Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14  All

Author Topic: Dominion Online Open Beta coming up shortly!  (Read 97695 times)

jvb

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Online Open Beta coming up shortly!
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2015, 04:53:28 am »
+1

Last week I thought about coming back to regular play, checked the site how much the game will cost ($45 for everything) but seeing that there is to be a new version released I decided to wait for it. Now the app says that the whole collection costs $90. Am i missing something or did it indeed increased that much?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2015, 05:12:59 am »
+9

They seem really set on rushing through the release of this new version, and I'm pretty worried they are going to take down the old version before all the problems with the new one are fixed.
I believe I know the reason for the rush.

Some other company was involved in the store. Collecting payments or whatever. That company decided to stop being a company. So the existing store simply wasn't going to work anymore, as of a date they couldn't control, which I am guessing is right around today.

Now, you can say, well, why not simply not accept payments for a bit? But it's no surprise that they didn't go for that.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2015, 06:04:45 am »
+2

Wow, just played a game on the new one, so many annoying things.

Why so many animations? The feedback from when you suggested it for Steam was "all these animations are completely pointless", yet you continued with them.
Clicked on a player to see their deck, and the rest of the game every time I moved the mouse, that kept moving (like the annnoying lobby scrollbar thing in the old version).
Couldn't find a way to actually use the chat, the chat bar was underneath the bottom of my screen for some reason- and also, why is the chat still in front of the cards?
Took ages to find a game, and halfway through, it completely jammed for no reason.
Also, there's no way of actually meeting up with people, you seem to just get randomly matched with someone, and you have no idea how good they are.

So my question is, have they actually improved this? Because IMO it's basically just a worse version of V1, since we can't use Goko Salvager, the only thing making the old version actually workable.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 06:08:04 am by Joseph2302 »
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2015, 06:09:41 am »

i just didnt gain a silver when my opponend gaines an embassy ;) twice

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2015, 06:25:01 am »
+3

Clicked on a player to see their deck, and the rest of the game every time I moved the mouse, that kept moving (like the annnoying lobby scrollbar thing in the old version).

It's a callback!

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hugovj
  • DFTBA
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2015, 08:08:42 am »

Well, I must say, the animations aren't even that annoying if you consider I have to click like, two cards to the left of anything to get the app to do what I want. Which is how I ended up opening Fool's Gold-Curse in stead of Fool's Gold-Rebuild.
I won't play anymore until this is fixed.. Anyone else have this problem?

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2015, 08:13:26 am »

Well, I must say, the animations aren't even that annoying if you consider I have to click like, two cards to the left of anything to get the app to do what I want. Which is how I ended up opening Fool's Gold-Curse in stead of Fool's Gold-Rebuild.

It looks like you found hard mode. :P

There must be something wrong, because when I go to playdominion.com I find the same old website and a noticeable lack of big green buttons. Or of big buttons of any other colors, for that matter.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2015, 08:13:48 am »
+1

I have never seen that.  You should report it to mf, possibly with screens.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2015, 08:24:29 am »
+29

Can I ask a stupid question?

Why did you bother with a closed beta?

We provided you with a bunch of feedback, lots and lots and lots of bugs and requests for things to get to the point where they're playable. That source of feedback was not going anywhere, and you weren't running out feature requests. Progress was slow, but things seemed to be getting fixed.

This most recent version has way more bugs, really really bad bugs, and now it's in open beta? Now everyone can see all of these terrible things? Now people are giving you 55 new bug reports about things that closed beta people found already and haven't been fixed yet? I don't get it.

This new version has so many new bugs and really problematic things, it's worse than some of the earlier versions we were using.

I was under the impression that you wouldn't be releasing this thing until it was ready. Now I'm super-worried. I've said it many times before but I'll say it again: if you take away the Goko version and leave us with something that doesn't work, you're going to have many, many upset people, myself included. I have a stream and YouTube channel with hundreds of followers/subscribers. If I don't have something to play that works, and that has an always-visible game log, I'm not going to hold back any punches.

I used to have faith that you guys had a good enough handle on things to not rush something out that wasn't ready. Now I read in this thread that you're under time pressure from something and so all of a sudden WOO OPEN BETA GUIZE! I have no idea why anyone thought this was a good idea.

I don't understand, and it really scares me.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hugovj
  • DFTBA
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2015, 08:32:02 am »

I have, now let's hope this gets fixed..

abura448

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2015, 08:45:15 am »

Last week I thought about coming back to regular play, checked the site how much the game will cost ($45 for everything) but seeing that there is to be a new version released I decided to wait for it. Now the app says that the whole collection costs $90. Am i missing something or did it indeed increased that much?

Exact same thought process I'm going through right now.... looks like I'll just play on Tuesday nights with my friends.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2015, 09:32:40 am »
+1

So anyone else have really choppy animations with the new version when set to higher speeds?  It seems like the speed options range from slow and tedious, but smoothish, to choppy and laggy.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2015, 09:35:03 am »

So anyone else have really choppy animations with the new version when set to higher speeds?  It seems like the speed options range from slow and tedious, but smoothish, to choppy and laggy.

Yes, they have been choppy since the beginning.  As far as I know the dev team is aware and just hasn't ironed everything out yet.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2015, 09:41:27 am »
+1

Yes, they have been choppy since the beginning.  As far as I know the dev team is aware and just hasn't ironed everything out yet.

Great, so now they're going to be flat, too?!

brokenlasagna

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2015, 09:47:23 am »
+3

Just played it... it's a little horrific. So much time wasted on stupid things like an animation over the curse pile when you curse someone, and all the sparklies for no reason... it's like.... lets focus on the trivial stuff first! At this rate, please leave the Goko version up forever, at least salvager makes that playable...

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2015, 10:17:42 am »
+14

Someday people will stop blurring the difference between an alpha and a beta.

Let's come out and say it:  much like Goko's initial "beta release," this is not a beta release.  This is an alpha: not feature complete, full of major and obvious bugs, not fully usable--certainly not what you want the general public to see.  It's much better than the Goko "beta," but that's like saying the Kon-Tiki was better than the Titanic--and it's still less polished than a number of open or semi-open alpha releases (see: Minecraft, Factorio, Prismata).

I can now understand why they didn't want the "closed beta" to be seen by the public; were I a software developer, I wouldn't want the alpha releases open to the public unless there was good reason to do so.

Of course, they apparently had to rush things because of a cash flow problem.  While I can't entirely blame them, I suspect the cash flow problem resulting from releasing this into the wild is going to be worse than the cash flow problem from not being able to accept payments for a few weeks.  Hey, maybe I'm wrong, I'm not a business guy.

I really did have some hope here.  In hindsight, that hope wasn't warranted.  Sad, I suppose.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2015, 10:41:38 am »

I'm guessing this is supposed to be the distinction:

Alpha: Not feature complete.

Beta: Feature complete, trying to niggle out the last few bugs, test for balance (not necessary in an online implementation of a complete game), test servers for heavy traffic.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

younglink7

• Pawn
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2015, 10:43:08 am »
+2

Yeah, I was all excited about potentially completing my online collection and diving into playing online with friends. Previously it was somewhere in the $30s (I think - it was much lower anyways). Now it is telling me that it costs $60 to complete.  I still have no clue as to why I need to overpay with these Gokoi...er...Ducats.  Why not just allow me to make a standard in-app purchase with real money?

The choppy-ness and the animations really bugged me to the point that I quit playing after a few hands.  Mostly because I have been waiting for the non-Goko version for so long that I pictured that it would be somewhat superior even in beta.  It was so deflating to wait this long for something that feels less polished....

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2015, 10:52:03 am »
+4

What I like: the automatch.
What I don't like: everything else.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2015, 10:57:29 am »
+2

What I really don't understand is why they rebuilt the game exactly like Goko's version.

It's almost like they just copied the sprites and code...
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2015, 10:57:44 am »
+7

The changing heads while waiting for an automatch?  That is really the biggest thing that gets me right now. 
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2015, 11:05:53 am »
+7

Ah. Another thing I like: showing the empty piles after the game.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2015, 11:22:03 am »

What I like: the automatch.
What I don't like: everything else.
The automatch is good, however the option of having to use it is annoying.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2015, 11:30:35 am »
+1

I have, now let's hope this gets fixed..

I had the same problem, and this fixed it:
At the start of the game, select a resolution that has the same height/width ratio as your screen. If you did this right, Rio Grande Games' logo at the loading screen should feature a round sun, and buttons will work properly.

I played a couple of games vs AI (that's how I usually play) and it worked smoothly. No annoying animations whatsoever, no sparkles. I'm not sure what people are referring to. The cost increase is a huge bummer.
AI felt a lot more stupid than usual.

EDIT: oh, and Salvager is sorely missed. But as long as it will come later, it's good. I didn't expect to immediately switch to 2.0 anyway.
EDIT2: a second kingdom included some really sparkling cards. I agree that it's really unnecessary, and a bit annoying (in particular the sparkles going from a played card to all the cards in the Supply). Still reading the comments here I was expecting much worse. I'm a slow player, and that might be a factor.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 12:00:42 pm by Accatitippi »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2015, 11:48:44 am »
+15

#gokowasbetter

Who would have thought we'd see the day?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.