Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bug: Buying Herald with Talisman in play  (Read 2248 times)

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
Bug: Buying Herald with Talisman in play
« on: June 15, 2015, 02:10:48 pm »

When you have Talisman in play and buy a Herald, shouldn't you be able to choose to gain another copy of Herald before you do the overpay? In this way you can use the overpay to put the gained Herald on top your deck, before gaining the bought Herald. I just played a game IRL where we did it like that, but I tried it on "goko" now and it didn't work.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: Bug: Buying Herald with Talisman in play
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 02:20:35 pm »
+2

No because you gain the second Herald after bought the first Herald. Tailsman states when you buy a card 4 or less thats not a victory card you gain a copy. Thus the buying action takes place before the gaining action.

You misunderstand.  Gaining the second Herald is an on-buy effect, and it occurs at the same time as the overpay on-buy effect.  When things happen at the same time, you choose what order they happen in.  If you had a Haggler in play, the same thing would happen.  Or if there were a Haunted Woods or Swamp Hag from the previous player in play.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 02:22:30 pm »
+1

No because you gain the second Herald after bought the first Herald. Tailsman states when you buy a card 4 or less thats not a victory card you gain a copy. Thus the buying action takes place before the gaining action.

This isn't right.

When you buy the first Herald, 2 "when you buy" things trigger at the same time. Because both things belong to the same player (you), you get to choose the order that you resolve them in. So your choices are:

Choice 1) First do the "when you buy / overpay" thing. Deal with the overpaying, doing what it says. Second, do Talisman's "when you buy" thing; Gain a Herald.

Choice 2) First do Talisman's "when you buy" thing; gain a Herald. Then do Herald's "when you buy / overpay" thing, at which point the other gained Herald will be in your discard (but not the one you bought).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 02:36:42 pm »

I will still disagree but you guys are better. So I am most likely wrong. But to me the Overpay is an addition to the cost (to be paid at the same time as buying the card) and I think the cost needs to be paid before another card can be gained.

It clearly says "when you buy this" on the card. This means it's a when-buy effect like any other.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 05:05:46 pm »
+2

When you have Talisman in play and buy a Herald, shouldn't you be able to choose to gain another copy of Herald before you do the overpay? In this way you can use the overpay to put the gained Herald on top your deck, before gaining the bought Herald. I just played a game IRL where we did it like that, but I tried it on "goko" now and it didn't work.
Yes; I believe in the past the online version has not been so good about letting players order things like that, but it becomes common with Adventures so I am expecting them to get that stuff fixed.

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 07:31:27 pm »
+5

... I am expecting them to get that stuff fixed.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 20 queries.