Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: unique governor game  (Read 1914 times)

bardo

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: g. lazalde
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
unique governor game
« on: June 15, 2015, 10:02:57 pm »

I'm putting this out there to see if it was mostly luck, or if there are some lessons to distill

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20150615/log.5319f973e4b08c4b63260c65.1434404007429.txt

Code: [Select]
Ambassador, Doctor, Lookout, Storeroom, Governor, Soothsayer, Altar, Border Village, Nobles, King's Court
None of us had any points until the last turn.

My first thought was that lookout was the better trasher for this particular board, but upon closer examination, my opponent trashed more than me. It seems that it was mostly a case of the drawing governor benefiting me as much as my opponent, compounded by the presence of a $7 card and a $6 victory for the trashing governor. I thought it was a good effort on his part to try and soothsayer himself back into contention. Given the spread at that point, it was worth a try.

Thoughts on lessons to draw and optimizing play in general?

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
Re: unique governor game
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 01:25:03 am »

First you should open ambassador-silver a this looks like long ambassador war decided by who manages junk other player more with kc-ambassador.
Ignore soothsayer, extra governor is better and you have ambassador as junker.
Also at start you should use governor as gold-gainer instead draw as it benefits you more than opponent and you need to hit 6 for engine pieces.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 08:07:33 am »

First you should open ambassador-silver a this looks like long ambassador war decided by who manages junk other player more with kc-ambassador.
Ignore soothsayer, extra governor is better and you have ambassador as junker.
Also at start you should use governor as gold-gainer instead draw as it benefits you more than opponent and you need to hit 6 for engine pieces.

I'm not sure about opening Ambassador; Shelters really hurt that opening. You will be slowed down, and your opponent will still be able to thin reasonably quickly.

I agree on Soothsayer though; Governor is by far the better Gold gainer if you need one, and having the opponent draw a card and gain a Curse probably helps them more than it hurts them.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 08:38:03 am »

The opening is tricky since the ambassador is vital but the shelters are problematic. Perhaps the first three buys need to be ambassador, lookout, and silver, perhaps in that order. The finish is likely to be a big king's court and governors turn where 6 cost cards are trashed for provinces. The game might look quite different depending on how the players use governors so there isn't just one way to reach that finish.

The soothsayer is situational here. You can use it when you feel that you will win a battle over deck size and can punish the opponent, gaining your own gold at the same time. In a multiplayer game, the decks will take longer to clean up and a soothsayer will look better.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 07:24:33 pm »

The opening is tricky since the ambassador is vital but the shelters are problematic. Perhaps the first three buys need to be ambassador, lookout, and silver, perhaps in that order. The finish is likely to be a big king's court and governors turn where 6 cost cards are trashed for provinces. The game might look quite different depending on how the players use governors so there isn't just one way to reach that finish.
Didn't noticed shelters. With them better order would be lookout, silver, ambassador. Yes mirror looks complicated, also one could use kc-altar to gain nobles/empty border villages+governors so piling gets quite tricky. Also one may remodel first governor into first kc to gain momentum.

The soothsayer is situational here. You can use it when you feel that you will win a battle over deck size and can punish the opponent, gaining your own gold at the same time. In a multiplayer game, the decks will take longer to clean up and a soothsayer will look better.
Yes on different boards. Here soothsayer helps opponent more with extra card. Governor's attack harms opponents deck by same amount and its nonterminal.

tailred

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ceviri
  • Respect: +368
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 08:02:30 am »

Didn't noticed shelters. With them better order would be lookout, silver, ambassador. Yes mirror looks complicated, also one could use kc-altar to gain nobles/empty border villages+governors so piling gets quite tricky.
Altar can't gain nobles/bv.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.