Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Thief Comeback  (Read 2326 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
Thief Comeback
« on: June 17, 2015, 02:00:49 pm »
+8

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20150617/log.50675f6afca284ca61206e88.1434563736204.txt

Code: [Select]
Village, Watchtower, Feast, Thief, City, Laboratory, Library, Venture, Bank, King's Court
He rushes Labs and Banks. I'm trying to play the long game with Cities, but I realize that I can't catch up. Then I get a Thief and steal his Banks. King's Court/Thief isn't quite as nice as King's Court/Saboteur, but it can be brutal on the right board.

svenisntb

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
Re: Thief Comeback
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 03:04:46 pm »

I'm a bit doubtful that the engine was a good play here. Seems like with no plus buy until level 3 Cities, money + labs should win. To me, the crucial mistake appears to be when he started helping you empty the City pile. If you had to buy those 4 additional Cities one by one the game would have been out of reach before you started greening.
I learned everything I know watching Wandering Winder on Youtube. This is not a joke.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 03:30:34 pm »
+2

I'm a bit doubtful that the engine was a good play here. Seems like with no plus buy until level 3 Cities, money + labs should win. To me, the crucial mistake appears to be when he started helping you empty the City pile. If you had to buy those 4 additional Cities one by one the game would have been out of reach before you started greening.

A money deck has to get half the VP or all the Provinces (or Colonies) before all of their treasure is destroyed. I don't see that happening here. Money can't angle for a 3-pile because of the Cities.

You can KC-Feasts to get extra gains once the engine is going. It's true that all this takes a long time to set up, but it doesn't matter because there's too much extra VP for the game to be out of reach.

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 04:02:24 pm »
+1

A money deck has to get half the VP or all the Provinces (or Colonies) before all of their treasure is destroyed. I don't see that happening here. Money can't angle for a 3-pile because of the Cities.

You can KC-Feasts to get extra gains once the engine is going. It's true that all this takes a long time to set up, but it doesn't matter because there's too much extra VP for the game to be out of reach.

Actually, I could have three-piled because of how many Feasts I had gone through early. Turn 21 I had noticed I needed $20 and 5 buys to end the game, and had $18 and 4, but in retrospect I obviously had better chances that he couldn't buy 32 points and that I would have $4 than I did trying to extend my lead and hoping to finish the Colonies before he caught me.

(I think the engine here might well be Labs into KC-Thief. I think I had enough of an early lead to trash his money before he can get close to activating the Cities.)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 07:16:55 pm by mith »

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 07:22:10 pm »
+1

Right, but you have a chance of 3-piling because your deck is still pretty enginey (contesting the Cities). What svensntb suggested doesn't have any pile control at all. Just Labs and treasures is toast here.

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 08:05:30 pm »

Oh, yeah, absolutely.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 05:07:34 pm »

Right, but you have a chance of 3-piling because your deck is still pretty enginey (contesting the Cities). What svensntb suggested doesn't have any pile control at all. Just Labs and treasures is toast here.
Well lab-bm isn't a thing. Here if it was province game getting double library, then 5 venture, 6 gold, 7 bank should win.

As this is colony game opponents labs was correct till first mistake of buying bank instead kc. That allows drawing entire deck. Then he would buy feast and with kc get two cities+feast. Mirror is quite complicated as one could activate cities mid-turn by feast and use kc-feast to gain more feasts so this would end quickly.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.