Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion TVTropes page  (Read 4956 times)

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
Dominion TVTropes page
« on: June 12, 2015, 09:35:47 am »
+3

I'm just wondering if anybody else has read it yet. Link here.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Dominion TVTropes page
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 09:45:46 am »
+1

Not the Intended Use: Chapel (meant to be used on curses, it can also be used to prune your deck of your weak starting cards)

As expected of TVTropes!
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 09:45:59 am »
+1

TVTropes needs to stop trying to be Wikipedia.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 10:01:16 am »

Man I feel stupid. All this time I've been opening Tournament and rushing to Provinces to get Followers before my opponent, when I should have known that most often it's so late by the time I get it that it's worthless!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 10:03:36 am »
+1

Well, I've edited TVTropes before so I guess I could go in there and stir things up. Chapel, Prizes, anything else we need to "clarify"?
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 10:05:19 am »

It says Tactician is a form of "Extra Turn". I can see what it's going for, but still I'm pretty sure it's too significantly different enough from an extra turn to be there.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1021
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 10:10:56 am »
+1

It says Tactician is a form of "Extra Turn". I can see what it's going for, but still I'm pretty sure it's too significantly different enough from an extra turn to be there.

Well we're used to a pretty severe kind of pedantry on this forum, whereas TVTropes tends to want to go in the opposite direction to shoehorn as many examples as possible into each trope.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 10:19:56 am »

Well, I've edited TVTropes before so I guess I could go in there and stir things up. Chapel, Prizes, anything else we need to "clarify"?
I'm not sure about all the stuff about the history of the randomizer deck. It looks like a bunch of pseudo facts, but maybe that's all somewhere in the Secret Histories. And I'm not sure about making the BM deck using the randomizers. Is that a thing? I thought most people made a brown bordered randomizer deck. (I use the randomizers, but fetch a brown bordered card when somebody buys from BM).
And saying that the biggest "escalation" introduced by Intrigue is Harem is quite sad. It might be true, but it is still sad.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 10:53:26 am »
+3

It looks like a bunch of pseudo facts

Fixing pseudo facts on TVTropes isn't worth it, you'd have to rewrite the entire site from a scratch.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +301
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 02:27:27 pm »
+1

Well we're used to a pretty severe kind of pedantry on this forum, whereas TVTropes tends to want to go in the opposite direction to shoehorn as many examples as possible into each trope.

Don't forget shout outs!  Especially if some shoutouts to things that came after the relevant card was printed can be shoehorned in.

Pretty sure the whole game is a shoutout to Puzzle Strike.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 02:36:08 pm »
+1

The same applies to very expensive action or treasure cards: they are bought late in the game, not only after obtaining enough money but also after buying higher priority cards, so the window for using them before the game ends tends to be short.

Takeaway: don't waste you're time buying King's Courts -- you're much better off just buying a Province because the game is almost over.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 02:49:27 pm »
+4

TVTropes is such a weird site.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 07:07:02 pm »
+4

I'm personally a big fan of TVTropes, but then again I like it more for the analysis of story-based stuff (TV, books, movies, etc.) than for things like board games. It's good at what it does, which is pointing out trends in media.

I started putting in edits based on what I've been reading here. Thoughts?

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 12:25:20 pm »
+3

There's also the blue deck—one copy of every card in the game, but with a different backing. Originally intended to mark when a pile runs out, they did this job very badly. But shuffling them and drawing ten turns out to be an easy way to randomize which piles are used. They can also be used to form the deck for the promo card Black Market.

Duuude. I never realised you could use the randomisers in either of these ways. What a crazy idea, using the randomisers to choose the cards to use in a game.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 12:27:36 pm by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 12:28:28 pm »

There's also the blue deck—one copy of every card in the game, but with a different backing. Originally intended to mark when a pile runs out, they did this job very badly. But shuffling them and drawing ten turns out to be an easy way to randomize which piles are used. They can also be used to form the deck for the promo card Black Market.

Duuude. I never realised you could use the randomisers in either of these ways. What a crazy idea, using the randomisers to choose the cards to use in a game.

Has to be trolling, right?

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2015, 08:04:07 pm »

I remember reading the TV tropes page for Dominion some time ago. Heh, "Ambadassador".

I often read the TV tropes page of a fictional work like a show or a video game after having seen it. I rarely go on it nowadays.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.