Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What went wrong in this big draw board?  (Read 1992 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
What went wrong in this big draw board?
« on: January 03, 2012, 10:14:25 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/03/game-20120103-191042-ccc5cb8d.html

Both of us had the same idea. Build a big draw engine, draw most/all of your deck, buy lots of cards. We both did... reasonably similar things. I went slightly more into Governors to get some Golds, he went more into Rabbles for the extra draw. But yet, I got totally destroyed, 6 provinces to 2, and probably would have been 7-1 had I not broken PPR to risk catching up. Looking back at the game, I had quite a bit fewer +actions, but that's really about all I can make about why I lost this one.

Anyone got any clever ideas about it?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Epoch

• Tactician
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
Re: What went wrong in this big draw board?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 01:00:31 am »

Looks to me like he just get luckier.  With virtually identical decks after turn 4, his turn 5 is Village -> Envoy, while your turn 5 is Envoy -> $2 because you draw your villages from the Envoy.  His turn 6 is Village -> Rabble, while your turn 6 is Rabble -> I'm guessing mostly now-useless Actions.  His turn 7 is Village -> Rabble again, while your turn 7 is Village -> Village -> no drawer.

And at that point, it sounds like game to me.  Doubt there was much to be done.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 06:50:01 am »

I'm guessing that he got better value from the 2 silvers gifted by your governor than you did from your 2 gold. With his slightly better drawing deck he played those silvers more often.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 08:55:06 am »

Hm, yeah, I did feel like I got unlucky after the 2nd shuffle, but wasn't quite sure it was my deck stuttering or not. And perhaps he did get better value from those silvers. I should probably learn to avoid Governor more when it's out...
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.