Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 36  All

Author Topic: Tavern Brawl Discussion  (Read 214855 times)

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
Re: Tavern Brawl Discussion
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2015, 04:21:13 pm »

Hm, good call. It looks like the 8 mana minions are actually better on average, since none of them have Battlecries, they all have decent stats, and a solid 5/11 of them have either Charge or Taunt or are Ragnaros.

8: http://www.hearthhead.com/cards=?filter=stat-cost-min=8;stat-cost-max=8
9: http://www.hearthhead.com/cards=?filter=stat-cost-min=9;stat-cost-max=9

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2015, 10:02:12 pm »

Best coincidence so far: Playing Force of Nature with 6 minions on the field, summoning an Argent Commander.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2015, 10:06:40 pm »

Some Druid spells are nice.  Soul of the Forest and Call of the Wild, especially.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2015, 10:39:04 pm »

Some Druid spells are nice.  Soul of the Forest and Call of the Wild, especially.
Man, I played an intense control matchup as Priest against a mean Druid running all sorts of removal and control. 2 Naturalizes, 2 Poison Seeds, 2 Recyles, a Tree of Life, and other big spells. I think the funniest part was when my opponent got Kidnapper after playing a Recycle, then I played Holy Fire and also got a Kidnapper.

I ended up winning in the end. Auchenai's really came in handy at key moments. This is one format where Nefarian probably surpasses Ysera.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2015, 10:41:14 pm »

Man, I played an intense control matchup as Priest against a mean Druid running all sorts of removal and control. 2 Naturalizes, 2 Poison Seeds, 2 Recyles, a Tree of Life, and other big spells. I think the funniest part was when my opponent got Kidnapper after playing a Recycle, then I played Holy Fire and also got a Kidnapper.

I ended up winning in the end. Auchenai's really came in handy at key moments. This is one format where Nefarian probably surpasses Ysera.

I haven't played against any class but Mage.  It's crazy, really.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2015, 11:41:45 pm »

Why are people playing Mirror Entity in this Brawl?  ??? I've already had two opponents sit on it for ages before finally copying my 2/1 Unstable Portal minion or something.

I guess the thinking is that, if you're playing a minion in your deck, it must be a good one.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2015, 02:21:22 am »

Druid is the clear winner. The amount of 6 cost spells is amazing, and they are good spells. Mage really isn't that good. Sure you can zerg the board up with cheap spells, but it's do easy for a Druid to just use Soul of the Forest or Power of the Wild to catch back up. Even Dark Whispers is really good as 5 wisps.

Coin Wild Growth is crazy, and even more crazy if you have Innervates to get PotW out.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2015, 02:23:08 am »

Why are people playing Mirror Entity in this Brawl?  ??? I've already had two opponents sit on it for ages before finally copying my 2/1 Unstable Portal minion or something.

I guess the thinking is that, if you're playing a minion in your deck, it must be a good one.

Actually I think it's that people see "spells summon minions" to mean play as many spells as you can, so they take their flamwaker mage and this it'll be good. But playing any minions is a loss in this format. You want to play big removal spells, or things that summon too many minions to handle. It's a control format, where slower decks can crush face rush decks.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2015, 02:26:49 am »

Opponent plays KT. I play Mind Control summoning Deathwing.

I mean, my board got cleared by Lightbomb next turn, but it was still great for a short while.

Edit: I'm liking Priest control a lot here. If you can stall until a point where you can play Mind Control, you get a free Sea Giant and/or Deathwing. Thoughtsteal is bonkers, Shadow Madness is bonkers. I just had a very strange Priest control mirror where we both knew the other had Mind Control, so no one wanted to play Mind Control because the other player steals the Sea Giant/Deathwing with their own. Eventually my board got too big and it forced the play.

Edit 2: People have pointed out that if you play Millhouse, although your opponent gets to empty their hand for free, they also only get Wisps/Target Dummies, so it might be worth it if you have one lying around.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 03:04:31 am by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2015, 08:10:36 am »

I mean, my board got cleared by Lightbomb next turn, but it was still great for a short while.

Edit: I'm liking Priest control a lot here. If you can stall until a point where you can play Mind Control, you get a free Sea Giant and/or Deathwing. Thoughtsteal is bonkers, Shadow Madness is bonkers. I just had a very strange Priest control mirror where we both knew the other had Mind Control, so no one wanted to play Mind Control because the other player steals the Sea Giant/Deathwing with their own. Eventually my board got too big and it forced the play.

Edit 2: People have pointed out that if you play Millhouse, although your opponent gets to empty their hand for free, they also only get Wisps/Target Dummies, so it might be worth it if you have one lying around.
What's tough about playing Priest is that they don't have enough good spells to fill almost their entire deck with them like Druid can. You need some Minions in there, and you gotta pick good ones. I was worried that Resurrect wouldn't be as good as usual since you may be playing low cost minions at the start, but thinking about it now it has potential to be quite good later on.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2015, 12:21:47 pm »

What's tough about playing Priest is that they don't have enough good spells to fill almost their entire deck with them like Druid can. You need some Minions in there, and you gotta pick good ones. I was worried that Resurrect wouldn't be as good as usual since you may be playing low cost minions at the start, but thinking about it now it has potential to be quite good later on.

I'll agree that Druid has more good spells at the higher cost range, but Priest spells are still good.

Deck I ended up with after around 5 games of tweaking: http://imgur.com/opXRHKr

I don't have Lightbomb, or else I'd run that for sure. This does have some board clear trouble, which is why I need to run Auchenai-Circle, but otherwise I've been liking it.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2015, 12:43:04 pm »

I've been doing the majority of my winning with Paladin. I had a daily today requiring either Mage or Shaman wins. I tried Shaman first and either Shaman is terrible in this format or I am terrible because I literally never play Shaman. I struggled to get the 5 Mage wins, probably 12 games?. Back to Paladin where I easily get 70+% winrate.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2015, 12:53:13 pm »

I'll agree that Druid has more good spells at the higher cost range, but Priest spells are still good.

Deck I ended up with after around 5 games of tweaking: http://imgur.com/opXRHKr

I don't have Lightbomb, or else I'd run that for sure. This does have some board clear trouble, which is why I need to run Auchenai-Circle, but otherwise I've been liking it.
Yeah I also ended up running Auchenai+circle. I should have used thoughtsteal in my deck. I didn't realize I'd be stealing spells. I have one copy of Lightbomb that I used.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2015, 12:58:06 pm »

I've been doing the majority of my winning with Paladin. I had a daily today requiring either Mage or Shaman wins. I tried Shaman first and either Shaman is terrible in this format or I am terrible because I literally never play Shaman. I struggled to get the 5 Mage wins, probably 12 games?. Back to Paladin where I easily get 70+% winrate.
I think Warlock and Warrior might have it even worse that Shaman. A lot of their good spells will damage the minions they summon, or else the spells have a low mana cost.

This Tavern Brawl manages to buff Warrior's Crush spell when it costs 7.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2015, 01:12:52 pm »

I played Priest with all spells:
Shadow Madness, Holy Nova, Mind Vision, Thought Steal, Mind Control, Light Bomb, SW:P, SW:D, Light of Naaru, Holy Smite, Holy Fire, Mass Dispel, Velen's Chosen, PW:S, Mind Blast.

30 cards.

Most of these cards speak for themselves, but some of them aren't great. Mind Blast and Mass Dispel are relatively weak in this mode, but they're good enough to run because Mind Blast works like a 2 drop, and can help you end the game, and Mass Dispel is situationally great, gives you a 4 drop, and replaces itself in your hand. Light of Naaru is surprisingly strong because it gives you 2 creatures for 1 spell and often lets you trade favourably at the same time, Resurrect is incredibly bad (I tried it and would not again, the quality of your creatures isn't good enough). Divine Spirit seems potentially good, but I haven't tried it yet.

A lot of the Priest spells are really good because they function in a similar way to BGH (remove a creature, gain a creature). Some of the others work pretty well because they're like a Shattered Sun Cleric (buff a creature, gain a creature).

I hadn't thought of Druid, but a mode in which having overpriced spells is actually a good thing is kindof funny.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2015, 01:12:56 pm »

I played 8 games with Mage and won all of them.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2015, 01:19:05 pm »

I hadn't thought of Druid, but a mode in which having overpriced spells is actually a good thing is kindof funny.

Nourish and Recycle in particular seem amazing in this mode. Bite seems finally playable. Savage Roar/FON finishes seem a lot easier to get when everything you do puts more minions on the board. I'm going to have to try this.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2015, 01:57:51 pm »

So, I threw together a Druid deck and sure enough it is just easy to play it on autopilot, downside being you and the other guy know exactly what is coming next. Have not tried Priest yet but the competition is either lousy or overpowering so I think it must be pretty draw dependent.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2015, 02:53:05 pm »
+1

Re: Whether Shaman is playable:

I don't think a typical midrange/control Shaman has much of a chance in this format. The only way you can really win is with a lucky Bloodlust; Shaman only has two spells which cost 4 or more, and a lot of their other spells are really situational.

However! Yesterday I lost to a Shaman with a really cool 2x Ancestor's Call deck. The first one brought out Chromaggus and gave me nothing, since I was running a spell-only Druid deck, and I couldn't deal with it for several turns. His second one summoned Enhance-o Mechano, which seems like a questionable but interesting inclusion, but by that point he was so far ahead that it didn't matter, and he just ran me over.

Ancestor's Call seems super potent in this format, what with all the spell-only decks running around. Malygos and Troggzor are probably the best target, but Ysera, Chromaggus, Sneed's, Al'akir, and Deathwing also seem pretty crazy.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2015, 04:48:25 pm »

Nourish and Recycle in particular seem amazing in this mode. Bite seems finally playable. Savage Roar/FON finishes seem a lot easier to get when everything you do puts more minions on the board. I'm going to have to try this.

Nourish especially.  5-drop and draw three cards.  Crazy.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2015, 05:04:27 pm »

Ancestor's Call seems super potent in this format, what with all the spell-only decks running around. Malygos and Troggzor are probably the best target, but Ysera, Chromaggus, Sneed's, Al'akir, and Deathwing also seem pretty crazy.
Sadly I don't have Ancestor's call or any of the legendaries you mentioned here besides Chromaggus. Such pay-2-win.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2015, 06:14:07 pm »

Favourite Twisting Neather spawns:

Kel'Thuzard and Tirion :D

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2015, 06:34:34 pm »

Favourite Twisting Neather spawns:

Kel'Thuzard and Tirion :D
The minions spawn before the spell is cast. Shouldn't they die to the Nether? That's what happens with Poison Seeds. Well, you'd still get Ashbringer in Tirion's case.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2015, 10:56:23 pm »

Yeah, Sneeds, not Kel.

I did pull of Tirion + Nether once. It is awesome.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2015, 10:59:19 pm »

Yeah, Sneeds, not Kel.

I did pull of Tirion + Nether once. It is awesome.
The best would be Sneed's that drops Kel'.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 36  All

Page created in 1.883 seconds with 20 queries.