Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Version 2 FAQ, login converter  (Read 11728 times)

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
Version 2 FAQ, login converter
« on: June 10, 2015, 01:36:53 am »
+9

Version 2 FAQ:
http://forum.makingfun.com/showthread.php?6865-Version-2-FAQ

Login converter:
https://api01.prod.dominion.makingfun.com/fun/dominion/socialToLocal
By default it has access to your Google+ friends and right to contact them. You can disable that right and still set the new password.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 06:54:57 am by yed »

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
Re: Version 2 FAQ, login corverter
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 03:46:15 am »
+12

Ducats and Favors are now the coins of the realm. Dominion-specific Ducats have replaced Gokoins as the game’s currency. Players receive 1.4 Ducats for each Gokoin previously in their account balance. For example, a player who had 10 Gokoins receives 14 Ducats in Dominion Online 2.0.

Favors are one-use items that provide a player with one extra turn at the beginning of a campaign game. Version 1 players receive Favors according to how many Dominion Coins and Zaps they had. A single Favor costs 25 units. Your Dominion Coins plus 7x your current Zaps equal your units. For example, a player with 100 Coins and 10 Zaps will have 170 units, which will get them 6 Favors. The maximum number of Favors a player can receive in this conversion is 10. (The very first release doesn’t fully support Favors, but they will be ready to use in your account for when support for using Favors is added.)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: Version 2 FAQ, login converter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 09:06:08 am »
+8

Given that it launches tomorrow, and this FAQ is out, I think I can safely say this:
* This is not an aesthetic redesign.  It still looks more or less the same, apart from mechanical things that have changed, such as getting rid of all those rooms.  The "complete overhaul" was to the code, and MF have tried their darnedest to make things look as close to what they did before.  And before you ask, yes, we closed beta testers have been pushing as much as possible for them to not feel beholden to the previous aesthetic.
* These people are not Goko.  It took Goko months just to make incremental changes.  It took them over a year to release all the expansions.  MF has consistently made visible improvements each week with each new release, and they have been listening to our suggestions.  I understand your suspicions, Goko burned us all pretty hard, but I think over the past month or so MF have earned our good faith.  So please, offer up suggestions if you have them (that's what a beta process is for), but try not to be antagonistic about it.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

DavidTheDavid

• Dominion Online Staff
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 11:23:10 am »
+4

Thanks, werothegreat. The game is a rewrite of the code, not a redesign of the interface, though elements have been, and will be, redesigned. There's still a lot to do, but things will move fast from here. We're very aware of the bad taste that the Goko experience left people with, and we want to deliver the online experience that the game and its players deserve. The CEO and Jeff, not to mention myself and others at Making Fun, all play Dominion tabletop. It continues to be one of the best indie board games out there, and it's exciting to be a part of this effort. Version 2.0 still has a lot of work, but it will get there. If you need to reach us, please use our forums or the contact bug. Things are about to get super busy, so I may not make it over here with any regularity.

And lest I forget, many thanks to the folks in this community who helped with the closed beta. It was a huge assistance.

Now I have to go log more tickets....  :o

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 01:45:02 pm »
+5

I really don't understand why you basically rewrote the same interface.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 02:15:02 pm »
+3

I really don't understand why you basically rewrote the same interface.

It's about maintainability of the code base. Goko outsourced the coding of the client to an overseas developer. They wrote a bunch of awful spaghetti code that only they could have any hope of maintaining. Now that MakingFun has taken over development, that code has become a (bigger) roadblock to fixing bugs and adding new features. So MakingFun decided to have their own pet overseas developer remake the client from scratch. Now it's going to be a bunch of awful spaghetti code that only that team can decipher. So this should be an improvement, assuming there isn't too much employee turnover in the outsourced team and assuming that the license isn't sold to yet another developer.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 02:18:34 pm by LastFootnote »

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 02:17:14 pm »
+2

Well sure, but since you were doing everything from scratch anyway, why preserve the old, inferior interface when everything under the hood is shiny and new?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 02:18:26 pm »

Well sure, but since you were doing everything from scratch anyway, why preserve the old, inferior interface when everything under the hood is shiny and new?

Man, beats me.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 03:01:04 pm »
+5

So I'm going to copy/paste my post from a couple years ago. This is basically a list of reasons why I never paid money for Goko, or things that I would need to see happen before I considered buying it. It would be good to know which if any of these things will still be an issue in the new version. Heck for all I know some of them have already been changed/fixed on Goko in the last couple years.

So I've been playing on Goko over the last week. Multiplayer games; not owning any sets. I've toyed with the idea of going ahead and buying all the sets; it almost seems good enough for me to do so. But there's a list of things stopping me; things that must be in place before I'm willing to do so. Roughly ranked by importance.

1. Automatch. I know that they've already said that this is one of their top priorities. But I am completely confused as to why the current system would ever exist at all. The whole idea of hosting a game vs finding a game to join doesn't seem like it would be any easier to have implemented than automatch, and I can't think of any advantages to it. It makes a large portion of the play experience quite unenjoyable; it's as if you have to be the host if you want to actually have fun playing.

Let me explain... if I'm looking for a game to join, and not hosting one, then this is what happens. I sit around in a lobby for a couple minutes waiting until a new game pops up. At this point, I have no idea if it's a game with all the sets, or just the base set, or what. Some people put "all cards" in the game name.. great. But no everyone does; and heck, nothing's stopping people from saying that even if it's not true!

If it's a casual game, I can look at the list of cards being used... of course, by the time I click the button to see that list, and see that it's a game I want to play, more than half the time someone else has already taken the spot; so much for that game. And then if it's a pro game, I basically just have to join it in hopes that it's not base set only... and more than half the games I've joined this way so far were base set only. So now I'm stuck playing a game that frankly I find quite boring.

So it would seem that the obvious solution to all these problems is to buy all the sets, and host my own game. I'm not cheap; I'm not wanting something for free... I'm fine with paying money for it to play that way. But then, who am I playing against? People like my current self... after all, it's just been shown that the only way to get a good game is to host it yourself. So most likely I'm playing against people who don't own all the sets... otherwise they would most likely be hosting themselves. So all Dominion players are broken into 2 groups of people; the hosters and the joiners. And ironically, this would be perfect; if hosters mainly played other hosters and joiners mainly played other joiners... because they're more likely to be similar types of players. But instead, it's forced that a hoster can only play a joiner; the exact opposite of ideal.

Ok, that was a really long rant; hopefully the rest of the issues will be more succinct.

2. It needs to run on the iPad. By which I mean my iPad; as mentioned in another thread, I can't play it at all without it crashing. Sure it's 1st generation. Sure maybe almost 3 years is a really long time in the world of fast-moving technology; especially Apple technology. But on the other hand, it's less than 3 years old. It's not exactly a legacy dinosaur here... it's pretty new. And the entire reason and philosophy behind Goko is supposed to be mobile support. I need to be able to play on my iPad.

3. Refreshing window / disconnects. There are just so many reasons I can think of that you might get kicked out of a game... your browser crashed (especially an issue on the iPad); you accidentally closed the tab while trying to click or close something else; your internet connection flickered off; your computer crashed and you restarted; you accidentally hit F5 or the refresh button... You need to be able to continue your game where you left off if any of those things happen.

4. The in-game log currently shows the entire game. After pages and pages of debate about whether the PCE was cheating; whether taking notes by hand in a IRL game was cheating; etc, etc... all of which, in my opinion, was clearly concluded by Donald X himself repeatedly stating that note-taking was cheating, unless agreed upon, then it's a variant... after all that, the official implementation keeps a full-game log of everything that happens. To me this is a big variant on the game; much more so than just a point-counter. It completely removes all memory aspect of the game; which is an important skill-set that Dominion includes.

5. They need to get rid the remaining places where you are forced to drag a card to a specific location to tell the system what you want to do. This is a strange one, because they actually fixed this problem for several cards already! I can't remember a full list of either the things they already changed, or the ones they still need to change... but I do know that the other day, when I played Oracle, I ended up putting my Grand Market in the discard pile because it's this tiny little icon that's directly next to this other tiny little icon for the draw pile. To drag a card into the right spot is just way too easy to make a mistake on. Plus it simply adds to the play time and physical effort involved... I know it's only an extra couple of seconds, but it adds up. Just let me click a button instead!

6. They need to fix other pointless things that they make you click, or watch, when stuff happens. Again I don't have a full list, but just a few that come to mind that bother me enough to take away my enjoyment of the game: When I play a Moneylender, why do I have to choose a Copper to trash? When I play a Beggar, why do I have to sit there and watch and 1 Copper gets added to my hand, then another Copper gets added to my hand, then another Copper gets added to my hand? Just add 3 Coppers to my hand! Yes, I know that if you have Trader or Watchtower or Royal Seal around that the events need to be resolved 1 at a time. You can deal with the edge cases without making it tedious the other 95% of the time. When I buy a Mandarin with my opening $5, why do I have to choose the order in which my 5 Coppers go back on top of my deck? Also, apparently if I try to click farthest left one during this time, it doesn't put it back, rather it opens the larger view of the card. Clicking the other ones puts them back.

7. I need to see all the Supply cards at once. They want to keep Spoils, Prizes, Madmen, and Mercenaries separate; fine. Back to that 95% things; it's so rare that anyone cares how many of those are left. But Ruins, and more importantly the 11th Kingdom card when there's Young Witch absolutely need to be on the same screen. I shouldn't have to page through things to find the card I want to buy. Some say that if you see Young Witch in the Kingdom, you should just be used to a second page. Not good enough for me. Also, though it would be very rare... what if Young Witch ends up being the next-page card? You see 10 non-Young Witch Kingdom cards... in a game without any other special cards... would you ever bother checking the second page? The fact is that the current UI design is simply completely short-sighted and poorly done for a game that can have more than 10 cards out at once. Having Estates go with the Treasures in a Colony game is similar. It may not be as much of a big deal, but it's terrible design.

I think that's actually it. With all that in place, I would be annoyed at the fact that a game still takes about twice as long as a game of Iso... but I would enjoy playing it enough to pay money for it and wouldn't care to compare it to a product that no longer exists.

Is that too much to ask?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 03:48:13 pm »
+1

Inferior to what?

And if the answer is Isotropic, then I'm sorry, but that's not a reasonable expectation, from a visual standpoint. If they redid all the graphic design from scratch, they'd still end up somewhere close to what we have today, because the game needs to be visually appealing enough to draw interest. You could play Dominion with cards written on index cards, but Rio Grande sure wouldn't publish it like that, and consumers wouldn't buy it like that.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 03:52:27 pm »

Given that it launches tomorrow, and this FAQ is out, I think I can safely say this:
* This is not an aesthetic redesign.  It still looks more or less the same, apart from mechanical things that have changed, such as getting rid of all those rooms.  The "complete overhaul" was to the code, and MF have tried their darnedest to make things look as close to what they did before.  And before you ask, yes, we closed beta testers have been pushing as much as possible for them to not feel beholden to the previous aesthetic.
* These people are not Goko.  It took Goko months just to make incremental changes.  It took them over a year to release all the expansions.  MF has consistently made visible improvements each week with each new release, and they have been listening to our suggestions.  I understand your suspicions, Goko burned us all pretty hard, but I think over the past month or so MF have earned our good faith.  So please, offer up suggestions if you have them (that's what a beta process is for), but try not to be antagonistic about it.

I agree with these points, mainly #2, with reservations about the first.  I personally find this version inferior aesthetically, even though the layout is the same.  Well, I also have some faith the problems will be softened over time, but that time hasn't come.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 03:55:16 pm »
+4

Inferior to what?

And if the answer is Isotropic, then I'm sorry, but that's not a reasonable expectation, from a visual standpoint. If they redid all the graphic design from scratch, they'd still end up somewhere close to what we have today, because the game needs to be visually appealing enough to draw interest. You could play Dominion with cards written on index cards, but Rio Grande sure wouldn't publish it like that, and consumers wouldn't buy it like that.

As if the current GUI and iso are the only two options?

It isn't exactly impossible to make something that's both visually appealing and minimalistic.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 04:01:52 pm »

Inferior to what?

I'm not talking about iso. I get that good graphics/presentation are important! I'm talking about what I've seen based on their Steam greenlight thing, which was allegedly this new version (who knows what I'll see tomorrow). In that, the Supply all still wasn't on one page (fixed now though I think?), no indication that cards lost their weird interfaces (Watchtower, etc.), and I don't like the fact that you have to click to see everyone else's tokens/VP chips/etc. I get that screen real estate is precious, but now is the time to fix these things.

GendoIkari's post is good too, btw. Most of those things aren't fixed yet.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 04:34:45 pm »

Inferior to what?

Even if the interface didn't suck, they should remake it so people don't think that the new implementation is the same as the old one

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 04:37:02 pm »
+5

Even if the interface didn't suck, they should remake it so people don't think that the new implementation is the same as the old one

But then we'd have to pay exactly more for it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +301
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 04:49:09 pm »
+1

So I wanted to ask this on the Making Fun forums, but I can't solve the captcha after about the 15th try and I can't make out the audio one either.

But maybe it's better to ask where ragingduckd can see anyway.

Does anyone know if the Isotropish ratings will still be around, or will it not be possible to access the postgame logs.  And what about the log viewer/search?

Alternatively will there be a rating that doesn't decay over time if this isn't available?

If it's that last one, I realize probably no one on here knows, but maybe someone who is not an artificial intelligence could try asking on Making Fun?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 04:51:11 pm by UmbrageOfSnow »

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 04:52:17 pm »
+2

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 05:14:38 pm »
+2

You're back!!
Yes, and I'm sorry.

My whole life kind of went to hell there, and then in the year or so since it stopped being so bad, I've been basically overcome by guilt about those mafia games.  But it is nice to be back.  It took that stupid captcha to get me over being embarassed to be frustrated enough to post, but I'm glad I did.  Now I will post all the time, since it's out that I'm not dead.

I'm being weird, I'm sorry.  Perhaps my programing is buggy.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2015, 05:17:47 pm »

I am sure the postgame logs will be available online, so all those things can still work once they're updated to parse any changes in format.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2015, 05:21:57 pm »

Great, thanks.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2015, 05:23:14 pm »

I am sure the postgame logs will be available online, so all those things can still work once they're updated to parse any changes in format.

You think the colors will be a problem?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2015, 05:46:46 pm »

The login converter doesn't seem to work for Facebook. It says the app is still in development mode and I don't have access to it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2015, 01:45:30 am »
+2

So MakingFun decided to have their own pet overseas developer remake the client from scratch. Now it's going to be a bunch of awful spaghetti code that only that team can decipher.

Am I the only one who caught the dry cynicism here?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2015, 09:15:10 am »

The login converter doesn't seem to work for Facebook. It says the app is still in development mode and I don't have access to it.

This has been fixed.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

abura448

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2015, 09:22:16 am »

Is there a way to link your Facebook account to your previously existing Dominion online profile? I didn't originally sign up for Dominion Online using my Facebook account and now when trying to edit my profile in v1 I don't see a way to be able to do this.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 22 queries.