.

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 22, 2015, 07:21:38 am »

This is the first brawl that has any drafting component at all. I like it, although the games are really long, and I feel like the class legendaries get offered too much. (If you're Paladin for example, it's not unusual to have Tirion offered multiple times in the same game.) The long value games remind me a bit of how classic arena played out.

I've been playing a lot of Rogue, and see frequent Edwins and Gallywixes.  I have at least once been offered two Edwins at the same time, which is odd because I think I've seen Brode or somebody say that that shouldn't really happen with Discover.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #364 on: November 22, 2015, 09:50:16 am »

I've been playing a lot of Rogue, and see frequent Edwins and Gallywixes.  I have at least once been offered two Edwins at the same time, which is odd because I think I've seen Brode or somebody say that that shouldn't really happen with Discover.

It's not the exact same mechanic as Discover, you can't apparently get weapons for some reason.

I feel like there is a massive first-player advantage here. I had to play two games before I won my first game for the pack, and later I got the 5 Brawls quest so I ended up playing a lot more than I usually do, and only one of those games was won by the second player (who was my opponent when I was playing Warrior before I knew that you can't get weapons, and that was an incredibly close game). It's hard to say if this is true though, since it doesn't really feel all that intuitive.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 22, 2015, 10:21:56 am »

I'm not sure about first player advantage.  Rogue with the coin is in a pretty good spot, as they have the option of trading 2 for 1 with dagger over the first few turns.  I haven't tracked my record carefully though.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 22, 2015, 10:48:06 am »

The fact that discovering a 1-drop is highly unlikely on the first turn, I'd say there's actually a second player advantage in this brawl.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #367 on: November 22, 2015, 10:54:25 am »

The fact that discovering a 1-drop is highly unlikely on the first turn, I'd say there's actually a second player advantage in this brawl.

The 2-drops in this brawl are basically guaranteed to trade up with 1-drops and down with 3-drops (since there's no point in discovering a 2-drop), so you usually wouldn't even want a 1-drop. Instead, what's pretty important is that you get to play your 3-drop first.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 25, 2015, 03:02:52 pm »

I like this one!  Just run an all minion deck and get tons of free spells!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 26, 2015, 12:46:38 am »

SNEED'S TIME HAS FINALLY COME GUYS!!!!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 26, 2015, 12:49:32 am »

Someone put millhouse in their deck.  So brilliant.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 26, 2015, 02:32:09 am »

There's a bug with summoning stone where it ignores cost modifiers.  Everyone is using it in this Brawl.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 26, 2015, 10:46:29 am »

There's a bug with summoning stone where it ignores cost modifiers.  Everyone is using it in this Brawl.
I noticed. I wonder if it's true for all cost modifiers, or just the Tavern Brawl special one.

My games in this Brawl typically went on forever. The game I won went to fatigue.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 26, 2015, 01:06:47 pm »

It took me a game to realize this, I expected my opponent to flood his board with Target Dummies and Wisps and then got runover.

I did end up winning without Summoning Stone by using Troggzor. Troggzor is super good in this Brawl too.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 26, 2015, 03:57:35 pm »

I noticed. I wonder if it's true for all cost modifiers, or just the Tavern Brawl special one.

My games in this Brawl typically went on forever. The game I won went to fatigue.
It's true for all cost modifiers, it was a known bug with Preparation before the Tavern brawl came out.  The card is just such garbage that even getting a minion a massive 3 mana bigger than it should be isn't enough for it to see a shred of constructed play.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 36  All

Page created in 0.606 seconds with 21 queries.