Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14  All

Author Topic: Dominion Online Open Beta coming up shortly!  (Read 97310 times)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Online Open Beta coming up shortly!
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2015, 12:24:17 pm »

I lost on turns and it said 'Tie Game', although it did play the losing sound and had me listed in 2nd in the log.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2015, 12:24:32 pm »
+1

#gokowasbetter

Who would have thought we'd see the day?

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2015, 12:30:25 pm »

So huh has anyone around here been around a Civilization forum for a new game launch?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2015, 12:56:21 pm »

My opponent was having "connection troubles". It took a very long time for him to finally "quit". Maybe 15 minutes.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2015, 12:57:15 pm »

So huh has anyone around here been around a Civilization forum for a new game launch?

...yes.  I am tentatively optimistic for Rising Tide, but my hopes aren't very high.  Guess I gotta wait for the Moon to shove the water up a little more.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2015, 12:59:24 pm »

It's an interesting comparison, because Civ 4 had minor problems at launch, and Civ 5 had fatal problems at launch, and both of them were eventually made into very good games with lots of effort from a modding community.

Goko Dominion Online + Salvager is our Civ 5. I'm starting to think that MoFo Dominion Online 2.0 is our Beyond Earth.

Hmm, not even. At least you can mod Beyond Earth.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2015, 01:04:02 pm »
+1

My draw pile is claiming it contains a lot more cards than it does. It's very disconcerting.

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2015, 01:17:56 pm »

Go back and play Goko after playing this for a while. Crazy how much better it is (and looks).

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2015, 01:18:29 pm »
+6

Go back and play Goko after playing this for a while. Crazy how much better it is (and looks).

THAT WAS THEIR PLAN ALL ALONG!!!!!!

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2015, 01:41:49 pm »
+1

Well, I must say, the animations aren't even that annoying if you consider I have to click like, two cards to the left of anything to get the app to do what I want. Which is how I ended up opening Fool's Gold-Curse in stead of Fool's Gold-Rebuild.
I won't play anymore until this is fixed.. Anyone else have this problem?

This happened to me.  I think it means your monitor settings are off.  use this link for a foolproof way to know.

http://www.whatismyscreenresolution.com/
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hugovj
  • DFTBA
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2015, 01:56:59 pm »

Well, I must say, the animations aren't even that annoying if you consider I have to click like, two cards to the left of anything to get the app to do what I want. Which is how I ended up opening Fool's Gold-Curse in stead of Fool's Gold-Rebuild.
I won't play anymore until this is fixed.. Anyone else have this problem?

This happened to me.  I think it means your monitor settings are off.  use this link for a foolproof way to know.

http://www.whatismyscreenresolution.com/
Yep, this did the trick! Annoying that the game itself doesn't pick your resolution directly, but it works now.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +301
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2015, 02:22:02 pm »

#gokowasbetter

I was this close to registering the name gokowasbetter for this forum when I decided to post again.  But I'm lazy and it seemed disingenuous.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2015, 03:09:04 pm »
+13

This is just the second law of thermodynamics at work. Over time, implementations of online Dominion will get less and less polished.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2015, 03:18:17 pm »
+2

This is just the second law of thermodynamics at work. Over time, implementations of online Dominion will get less and less polished.

We must make an entropy offering to appease the gods of dominion.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2015, 03:57:14 pm »
+4

#gokowasbetter

Can we all please remember that, bad as the current state of 2.0 is, 1.0 remains? The only way this could actually be "worse" than when we went Iso > Goko would be if 1.0 were now gone.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2015, 04:20:57 pm »
+5

Current beta 2.0 seems essentially unplayable to me.

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2015, 04:29:18 pm »
+1

Can we all please remember that, bad as the current state of 2.0 is, 1.0 remains? The only way this could actually be "worse" than when we went Iso > Goko would be if 1.0 were now gone.

1.0 isn't taking people's money anymore. How long do you really think they'll keep maintaining it? How long can it go on without new players? We're in the equivalent of the period when both Iso and Goko existed and Iso was on notice, so it seems right to feel about the same despair as last time.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2015, 04:31:02 pm »
+6

I'm honestly not seeing why this is considered a disaster. Let's assume for a moment that blatant bugs will be fixed before release. (Even Goko did that.) Let's also assume that they will add the features they've said they're going to add before release, like the side log.

Here are some positives I see:
- Automatch UI is nice. Looks inspired by isotropic's UI, since there are expansion-bias options.
- More piles on the first page! Ruins no longer go on the second page.
- Point counter built into the game. Yes Salvager has one, but that requires installing a browser extension. Now it's more widely available.

Some negatives (other than the bugs):
- Seemingly no way to arrange a game with friends, and no hint of where that UI would go either.
- Feels like deja vu with the obtrusive animations, since Goko went through a phase with that too.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2015, 05:16:44 pm »
+1

It's not a disaster, just Hooli-Nucleus-phone-like.

Well seriously, I'm not sure what to do with the beta.  The video lag and slow response time makes it so unpleasant to play that I can't get a feel of pros/cons of the features.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2015, 05:24:17 pm »
+11

Let's assume for a moment that blatant bugs will be fixed before release. (Even Goko did that.) Let's also assume that they will add the features they've said they're going to add before release, like the side log.

How can anyone argue with this? It doesn't mean anything: "if they get everything right, everything will be right". I'm not optimistic based on the progress during the closed beta and what they are willing to put out as a public beta. I'm also happy to be wrong. Either way, I don't think they deserve any credit for words.

Some people are really dramatic about it, and sure they sound silly. Maybe you just don't like the dramatic tone, but the criticisms are totally legitimate, this version does not provide a working/enjoyable game of Dominion.

Here are some positives I see:
- Automatch UI is nice. Looks inspired by isotropic's UI, since there are expansion-bias options.
- More piles on the first page! Ruins no longer go on the second page.
- Point counter built into the game. Yes Salvager has one, but that requires installing a browser extension. Now it's more widely available.

The last two were bugged in the previous release, can't say about the most recent one (well the 2nd one is for sure still bugged in some cases). The expansion-bias was suspected to be bugged at some point, but I don't think anyone ever ran the numbers.

The big issue for me continues to be play speed. They haven't been terribly receptive to suggestions/requests related to this. Some things have gotten better in this area, some things have gotten worse throughout the beta.

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2015, 05:52:29 pm »

It sounds like, due to the payment processing closing from version 1.0, they were forced to put out the open beta of 2.0 before they wanted to. I'm sure they had hoped to have it in better shape by the deadline but it didn't happen.

I am concerned about comments from people in the closed beta about things not getting better or actually getting worse. I am willing to wait and see how things shape up over the next few weeks. I certainly hope they will leave 1.0 up until 2.0 is playable.

I also don't see any way to set up a game with a specific person. It will kill the leagues if that doesn't change.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2015, 05:56:11 pm »

I also don't see any way to set up a game with a specific person. It will kill the leagues if that doesn't change.

That's a promised feature they're aware is lacking.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2015, 05:57:06 pm »
+1

Tell you what.  Let's just swear off playing until they fix things.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2015, 05:59:50 pm »
+3

There is some logic in this.  Not as a protest, but just so they can fix existing problems instead of being inundated with new ones that might be worked out via existing fixes etc.

And yeah, in some ways the game plays worse now than it did in closed.  A lot of really obvious and head-scratching bugs appeared in this version, notably the one where text appears outside of cards. 
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2015, 06:04:58 pm »
+3

I have done this all throughout the closed beta. Every week they'd release a new version. Did they fix the animation? Oh, they didn't. Another week of no testing from me.

It's not that I'm boycotting it out of spite. I just have better things to do with my time than play a horribly slow, buggy game. Until they act on my current suggestion of "fix the animations already", I'm not going to waste time with it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.